Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 SB How to test for spark with no help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
I'm done for the day. Tomorrow I'll crawl under the front end and see if the fuel line is kinked or bent anywhere. Maybe even take out the tank out and see what's what with the hose connection.

I have had a fuel pump loose prime in the past. I squirted fuel into the line between the carb and the pump. And filled the float bowl with fuel through the vent tube in the middle of the carb throat.
Once the engine fired. The pump continued to pump fuel to the carb.

BTW, Even though there is fuel in the lines. You might not see it in the filter. Sometimes they appear half full of fuel. Sometimes there's none visible.

Please post a pic of the entire engine from several angles.
Most folks here cannot read. Shocked
Post a pic and all of the sudden a miracle happens. The folks that cannot read learn to type! Laughing

I'll try that tomorrow. I have unhooked the fuel in line multiple times and there isn't even a hint of gas in it and the fuel filter is bone dry. I can take some pics tomorrow. On a side note, I am now remembering last year when I put the tank back in and how much trouble I had getting that fuel line back on while trying to put it back in. I'm starting to think I may have kinked it somehow. I'll take a look sometime tomorrow depending on what time the Cubs game starts Very Happy

The game starts tomorrow at 1:10pm our time.
You'll have plenty of time to get pics and post them., Laughing

Ah! I just noticed you're in Hillsboro! I will absolutely take some pics before the game and upload! Laughing
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
I have unhooked the fuel in line multiple times and there isn't even a hint of gas in it and the fuel filter is bone dry.
...I am now remembering last year when I put the tank back in and how much trouble I had getting that fuel line back on while trying to put it back in. I'm starting to think I may have kinked it somehow.

As a test, pull the inlet hose off of the pump. Fuel should flow freely from that hose. If not, then you have a blockage or kink between the pump and tank.

If your pump is an aftermarket pump, you may be able to prime it by attaching a hand vacuum pump to the outlet. Pump a little to apply some vacuum and you might hear some gurgling sounds as fuel flows into the pump. Be sure to release the vacuum before the fuel enters the vacuum pump (maybe have your clear filter between the fuel pump and vacuum pump). This trick does not work on original rebuildable factory fuel pumps because they have an internal pressure valve that will only be forced closed by applying vacuum to the output.

Another technique I have used to prime a fuel pump is to unbolt the fuel pump, leaving the hoses attached. Operate the lever underneath by hand, tilting the pump so you can reach under it. I'm not sure if the tilting helps, or just that you can pump the lever faster and farther by hand than by cranking the engine, but it worked for me.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

I went back out after dinner and tried again. I tried a small hand pump directly on the fuel line from the tank. After a little while I got a small dribble of gas. Should it have been a solid stream or is the dribble what is expected? Back in for the night but I'll hit it again tomorrow and upload some requested pics of the engine.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

The line from the tank (the input to the fuel pump) should provide a solid stream of fuel, not a dribble.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
The line from the tank (the input to the fuel pump) should provide a solid stream of fuel, not a dribble.

My hand pump wasn't a perfect fit on the hose so I wonder if that had something to do with it. Or maybe I have a partial blockage somewhere in the fuel line?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

The line from the tank should just flow freely, no pump required. I actually hate replacing the fuel line from the pan to the pump because it's hard NOT to spill gas all over as soon as you unhook the line. Maybe one day I'll actually get some hemostats with locking teeth to crimp the line first..

But the point I'm making, if you're only getting a dribble of gas from the feed line, you have a crimp, or a blockage.

A lot of low pressure fuel line can swell internally and block the flow.

Try removing the line where it comes out of the frame horn next.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
The line from the tank should just flow freely, no pump required. I actually hate replacing the fuel line from the pan to the pump because it's hard NOT to spill gas all over as soon as you unhook the line. Maybe one day I'll actually get some hemostats with locking teeth to crimp the line first..

But the point I'm making, if you're only getting a dribble of gas from the feed line, you have a crimp, or a blockage.

A lot of low pressure fuel line can swell internally and block the flow.

Try removing the line where it comes out of the frame horn next.

Ok, thanks. I will crawl under and inspect every inch of the line today.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

There should be a filter up front on the right side where the fuel feed line comes down from tank ( at least i have one on my 74sb , before disconnecting use a pair of vise grips on the upper feed line to crimp it so fuel doesn’t flow freely then you can remove that line and see if it flows from fuel tank, after you release the vise grips .

Is car on jack stands in the rear ?
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
There should be a filter up front on the right side where the fuel feed line comes down from tank ( at least i have one on my 74sb , before disconnecting use a pair of vise grips on the upper feed line to crimp it so fuel doesn’t flow freely then you can remove that line and see if it flows from fuel tank, after you release the vise grips .

Is car on jack stands in the rear ?

Not up on jack stands right now. I actually did this last night although my filter is in the engine bay. I had gas dripping the moment I started loosening the clamp (Hose that is attached to the tank) so I didn't even take the hose off all the way but I will do again with vice grips so I can see what kind of flow there is. I do intend on moving that fuel filter to the front probably soon after I get her running. I'm headed out to start working on it here in a few minutes and I'll be posting updates of any progress.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

I would Leave the front filter where its at , now the one in the engine comp can be moved to under the wheel well left rear for safety reasons
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
I would Leave the front filter where its at , now the one in the engine comp can be moved to under the wheel well left rear for safety reasons

Maybe I misunderstood you...there is no front filter on mine. I have the hose from the tank (about 2 ft long) connects via coupler to another hose that's about 12 inches then that hose connects to the metal line.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Maybe I misunderstood you...there is no front filter on mine. I have the hose from the tank (about 2 ft long) connects via coupler to another hose that's about 12 inches then that hose connects to the metal line.[/quote]

need a pic of this please
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood you...there is no front filter on mine. I have the hose from the tank (about 2 ft long) connects via coupler to another hose that's about 12 inches then that hose connects to the metal line.

need a pic of this please[/quote]

Headed out there right now. I'll get some pics and upload.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Got some pics:
Here are 3 of the fuel hose coming down from the tank:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are a few of the engine bay:

I'm about to crawl under and look at the entire length of the fuel line.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

I don't see any obvious crimps or kinks in the rubber lines.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Pics help allot.
I suggest changing the fuel line from the tank to the tunnel up front. The lower portion looks old.
Ideally you want one continuous hose from the tank to the tunnel.

When you disconnect the fuel line from the tank. It should flow a continuous stream of fuel. Be ready for that with your new fuel line you got from AutoZone or O'rielies.
If fuel is not coming from the tank outlet. Time to clean the tank.

As a test for the fuel pump. Get a piece of fuel line and connect it to the fuel pump inlet. Place the other end in a can of gas. Your lawn mower gas can will work.
Try to start the car! If it starts and continues to run You at least know that your FP is in good nick.

Then go after the fuel line from the front of the tunnel to the rear outlet. Sometimes carb cleaner gets things flowing. Compressed air helps too.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Pics help allot.
I suggest changing the fuel line from the tank to the tunnel up front. The lower portion looks old.

When you disconnect the fuel line from the tank. It should flow a continuous stream of fuel. Be ready for that with your new fuel line you got from AutoZone or O'rielies.

As a test for the fuel pump. Get a piece of fuel line and connect it to the fuel pump inlet. Place the other end in a can of gas. Your lawn mower gas can will work.
Try to start the car! If it starts and continues to run You at least know that your FP is in good nick.

Then go after the fuel line from the front of the tunnel to the rear outlet. Sometimes carb cleaner gets things flowing. Compressed air helps too.

"As a test for the fuel pump. Get a piece of fuel line and connect it to the fuel pump inlet. Place the other end in a can of gas. Your lawn mower gas can will work.
"
I tried exactly this yesterday. It did not suck up any gas at all. This is why I keep wanting to think it's the fuel pump.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Pics help allot.

"As a test for the fuel pump. Get a piece of fuel line and connect it to the fuel pump inlet. Place the other end in a can of gas. Your lawn mower gas can will work.
"
I tried exactly this yesterday. It did not suck up any gas at all. This is why I keep wanting to think it's the fuel pump.

Well Holy shit balls. I just tried this again and it worked. Now I'm going to hook back up the fuel line and see what happens
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

I hooked the fuel line back up and now it won't start. Looking like I have a clogged fuel line.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Ok great news. It runs.
Now find the clog in the supply to the engine compartment.

Like I said. Change the fuel line from the tank to the tunnel. While the line is disconnected. Check for fuel flow from the tank. If that's good. Your tunnel line is clogged and needs to be cleaned out.

If you're gonna try what you stated above. Leave the filter i place for now.
You don't wanna suck shit into your carb.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: