Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

the quality or presission of a tool dont mean shit when you havent a clue what to do with it or how to use it or what you are doing.as many exspurts with the most expensive and fancy tool collections to show off have proven. new rivets, new paint, make it look like somethen it aint. and those guys are ussualy the ones who never would be caught dead at the harbinger of fright by the way they speak...but how would that knoe Shocked
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

You can still get your 20% deal if you join their club. I bought the cart with hydraulic lift and the mid grade aluminum floor Jack. I also snapped up a box of chip brushes for about 6 dollars. Chi-coms got my money, life is good😀
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

I tried to join was declined , apparently I’m a bra-less wanker
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

I'm going to give my opinion on HF tools even if no one truly cares. I started working at a local body shop just before I started my senior year in high school. Never missed a day unless I really needed to, boss always said if I couldn't go to school, I couldn't come to work. Anyway, we have a lot of HF stuff around the shop. Jacks, couple of the cheap air tools, stuff like that. We have legit stuff to. IR die grinders and Hutchins sanders. When i graduated last year, my boss bought me a Husky mechanics kit from Home Depot. Has all of the sockets and stuff, pretty great. Of course, I needed to expand a bit. We have a Matco guy that comes every week for the one guy at the shop that actually buys a ton of tools (almost an unnecessary amount IMO). Anyway, I've bought two things off that truck, a hex ratchet and a pry tool, almost $70. Is it crazy, yes, but I do use that hex ratchet at least once a week. Harbor freight is where I go for most of my stuff though. extensions for $9, those stupid little picks for $1. I strictly use a purple gun for all of my primer work. They're cheap tools, but they get the job done. I've used the same purple gun for almost a 8 months or so now. I've seriously contemplated buying a U.S. General tool box for my garage. A bussy bought one and it's ace. Drawers slide great, solid build, doesn't feel cheap to me. I think HF is stepping up their game. I saw a video comparing their torque wrench to Snap-on and HF was in better tolerance. I highly doubt taking away coupons is gonna kill business, people will always need cheap tools.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Lost in the shuffle, never mentioned but one more time.

Adults working as a mechanic for a living could write off tools, uniforms, basically anything and everything connected to work. Those buying one piece at a time paying full retail are screwing themselves. Deleted on advice of counsel.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Those buying one piece at a time paying full retail are screwing themselves.

I completely agree. You can get the better quality tools for better deals at garage sales and swap meets or on craigslist/ebay even.

I see proto rachets and all these good snap on and mac tools... tons of made in USA sockets, wrenches, specialty stuff, anything you could ever need.... all for pennies on the dollar compared to what the tool truck guy charges. All they usually need is a good cleaning, if that.

I VERY rarely buy a new tool... simply because it's a waste of money and I'd rather have one that's 50 years old. Old tools with some age on em' just look better too Twisted Evil

Maybe most people are not very comfortable at the swap meet or want instant gratification. Maybe they feel they dont know what to look for or where? I'm really not sure.... I guess it's just easier to pay 5 times the price for convenience and a warranty that is usually useless.

I agree the cheapie spray guns are one of the decent items HF has. They are not great quality, but most work well and will last long enough if you keep them clean.

I used to buy flap discs and cutoff wheels there but since the 20%off ended it's now cheaper to just buy them online from a paint supply place I'd rather support. I have to buy a few more at a time but who cares. LOL!

For some reason I would never buy a torque wrench from them. They might work fine but I'd rather have a time tested USA one. A TW is the kind of tool you have for years or a lifetime. I got my giant 0-600ft/lb proto torque wrench on ebay for less than $60 because it had a broken selector lever. I was pretty sure I could fix it easily and cheaply, so I took a chance and made sure to win the auction (sniped it.) I fixed the lever, disassemled, cleaned, and calibrated it, all of which took about 1 hour. So basically I have a $600 torque wrench that cost me less than $80 and I also learned something.

HF has its place but its biggest plus side in my eyes is the price factor, and now many items are more expensive.... when you are going through disposables or cheap tools, that lost savings can add up and make you think about whether or not it's a wise investment anymore.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
For some reason I would never buy a torque wrench from them. They might work fine but I'd rather have a time tested USA one. A TW is the kind of tool you have for years or a lifetime.

I have FOUR HF torque wrenches, lifetime guaranteed.

I don't have a sawzall tool, see that "tool only" for my Milwaukee 18-volt "Heat" system is over $100.

So likely will try a HF sawzall. The $25 ones have really good reviews, as do their other reciprocating saws.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-sa...61884.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

They don’t call it Hobo Freight for no reason…
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:
They don’t call it Hobo Freight for no reason…

I wasn't aware that train jumpers needed tools...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

That's insensitive to hobos
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

modok wrote:
That's insensitive to hobos

Shit! I didn’t realize hobos had feelings. Are they protected by the woke crowd? Very Happy
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
words

i didn't quote your whole story due to length...

you're smart for not drinking the tool truck kool aid.

i will say however snap on and matco make some of the nicest stuff you'll ever use. you'll pay a premium for sure.

what i have found is cheaper sockets aren't "center drilled" enough for say something like a bleeder screw.... that deep socket form china isn't made right...BTDT.

i have some snap on stuff i couldn't live without. one thing about HF is you can't buy individuals of say a wrench or a socket sometimes.... that is annoying.

if i were in the market for a tool box, they have some real nice stuff.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
words

i didn't quote your whole story due to length...

you're smart for not drinking the tool truck kool aid.

i will say however snap on and matco make some of the nicest stuff you'll ever use. you'll pay a premium for sure.

what i have found is cheaper sockets aren't "center drilled" enough for say something like a bleeder screw.... that deep socket form china isn't made right...BTDT.

i have some snap on stuff i couldn't live without. one thing about HF is you can't buy individuals of say a wrench or a socket sometimes.... that is annoying.

if i were in the market for a tool box, they have some real nice stuff.

I agree on this.
HF tools work and are guaranteed for life. For the most part.

Sometimes you need to spend the best money can buy.
I have a desire for a Snapon 1/4 drive 10mm swivel socket 11" extension combo to reach the dual carb intake manifold nuts.
I saw this setup at Averys Aircooled a year ago or so back.
Jason (the owner) stated that he cannot live without this tool.
HF doesn't have anything like the Snapon setup. And I really want one. I bet that swivel socket/extension setup costs north of $200. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

To CT.
I recommend the US General tool chest.
My only complaint on this chest is. The bottom drawer will not stay closed. I think this is due to an uneven garage floor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

It’s old age. Your chest falls into your drawers.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

I just went to the Harbor Freight in Norfolk VA. The clerk told me that it now costs $29.00 for a membership (Per year) to get any of the cheap crap items they used to coupon give. I never got $29 worth of their free crap in a year since I only visited a couple times a year. You were limited to one cheap crap free part per visit. I understand this is the policy across the country. You can still buy their crap and not pay the $29..........just have to look at their ads on the internet before you go.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
I just went to the Harbor Freight in Norfolk VA. The clerk told me that it now costs $29.00 for a membership (Per year) to get any of the cheap crap items they used to coupon give. I never got $29 worth of their free crap in a year since I only visited a couple times a year. You were limited to one cheap crap free part per visit. I understand this is the policy across the country. You can still buy their crap and not pay the $29..........just have to look at their ads on the internet before you go.

Pretty sure you can cancel your membership at any time. Unless that has changed, too.

So, theoretically, you could buy a membership to save on a larger purchase, then cancel after the purchase. Takes some planning, but it could work.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

i bought a nice rolling tool chest with a wood top a few weeks ago. apparently they can't keep them in stock, you have to pre-order. Someone did so and changed their mind, I was able to walk in and snag it

from what I can tell, if they are having a big sale like Memorial day weekend, the club members get the sale price starting the weekend before memorial day. I went memorial day to try to buy a cheap small wet dry vac they had on sale, no dice, they were out. Clerk said they sold out before the official sale started. The sale price was only $5 off, so that $29 isn't worth it to me

markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

A wise man once said of A store, ''the only thing lower than their prices, is the quality of the merchandise they sell."
I don't know, if it was harbor freight or not Wink

619 201 0310
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Well… that didn’t last.
https://go.harborfreight.com/cpi/digital/goog/2022/06/inflation-busters_179910/

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: