Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

Hi guys. I need the shim size for the oil splash shield that goes on the rear axle bearing cap seal for swing axle cars. This is for a short axle 65.

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

Bump
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

What size are you referring to, thickness, or diameter? I would think the thickness could vary, maybe .020-.040. The inner diameter is going to be the axle size, so maybe 1.18/30mm. The outer diameter is going to be just shy of the seal diameter, so maybe 1.96-2.36/50mm-60mm.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

hi there. thanks for the info. i am trying to fgure out the thickness and ID OD. maybe someone has a spare they can measure? I found some on ebay but theyre located overseas.

thank you
Aiden
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

Hey, I was looking at Wolfsburg West’s site, and it looks like their deluxe axle seal kits include the oil deflection washer.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111598051A
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Hey, I was looking at Wolfsburg West’s site, and it looks like their deluxe axle seal kits include the oil deflection washer.

lol i ended up ordering the shims from europe and it cost me more in shipping than if i had bought two sets of the kit you linked. makes you wonder where WW gets their shims.

thank you tho
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

lol i ended up ordering the shims from europe and it cost me more in shipping than if i had bought two sets of the kit you linked. makes you wonder where WW gets their shims.

thank you tho

WW is one of the few aftermarket companies that goes the extra mile on things, and contracts a lot of things to be made for them. I would image if/when you do find the actual diameter/thickness, having a company stamp/waterjet shims from a known thickness sheet wouldn’t be to difficult. WW has the advantage of the more you make, the less cost per unit.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

I think I got an axle seal kit from Airhead many years ago that also had the slinger disc in it. That was a long time ago though, but I remember taking a photo of it over a decade ago. Diameter only, not thickness, but it's certainly not flimsy. Looks like 51.5mm or so...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help. Need oil shield bearing cap shim size Reply with quote

hi, thanks for the picture. i measured the axle and got 30mm. then i meassured the step on the axle cap and got 60mm.

the 60mm could be wrong as for i couldnt get the teeth of the caliper in there enough but i ordered a set of the slingers and i will measure then and post up upon arrival.

thanks again
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: