Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rough/Bad idle (1973 VW412 1,7L Fuel Injection Engine)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rough/Bad idle (1973 VW412 1,7L Fuel Injection Engine) Reply with quote

Yeah, from any angle, that is one of the smartest looking Type 4s cars ever!
412STi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough/Bad idle (1973 VW412 1,7L Fuel Injection Engine) Reply with quote

@ Ray

These accessories show the pictures you want.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/miscellaneous/door-handle-shields-071-319-054-10415a.html

Are also on my car.
I will most likely leave it out after painting.
Or maybe not.

The oil can not be, was none in it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough/Bad idle (1973 VW412 1,7L Fuel Injection Engine) Reply with quote

412STi wrote:
@ Ray

These accessories show the pictures you want.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/miscellaneous/door-handle-shields-071-319-054-10415a.html

Are also on my car.
I will most likely leave it out after painting.
Or maybe not.

Ah! I have a set of those from either Wolfsburg West or West Coast Metric.

They have been in the package for maybe 25 years and never opened. I would like to install them...because I like what they are capable of doing...preventing finger scratches to the paint in the recess under the handle.

But I have thought long about them because the fit of the tangs under the door handle seal does not seem like it would be ideal. This is why I am asking about them. I have never personally seen a set up close installed on a car.

Do they seal and fit well?

The other issue I always wondered about is how to prevent water and gunk from getting behind them against the paint. I have thought that I could put some pourable silicone on the back to make a thin form fitting sheet...so they will be "self gasketing".

If They can be made to fit without damaging paint or seals.....I will probably have mine anodized or powder coated black. If or when my car ever gets to the paint stage....I will probably have the bumpers powder coated black, fender arch trim powder coated black, roofline trim powder coated black and the plates and door handles done in black (or I could do them all in black enamel).
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough/Bad idle (1973 VW412 1,7L Fuel Injection Engine) Reply with quote

This guy's T4 has those, if you have any questions of fitment.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=503847
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They look snazzy, but the blank paint looks great, too, and only needs occasional polishing to restore its gloss after minor fingernail or glove scratches.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough/Bad idle (1973 VW412 1,7L Fuel Injection Engine) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
This guy's T4 has those, if you have any questions of fitment.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=503847
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They look snazzy, but the blank paint looks great, too, and only needs occasional polishing to restore its gloss after minor fingernail or glove scratches.

On an early...straight enamel car...yes. On pretty much anything later than mid 72....they all had clear coat and metallic in the US. Its the only reason I like these parts. If you scratch the clear coat paint....hard to fix. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: