Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Well, I decided what the heck, let’s take it apart and see what went wrong.

This is with the internals removed from the housing...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the culprit. The plastic drive/bearing piece on the internal gear cracked. I found a piece of the plastic wedged between the internal and external gear, which locked up the pump.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Plastic. As useful as it is, it is also a common cause of failure.
Oh well, you can probably make it work again if you want a pump for a non-critical job! (or you could repurpose just the motor for some project)
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Motor is good. Unfortunately pulling off the aluminum housing makes this pump non-salvageable. It’s an aluminum tube crimped on so that it seals the o-rings on the various parts. It’s also very brittle, and tore while pulling the pieces apart, so no saving it now.

I got a replacement for it. Looks to be the same exact pump, but the housing is galvanized steel, not aluminum. We will see. These pumps have always treated me well. Hopefully this one was just a lemon, and not indicative of declining quality with Carter universal rotary pumps.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Unfortunately pulling off the aluminum housing makes this pump non-salvageable. It’s an aluminum tube crimped on so that it seals the o-rings on the various parts. It’s also very brittle, and tore while pulling the pieces apart, so no saving it now.

Beer cans might me re-purposed. Evil or Very Mad
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Ah, yeah, Alu is fragile like that. Motor might be fun to repurpose though! (assuming it still runs)
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Motor runs great. Gearotor pump gears still fit beautifully. Too bad that plastic part cracked and jammed up the works.

At any rate, I will replace the pump this evening and give it a go. Hopefully this one doesn’t suffer the same fate...these pumps have always tested me well.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Last night I drove down with a roll of gasket material to a buddy of mine who does auto glass. He is going to urethane flue the gasket to the frame and cut a sheet of flat 1/4” safety glass to fit.

It will be nice to have less bugs splattered on my face and up my nose. Laughing

Should be set up and done tomorrow.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

What sort of gasket material?

Window seal rubber?

EMPI (or is it Acme?) pop into the roll cage buggy windshield rubber?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Windshield finished.

Richard, I honestly don’t know where it came from. I picked it up at a swap meet. All I know is the seller said it was for round tubing. Apparently he was right, because it worked.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Well it looks good.

But what holds it in the tubing? The view from the inside doesn't look like there's much overlap inside.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The glazing is glued to the tubing using a urethane based glue specific to rubber auto glass gasket material.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Had a 100 mile round trip today, road and woods. Wonderful day to be out. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Now, what I really need to do, is rig up some sort of mount for my phone so I can video some stuff….

I have some things I want to change next year.

1) adjustable seats… or at least an adjustable drivers set. That way My friends can drive as well.

2) transmission shift linkage. It works very good… but it is rather unbalanced. Easy long stroke forwards backwards, and short hard side to side. I would like a little more stroke/leverage between the 1/2 and 3/4 gate… Vanagon transmissions are spring loaded into the 3/4 gate, so pulling over into 1/2 is a bit tiring after a long drive of quick shifts.

3) make a different pedal mount that ties into the frame, not the floor.

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

On the Vanagon trans: you probably know this but the gate spring is under that little side cover hat on the front-side of your transaxle. If you trim that spring down a touch or find a softer one the same length, that side-to-side gate force will decrease significantly.

I used to run that trans before I built my close-ratio nose shift 6-rib. I built the Vanagon trans as well, very solid unit.

I'm a sucker for good-feeling solid controls, so I'm 100% on board with getting that pedal set tied to the frame instead of the floor. I did that on mine and it was totally worth it.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I think what really needs to happen is just change the geometry of the linkage so I get more leverage/throw side to side, and less front to back, and it should be beautiful. Still got to mock up a mount for my phone for video.

Took her out for a little stroll today. Nothing too exciting. Just about got carried away by mosquitoes every time I stopped.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I found a weakness with the swivel flange stingers. The flange on the stinger that swivels/clamps in between the exhaust tube flanges shears and pulls out after a lot of hard use.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

It NEEDS support.

And shouldn't you have a muffler on there? This isn't the 1970s anymore.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Apparently it did need some support to keep it from pulling out of the flange.

I think the combination of the baffle inside the stinger and the supertrapp 5” disk spark arrestor on the end was a little too much weight to be hanging out there, unsupported, like you say.

Laughing

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Another weekend ride. Cool

A fellow with a big lifted Ram truck was out on the “trails” (aka sandy road) today. I have no idea how he managed to roll his truck coming around the bend at just 20 miles per hour. Must have over reacted when it started squirming in the loose, cranked the wheel, and dumped her right over.

At first I felt bad for the guy… but since he was ok, I suddenly decided it was hilarious. Air bags and all! Laughing Laughing Laughing

It actually took two tow trucks to get him out. The nice sandy road deteriorates at either end, and one tow truck got stuck and needed another truck.

After that mess was cleared up, I found some actual trails, not just sandy roads…

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I replaced my battery. The lawn tractor battery leaked a fair amount in the bumps, and had no way of refilling, so eventually it got weak. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the plates were damaged as well. So, I replaced it with an sealed AGM power sport battery… the sort you see on motorcycles, seadoo’s, and ATVs. I temporarily strapped it in and took her for a spin. Just have to take an inch out of the battery holder to keep it from sliding around. It is slightly smaller than the U1 size lawn tractor batteries. Same width, just an inch shorter in length.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Out for a spring ride.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 39

Jump to: