Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen 1974 bus engine, good or no?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caden422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Volkswagen 1974 bus engine, good or no? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm very new to Volkswagen Buses but I've recently fallen in love with owning one. I bought the manual How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, but I was hoping you guys could help me out with knowing if somethings wrong with this engine as I'm still a little unsure due to being knew. I thought it could be an issue with the lifters or a cylinder but my friend says it sounds ok for an air cooled engine and just needs a tune up/ fixed timing. Any help would be great, here's a link to a YouTube video of it running. https://youtu.be/EWHioaUj6PY [/youtube]
caden422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen 1974 bus engine, good or no? Reply with quote

sorry i forgot to mention its a 1974 type 2 bus if that helps any
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen 1974 bus engine, good or no? Reply with quote

noises on YouTube videos are very hard to diagnose because the mic pics up different sounds etc . In saying that it sounds like an exhaust leak .
Buses have 2 different engines , a flat type 4 engine or an upright type 1 engine ,the same used in a bug . That is a type 4 engine .

It is hard to see on the video but it looks like the engine bay sealing tin and seal is missing , (google pictures of bus type 4 engine bay and you will see a big foam seal that goes all the way around the engine . )if so this is bad and causes severe overheating because the hot exhaust is recirculated by the cooling fan back over the engine .

one of the results of over heating the cylinder heads on type 4's is the heads get soft and the exhaust studs pull out of the heads , giving and exhaust leak at the head. the only proper way to fix that is replace the heads . A pair of heads are worth approx $1000 .
caden422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen 1974 bus engine, good or no? Reply with quote

Thank you, this really helped me out
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen 1974 bus engine, good or no? Reply with quote

Caden, The T-4 engine is a much stronger engine which is needed for a heavy non aerodynamic bus. That said unlike a bug a bus is like bigger garage, the larger it is the more junk you put in it. That comes down to weight.

The T-4 engine in a bug lasts a long time, mine as been in my bug for 30 years, same engine. less weigh less the engine has to work. In a light bug the T-4 is very forgiving.

A loaded bus can weight 3 times a bug with full travel gear.

Just keep that in mind, like Wreck said keep the engine compartment sealed

I am sure you will be receiving other helpful tips. Buses are a very sort after vehicles.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen 1974 bus engine, good or no? Reply with quote

My Bus engine sounded like that too and with all the missing tin and engine compartment seals that one is most likely a cracked head. That is what was wrong with mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: