Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque Multiplier tool not fitting?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Most of my files are too small or just not aggressive enough to eat away at any of this. I do have a dremel!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Will the vendor not replace the defective tool? That's pretty much garbage.

I bought one from the same source a few years back. It works perfectly. My favorite VW tool by far.

I would press the vendor to send you a functional unit. Maybe if enough people stopped fixing brand new things and demanded replacements or refunds, the QC would improve.
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

They are more than happy to replace it, even if I modify it. However I really don't want to wait another 2-3 weeks for the exchange. My carport has a pool of gear oil from my leaky axles so I really need this done.
I also don't think they even stock them in the USA so I gotta wait for them to get it from Canada then ship to me, and I won't even know if the replacement will be great. The sales rep even said the flaw was common (but usually bent the opposite way so the teeth don't mesh enough).

I'm gonna grind down these bolts with a dremel and see how it goes...
Mini's 63 Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Does the gear have a hole in the shaft for an "r-pin"? I've attached a picture showing what I'm talking about. This would hold the gear in the proper position I believe.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Yeah. But the large "arm" that turns the castle nut is bent, which is the issue here.

And I tried grinding at the plate mounting holes with a dremel. Literally felt like trying to breach the hull of a Sherman tank with a dental tool. I'm gonna try again today. I got some movement by grinding down the shaft of the mounting bolts. Part of me doesn't want to admit defeat.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

my tool was case hardened as I had to open up the mounting holes for larger stud diameter. I was able to force drill one hole but had to grind the other.

In your case just put some big washers between the tool and the drum.
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

This steel was pretty hard but I got it done and was able to re-do my leaky axle seal and brakes that were soaked in gear oil.

Spent some time grinding at it with a dremel. The real trick was adding a bevel to the tabs on the back where they contact the drum.

Only made a couple "apprentice marks" on it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: