Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a DC to DC charger in their van ? I have been looking at the Redarc BCDC and the Renogy unit.
My application is my work truck with 2 Trojan Deep cycle 12 V batteries that power a 1200 watt Pure Sine inverter I am using an switching relay now but realize that my batteries are not getting topped off as well as the should be.
There is a huge price difference between the two and am looking for any input.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.

Last edited by 16CVs on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

A Renogy was used in this build.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723621

Seems like a number of people have been using the Redarc.

I’m still waiting for the Victron to come to market and see what it offers before making my purchase. It wa suppose to be on market this month. Hopefully soon.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

We are quite pleased with Renogy 40amp unit. We have 140 amp hr lifep04 house batteries. A big improvement over our previous configuration. We also use a 1000 watt renogy inverter, but only very occasionally.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

No need for such a special item to charge deep cycle lead acids, especially one with such low current as 40A. You'd do better to upgrade the current paths, use a high-current combiner, and install a remote adjustable voltage regulator in the same temperature environment with your secondary batteries.

https://www.240turbo.com/AdjustableVoltage.html

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

You do not mention the type of engine nor the type and rating of your alternator.
There are significant advantages to a DC-DC charger.
1. Prioritization. You choose which battery bank charges first and/or strongest
2. Charging profiles. Standard alternators up to about 2012 did not have any charging profiles, none. Many if not most newer cars do have multiple maps to improve several aspects one being fuel economy and charging speed and quality ie lower warranty cost.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

I have a DJ spec 2.1 and a stock Alternator which is I think is 90 Amp.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

Stacy let's do a quick little test.
Drop the fuse panel
Connect a voltmeter to the 30 terminals on the left side.
Run the engine for a few minutes and then measure the voltage with the headlights etc on. What was the result?
You now know why a DC-DC charger is needed for optimum performance.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

Ctek smartpass and d250s dual. Supports AGM (and now lithium) with proper charging profiles for appropriate battery types. There are newer models and the price has gone up to $650.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Plug and play dual batteries and MPPT controller. Seems pretty simple to me.

Here is a good write up.
https://travelcandies-on-tour.com/jeep-wrangler/ctek-dual-battery-and-solar/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

The CTEK items listed above are of the highest quality.
But if you add the recommended M300 charger the price is about $1100! Plus they are large pieces. Ideal for a large motor home with 300-400 amphours of lifep04 batteries but >$5000 which I guess is insignificant in a $300k and up bus. Rolling Eyes
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

Agreed not inexpensive. But Kind of plug and play -so far. Granted haven’t done a lot of monitoring.

Big footprint? I jammed all the Ctek components, an aux panel With relays, all the shut offs, 90amp hour battery and An iota 110v shore charger under the driver seat. Certainly not easy and took a lot of head scratching.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

Seems CTEK has since released a newer version of the D250S, the new D250SE. In looking over the specs of the new unit, it seems as though not much has changed. The main difference is the addition of lithium charging abilities. In my searching, most of the installs of this unit I've seen are more overseas in Europe. In fact, most of the reviews on amazon are in languages other than English.

It seems like a very nicely optioned unit though. Pricing wise, it falls right between the lower priced Renogy DCC50S and the higher priced Redarc BCDC1225D. The CTEK is rated at 20amps, the Renogy at 50 amps (also, a 30 amp model available) and the Recarc is 25 amps (also a 40amp version available). All three have built in solar MPPT.

The only downside I can see to the CTEK compared to the others is the lower solar VOC input, at 23 volts. The Redarc accepts up to 32v, and the Renogy manual states it can handle 25v.

https://www.ctek.com/au/all-products/leisure-sport/d250se

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Power-40-315-D250SE-charger/dp/B07X4YTP1P

Thoughts on this CTEK unit? I'm currently building an AUX battery setup with a 100AH AGM battery, but would like to "future proof" myself by having lithium charging as an option.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
Seems CTEK has since released a newer version of the D250S, the new D250SE. In looking over the specs of the new unit, it seems as though not much has changed. The main difference is the addition of lithium charging abilities. In my searching, most of the installs of this unit I've seen are more overseas in Europe. In fact, most of the reviews on amazon are in languages other than English.

It seems like a very nicely optioned unit though. Pricing wise, it falls right between the lower priced Renogy DCC50S and the higher priced Redarc BCDC1225D. The CTEK is rated at 20amps, the Renogy at 50 amps (also, a 30 amp model available) and the Recarc is 25 amps (also a 40amp version available). All three have built in solar MPPT.

The only downside I can see to the CTEK compared to the others is the lower solar VOC input, at 23 volts. The Redarc accepts up to 32v, and the Renogy manual states it can handle 25v.

https://www.ctek.com/au/all-products/leisure-sport/d250se

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Power-40-315-D250SE-charger/dp/B07X4YTP1P

Thoughts on this CTEK unit? I'm currently building an AUX battery setup with a 100AH AGM battery, but would like to "future proof" myself by having lithium charging as an option.

Can't help you with that option, but the previously mentioned Victron has come to market and their unit is simple, straightforward, and of the quality you'd expect. Using it in my 280AH lithium setup.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Can't help you with that option, but the previously mentioned Victron has come to market and their unit is simple, straightforward, and of the quality you'd expect. Using it in my 280AH lithium setup.

Do you have a link to the Victron unit? I’d love to look more into it.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
owokie wrote:

Sure: https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Orion-TR-Isolated-C...&psc=1

They come in a variety of different amp ratings, smart, dumb, etc. I have a "dumb" 18a version. Think it was ~$115 without bluetooth.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

owokie wrote:

They come in a variety of different amp ratings, smart, dumb, etc. I have a "dumb" 18a version. Think it was ~$115 without bluetooth.

Perhaps I am missing it, but it appears those Victron units are not solar ready? I’m looking more towards all-in-one units, and not have to purchase a solar controller separately.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

I use a Sterling BB1230 for the DC-DC charging (with an upgraded 135A alternator in my EJ22) and the Epever 3215BN MPPT for solar. Both are 30A capable and both can deal with LiFePO4 batteries as well as all the other Lead batteries. Around $400 for both and no single point of failure like the all in ones.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

FWIW I am in general not a fan of all-in-one units. If they fail you lose all avenues of charging. Individual components give the ability to charge from solar if DC fails and vice versa. The all-in-ones do allow combining solar with DC charging when applicable however.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

I'm interested in installing one of these Victron units that you link to below.
I have a 120amp alternator, and with a cable run of about 5 feet from my primary battery over to my aux battery location, I'm trying to determine what wire and circuit breaker(fuse) size to use.

The Victron looks like it outputs a maximum of 18amps, so I can't think it would pull much more than that, but I'm not sure.

Can you advise or show how you connected your system?

Many thanks!

owokie wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
owokie wrote:

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
owokie wrote:

I can get one of these Victron DC-DC units, 12/12-18A for a good price from a local.
What I don’t know is if the 18Amp unit makes sense, vs a 30 amp unit.
I have a 1.8T, so my alternator puts out at least 90amps.

I’ll be charging a lithium battery (60 to 100 ah)
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DC - DC charger for dual batteries with solar Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

I can get one of these Victron DC-DC units, 12/12-18A for a good price from a local. What I don’t know is if the 18Amp unit makes sense, vs a 30 amp unit.
I have a 1.8T, so my alternator puts out at least 90amps.

I am running the 30A Victron Orion DC-DC and have been very happy with it so far. I have a 1.9L with stock 90A Bosch alternator.

I did the GW alternator harness upgrade which eliminates the bottle neck from alternator to starter. I will say that the Orion runs HOT when charging at 30A, so be careful where you mount it.

My build thread is here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753211&highlight=
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: