Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digital Idle Stabilizer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I have a 85 1.9 digijet and I’m trying to understand what the Digital Idle Stabilizer actually does (little green box) From what I’ve read on the forum it sounds like it’s job is to keep my idle above a certain rpm by adjusting the timing?

The problem I am having is the van will idle fine with the DiS plugged in but will drop rpm and die at idle when I have it bypassed.

The real kicker is the van will randomly/ instantly die driving or at idle even with the DIS connected and it will crank no start until I bypass it. I read that the DIS could be stopping a component from letting my van restart.

Even if my van runs absolute horrible when the DIS is out does that mean the van is running “fine” when the DIS is in. Is the DIS just masking another issue because the van should run without one or is the DIS doing its job and I should buy another DIZ because of its intermittent failure?

Thanks, I know I keep asking different questions about my van but this time I think I’m on to something.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Sounds like test questions for a 300 level course in Vanagon Philosophy.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Try raising the idle.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I raised the idle with the DIS in and drove around town. Ran perfectly (slightly high idle)

Then parked it for 20 mins and started up and tried to pull out of the parking lot and instantly dead.

cranked a few times then finally softly started back up with a weak idle (dropping but kept my foot hovering on the gas)

Then 30 feet later died again at a light. I hopped in the back and bypassed the DIS and the van started up better than it has and kept idle perfectly.

the van is warmed up now so the idle seems to get better. I don't think my van has every died while giving it gas with the DIS bypassed, seems to be only dying from a surging idle. Which makes me think the DIS is failing and a new one might do the trick?

I am going to purchase one off eBay for $100
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I have run without a DIS for the last ten years. No power steering or AC though.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

and that's why I'm so confused. seems everyone else can run without theirs but cold starting my engine cant keep idle. Ill buy a new DIS and see what happens
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
and that's why I'm so confused. seems everyone else can run without theirs but cold starting my engine cant keep idle. Ill buy a new DIS and see what happens

The AAR is what gives you a boost in rpms when the engine is cold. Is your working correctly? Pull it and check it when cold to see if you can see through it.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Yes I think so. I took it out and put it in the freezer and it opened up and it closed when I put it in the oven at like 100 Degrees. Maybe its not opening up enough when its cold? Ill pull it out and take photos this time.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
Yes I think so. I took it out and put it in the freezer and it opened up and it closed when I put it in the oven at like 100 Degrees. Maybe its not opening up enough when its cold? Ill pull it out and take photos this time.

They are somewhat adjustable, and it's possible that you have one that was designed for some other engine as they are not a one size fits all.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

That's a good point because I am missing one of the bolts to connect it to the engine. I am thinking the PO may have switched it out at some point, who knows.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: