Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

I am getting ready to change the ATF for the first time (new to me van). I'd like to try and do a complete ATF 'flush' as others here have suggested by draining from the dipstick tube a few times to get the dirty fluid from the TQ out.

My question: which would be the most logical sequence?

Should I begin draining from the dipstick tube and refilling a few times first, and then drop the pan and change the filter, etc?

Or, would it be best to drop the pan first, get the cruft out, and then do the periodic fluid drain/refills?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

I changed oil first because it was cold, I didn't have a filter kit and I was lazy.

I need to drop the pan still and I'm a dozen qts in.

I'd drop it sooner rather than later.
The new oil will "wash" the insides because they have a built in detergent package.
Not a bad thing but your clean oil will dirty up quickly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

If it were my van, I would drop the ATF pan/dipstick tube assembly, allow as much fluid to drain as possible, change the filter, and reassemble. Then carefully add fluid to the bottom tip of the dipstick. Then start the van and let it idle, checking fluid every few minutes.

Then do the standard 6 mile test drive, park level, leave engine on, and check fluid level.

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

if you wanted a true flush you could use a flush/fill machine or do what we did at the dealer when ours boke (which was more often than not)

pull the trans cooler line off the FEED side of the cooler and put it in a bucket. start the car and keep pouring in ATF until it comes out clean.

the SECOND the line in the bucket burps/skips/jumps SHUT IT DOWN or you could burn the pump up. you simply won't be able to pour the fluid in as fast as it can pump it out

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if you wanted a true flush you could use a flush/fill machine or do what we did at the dealer when ours boke (which was more often than not)

pull the trans cooler line off the FEED side of the cooler and put it in a bucket. start the car and keep pouring in ATF until it comes out clean.

the SECOND the line in the bucket burps/skips/jumps SHUT IT DOWN or you could burn the pump up. you simply won't be able to pour the fluid in as fast as it can pump it out

No feed lines. VW automatic totally self contained.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I'd drop it sooner rather than later.
The new oil will "wash" the insides because they have a built in detergent package.
Not a bad thing but your clean oil will dirty up quickly.
Dave

Wouldn’t that be an argument for dropping later? Let the detergents do their thing and then allow the crud to drop down to the filter/pan, etc.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
If it were my van, I would drop the ATF pan/dipstick tube assembly, allow as much fluid to drain as possible, change the filter, and reassemble. Then carefully add fluid to the bottom tip of the dipstick. Then start the van and let it idle, checking fluid every few minutes.

Then do the standard 6 mile test drive, park level, leave engine on, and check fluid level.

kourt

Are you saying that you wouldn’t do the ‘flush’ before or after these steps? This is what I’d do to simply change the ATF and live with the dirty TQ fluid mixed in.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Dave

I’m actually going to be installing the GW cooler at the same time, so I believe I could do it this way, correct?
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

kourt

Are you saying that you wouldn’t do the ‘flush’ before or after these steps? This is what I’d do to simply change the ATF and live with the dirty TQ fluid mixed in.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

I understand your query better now.

You could do a flush, as others describe in this thread. Work from the ports on the fore end of the transaxle, while the engine is running. You’ll have to be really on top of keeping the supply source bucket full.

I’ve never had any need to do that kind of flush myself. I’ve rebuilt a few transaxles, but just refill them as I originally described when done.

The flush is a ‘nice to have’ operation, but I wouldn’t set my mind on it.

Kourt
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

If your old fluid is so bad it can't be mixed 50/50 with new fluid and still serve its purpose then your transmission is likely junk already and won't benefit from even a standard half drain and refill.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

if you shitcan the original cooler it isn't but you could also use a pressure port as well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I understand your query better now.

You could do a flush, as others describe in this thread. Work from the ports on the fore end of the transaxle, while the engine is running. You’ll have to be really on top of keeping the supply source bucket full.

I’ve never had any need to do that kind of flush myself. I’ve rebuilt a few transaxles, but just refill them as I originally described when done.

The flush is a ‘nice to have’ operation, but I wouldn’t set my mind on it.

Kourt

Thanks. I am a bit OCD when it comes to certain things. The fluid doesn't look bad and shifts are fine. I may just do the dipstick drop flush a few times and call it good.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

just do kourt's procedure and repeat more frequently than the std. time interval

it'll be fine
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

brickster wrote:

Thanks. I am a bit OCD when it comes to certain things.

this reminds me... have you changed the power steering fluid?

how about the filter inside the reservoir for it?
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
brickster wrote:

Thanks. I am a bit OCD when it comes to certain things.

this reminds me... have you changed the power steering fluid?

how about the filter inside the reservoir for it?

I have manual steering, but thanks for the reminder anyway!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission 'Flush' Sequence Reply with quote

brickster wrote:

Kourt

Thanks. I am a bit OCD when it comes to certain things. The fluid doesn't look bad and shifts are fine. I may just do the dipstick drop flush a few times and call it good.[/quote]

You do need to access the filter and clean or replace it from time to time, this is one of the things I like to do when I buy a new to me vehicle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: