Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cell phone questions...stupid ones!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

did somebody say 'palm pilot'?

Link

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Damn internet was down 4 days ,,,thats the monopoly in action, Anyway, I'm thinking it will make sense for me to get a cheap phone after all, since I only need it when away or driving around. And my wife has the better unit if I need more access.So I will be looking into the"free" phone plans like at verizen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
I'm thinking it will make sense for me to get a cheap phone after all, since I only need it when away or driving around. And my wife has the better unit if I need more access.So I will be looking into the"free" phone plans like at verizen.

I have a TracFone. Cost me $7 shipped, new, with battery, 2 chargers...this model
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Damn internet was down 4 days ,,,thats the monopoly in action, Anyway, I'm thinking it will make sense for me to get a cheap phone after all, since I only need it when away or driving around. And my wife has the better unit if I need more access.So I will be looking into the"free" phone plans like at verizen.

My cell phone has faster internet than my house. And it seems we get to use it every time the wind blows and the DSL goes out. Not sure why we keep paying for this level of service other than we like having more than one way to connect to the world especially during hurricane season.

I have the original iphone SE and no plans to upgrade any time soon. If my flip phone could connect and interact with the automation and monitoring stuff in my house I would still be using that.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

yup, my internet is down about 1/4 of the time it's up.....and thats when I want to use it...it might be down 3/4 of the entire day & I just find the time it is or isant.... were getten fucked on this shit for sure.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

So what did you decide on? Hopefully another iPhone Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

finster wrote:
did somebody say 'palm pilot'?

Link

Yes, this guy did. (forgive the typos, his hand was probably shaking)
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:

You haven’t been here very long but in time you’ll notice there are those that are able to enjoy this and other technology while staying up with kids and grandchildren and then there’s the ones that rationalize staying stuck at a point in time. Some may be unable to afford the outlandish prices and that is valid too.

Just roll with it everyone appears to be happy where they are. I gave my soon to be 94 yr old Dad my old IPhone 6+ and he likes it but is slow to get it, still can’t take a pic or text..... but it came in real handy when his land line went down for a week. He presses a green button to talk and red to hang up.😀
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Ended up with a motorola one G5 and one for the wife. I would have been happy with a soup can if the string was long enough, but at least now the wife is smiling with her new toy! If she hadn't gotten in on it I would have probably ended up with a throw phone. Anyway, since I have been on a free ride for both car/truck and phone for 30+ years, it's my turn to pay....and if it still works I will have this phone in 2041,lol!
Oh did I mention verizon ripped me off for $99 for 2 screensavers ,worth $6 each online?Nice.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
AutoMechanic wrote:

You haven’t been here very long but in time you’ll notice there are those that are able to enjoy this and other technology while staying up with kids and grandchildren and then there’s the ones that rationalize staying stuck at a point in time. Some may be unable to afford the outlandish prices and that is valid too.

Just roll with it everyone appears to be happy where they are. I gave my soon to be 94 yr old Dad my old IPhone 6+ and he likes it but is slow to get it, still can’t take a pic or text..... but it came in real handy when his land line went down for a week. He presses a green button to talk and red to hang up.😀

I agree. But with that price comes quality too. I’ve had Android and they just aren’t the quality that iPhone is. I watched the drop tests on YouTube and Apple crushed the Samsung by a long shot. My parents have Android and they like them but are planning to switch to iPhone next since iPhone is also laid out more simple than Android and way more secure too. There was a first time cell phone user at Verizon when I was getting my new phone and they recommended her an iPhone for simplicity. She was older and went with the same phone I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Ended up with a motorola one G5 and one for the wife. I would have been happy with a soup can if the string was long enough, but at least now the wife is smiling with her new toy! If she hadn't gotten in on it I would have probably ended up with a throw phone. Anyway, since I have been on a free ride for both car/truck and phone for 30+ years, it's my turn to pay....and if it still works I will have this phone in 2041,lol!
Oh did I mention verizon ripped me off for $99 for 2 screensavers ,worth $6 each online?Nice.

Motorola is good. There is an advantage to those screen protectors at that price because they have a lifetime warranty as long as you register it. So in 2041 if it breaks then you can get another screen protector free. Smile
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I still have a flip phone. I do not text and it drives my friends nuts.
I text and it drives everybody nuts Shocked go figure... I havent figured why they are called smart phones, this stupid fucking thing spells worse than I do.... Wink it even changes what I say....WTF???I think it may be possessed!!!
this remines me of a time when....oh there needs to be a smert phone story thread...or stupid phone stories....or stupid people with stupid phones storys....chasing ghost or something....
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Oh wow Shocked , the thought of a text conversation with you amazes me, mind blown! Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Can someone explain like I’m 5, the 3D Touch vs and iPhone 5 home button. I feel like I stepped out of a stock splitty and Im in a Carrera. Clearly I’ve got a tin cup out asking for someone to take the time give me the time, so I don’t have to read volumes junk and hours. Just give me the cheap and dirty. Thanks a lot, oh

yeah im upgrade? Don’t like the side on button at all.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

sorry can't help,, I'm the last guy on Earth that doesn't own a cell phone Wink Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

I have a flip phone and I don't need that! Just exactly what are people doing on their phones all day every day? As Lou Gehrig's Mom said "So many people with nothing to do!"
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
Can someone explain like I’m 5, the 3D Touch vs and iPhone 5 home button. I feel like I stepped out of a stock splitty and Im in a Carrera. Clearly I’ve got a tin cup out asking for someone to take the time give me the time, so I don’t have to read volumes junk and hours. Just give me the cheap and dirty. Thanks a lot, oh

yeah im upgrade? Don’t like the side on button at all.

First, your iPhone 5 does not have 3D Touch. It started with iPhone 6s.

Second, 3D Touch is not related to the physical home button; it just means that the behavior of an icon or picture of a button that is displayed on the screen changes with the duration that you press it. For example, if you simply tap the Mail icon on the screen, it will open the Mail app. However if you press and hold that same Mail icon for a second or longer, a new menu will pop up that will have items such as Unread Messages, New Message, Search, etc. In other words, with 3D Touch, the icon or button on the screen behaves differently if you tap it vs. if you press it long.

Thirdly, no one would need to explain this to a 5 year old. Who do you think taught me Smile
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

I think poster upgraded from an I5 to a newer model with touch.

To beat the cost bug, check out backmarket.com

Insert <stdio.h.disclaimer>

Executives summary. You can buy like used phones 2-3 generations old for 1/3 price of new
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Recent retirement gift from my supervisor...because I really do not own a cell phone. Complete with a row of playback buttons Smile

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
I have a flip phone and I don't need that! Just exactly what are people doing on their phones all day every day? As Lou Gehrig's Mom said "So many people with nothing to do!"

My TracFone went off service in February 2022 because 3G was dropped. So I bought a brand new 4G Flip Phone for TracFone from Amazon for $20 (inclusing chargers). I still don't know what a "G" is.

Before:

Now:

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Thu May 05, 2022 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: