Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

Nobody can share what's going on in that facebook group without getting banhammer'd. Does anyone know what happened recently?

Either way, I do hope some change comes out of it.

It certainly reminds me that being an admin is no small task, and some folks who start as an admin within a small group can get very overwhelmed if the group grows exponentially.

Thank you to our admins and mods here at The Samba, I recognize it's a lot of hard work!
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:

Thank you to our admins and mods here at The Samba, I recognize it's a lot of hard work!

Applause to them from me too

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

If you dive into a pool of wankers, you will get wanked.

Facebook is full of idiots, simply put
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

For those of us who have nothing to do with facebook, but are now curious - what happened?
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

There are admin wankers here to, just less then FB.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
There are admin wankers here to, just less then FB.

Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

I haven't been to the VOG on fb in 3-4 months. My experience is that it's not a bad group. Kirk Meeks of Northwesty started it and there are more than 10K members. For the most part it's folks who may never have done an internet search asking Vanagon questions. There are folks with deep knowledge, some of whom were previously active here but seem to have departed. There are a few outstanding builds happening, my favorite is a patient light blue van that looks like it will be stock. He posts here occasionally. The fb group is more diverse in age, gender, wackiness and other attributes. Like the samba, it also has some pros who wrench on vans for a living.

Overall, it's generally civil and a nice augmentation to the samba, but it's on fb and nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sat May 15, 2021 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

The VOG group is a really great community of people. There are more than 14,000 members and most are very helpful and kind. There are good discussions and not a lot of "Try the search" comments which you find here. I think the point is that we all desire the social part of it. It has been well moderated and things that would go on here for years(Think Insyncro Trolling) would never be tolerated there.

From what I surmise there was a situation where one mod was exercising his power a little too much and was banning and muting people, another mod stood up to him and now they are both gone and only Kirk is left.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:

From what I surmise there was a situation where one mod was exercising his power a little too much and was banning and muting people, another mod stood up to him and now they are both gone and only Kirk is left.

I left shortly after one of those mod scuffles. Not because of it, the timing was just coincidental. It was weird because individually each mod seems to be a pretty good contributor but they sure didn't get along with each other at points.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

Quote:

Never heard of them. 14,000 members? I can drive from Florida to California and not see a single classic vw. I'm always wondering where they are hiding. Wink
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

I like the VOG group as eye candy, lots of inspiring photos of both modifications and adventures. The quality/density of samba posts is much more useful, IMO.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:

Thunderdome

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:

Never heard of them. 14,000 members? I can drive from Florida to California and not see a single classic vw. I'm always wondering where they are hiding. Wink

In the shop Laughing
Rear discs
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

13,900 of the are Vanabots
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

Me and the wife are members of many Groups on FB and I will share that, without a doubt, the best Groups are invite only. They don't come up in searches, for very good reasons. It doesn't take much thought to figure out what can go wrong in a group of 14,000 on social media. I find the VOG to be rather stale and void of true technical information. The three Groups I relay on have a few hundred members and not a single bit of bickering, drama or social BS, just straight talk and technical discussions with sharing, mostly PDFs and if you are looking for the hard to find parts, that's where we find them. It's a shame about all the drama. Across multiple other Groups mostly BenT's, quite a few are voicing that they have been silenced and need moderator approval to have their posts seen. Personally, it is 13th grade and too cliquey for us to post. Sure you can see beautiful pictures, but who doesn't have those of their own while out camping in a Vanagon. Our advice, put down the phone, get out and go camping. No wifi needed!
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

FB is DEAD! DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT!!!
I deleted mine way back in '14 or '15.
Round about the time I quit drinking.....
Think
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
...and nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Looks like they all missed it, Yogi.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

vandroid wrote:
Our advice, put down the phone, get out and go camping. No wifi needed!

This^^
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
vandroid wrote:

This^^

How will I post pictures of my wife standing on the roof of the van doing yoga? Wink
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
candyman wrote:
vandroid wrote:

This^^

How will I post pictures of my wife standing on the roof of the van doing yoga? Wink

Views and clicks make BIG money for those who know how to use these platforms as an income source. Sex sells, always has. All of the "vanlifers" with feeds dedicated to showing thonged rearends of young women laying in the van looking at the ocean know the market, well. They are cashing in, but we all know that income is needed to keep the van going haha. Prices for parts are rocketing, so I expect we will be seeing more asses.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: