Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bondo vs Fiberglass for fillers?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Bondo vs Fiberglass for fillers? Reply with quote

The rear apron of my super has been built up using regular pink bond.. it has failed in spots and in looking around the parts store i see fiberglass bondo, conventional bondo, "gold" bondo…. but little info on the proper uses and differences of each.. thoughts???
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing most are porous like, well, lets say whipped cream.
So they must be coated with a sealer, but are lighter and maybe more flexible than if it wasn't whipped.

Then there is non-porous spot putty, which works just like regular except isn't porous. it's a bit heavier, can be useful as a second coat over the regular filler or for small touch ups. If you try the fiberglass stuff then this would be good to put over it and get a good finish.

IMO if any filler it is applied too thick or used in areas that flex or get too hot then it will crack.

The fiber-glass stuff is horrible to work with but it is stronger, and heavy. Does seem to add some strength but really I haven't found much use for it. Probably good to use to repair fiberglass with.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the apron. they get hot on stock applications and you will have to deal with sinkage/repeat failures in that area. just my .02

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the failure is a cheap product and sometimes the failure is due to the fact of a inexperienced repair.....I have always had really good luck with the "Gold" fillers....products such as Evercoat make great fillers. If I have welded a part together I use a skim coat of a fiberglass based filler such as "Durglas" over the top of the welded areas because the fiberglass based filler are moisture proof and regular fillers are not that way if there is a tiny pin hole in the welded area where moisture could get through the fiberglass product will not absorb it as a regular filler would.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heating and cooling from the exhaust will just cook the filler on the apron. Replace it if it needs anything more than a skim coat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always "heard" that bondo shouldn't be more than 1/8" thick....and I think that's pushing it...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
punkabillyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

max thickness for bondo is 1/4" after that any flex at all will crack, have large amount of pinholes fiberglass is horrid to work with but quite strong all metal is a bondo style product with metal shaving in it stronger than fiberglass but also quite pricey for the amount the route i would personally run is to get a soldering gun and fill it with either solder or lead {lead can be got extremely cheap most tire shops will donate there old wheel weights} this gets rid of the flex issue porosity issue and heat problems and when done properly cant even tell it was ever repaired
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bondo vs Fiberglass for fillers? Reply with quote

I know this may be a long shot but I found the last bit of rot on my 65. Under the rear windshield. My dad used fiberglass filler to cover similar rot entirely.

Would fiberglass filler hold up on something like this?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If not, I have access to a donar car. But as you know double layer complex shapes can be time consuming.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bondo vs Fiberglass for fillers? Reply with quote

If you never get it wet you POR15 it and you remove the active rust it will last a while but it’s no replacement for doing it right. But sometimes it doesn’t make sense to do it right.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Breadford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bondo vs Fiberglass for fillers? Reply with quote

Cut that rust out, and weld new piece of metal. If you use fiberglass, it will be worse over time.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bondo vs Fiberglass for fillers? Reply with quote

yeah i figured the filler would be a bad idea. plus the idea with the car was to get the body so straight filler would only be needed as skim coat.

i will just make my own bends first and see if they turn out well.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bondo vs Fiberglass for fillers? Reply with quote

I would also be tempted to try my own patch pieces first.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: