Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

Like my fuel filter question before - where is it??
My light just came on; I'm presuming it's a simple matter of buying anew one and screwing it in. Or am I wrong about this?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

Most O2 sensor lights come on by time. There is a small back box that may be attached to the speedo cable. I usually throw away mine, but I believe the box was located under the hood. Just follow the cable.

It comes on by mileage, not because there is something wrong. O2 sensors were replaced at 30k back in that era because most of them were located close to the exhaust port to heat up sooner. Eventually, the heat kills them.

The next generation O2 sensors they put further in the exhaust in a better environment and installed a heater in them. They seem to last much longer and did not need to be changed on a maintenance interval.
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Most O2 sensor lights come on by time. There is a small back box that may be attached to the speedo cable. I usually throw away mine, but I believe the box was located under the hood. Just follow the cable.

It comes on by mileage, not because there is something wrong. O2 sensors were replaced at 30k back in that era because most of them were located close to the exhaust port to heat up sooner. Eventually, the heat kills them.

The next generation O2 sensors they put further in the exhaust in a better environment and installed a heater in them. They seem to last much longer and did not need to be changed on a maintenance interval.

Ah. Is there a reset button to turn off the light?
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:

I found the button and indeed when pressed the light goes out. However it comes back on when the button is released. Is there any way to keep the button pressed in? Is it supposed to "click" when pressed?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

it requires an unfolded paper clip or something like WD-40 plastic straw to press it in enough to reset. Yes, it does 'click'. I believe it measures in 60k mile increments.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

You could always unplug the connector on the box. That should keep the light off.
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen sensor on a 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
it requires an unfolded paper clip or something like WD-40 plastic straw to press it in enough to reset. Yes, it does 'click'. I believe it measures in 60k mile increments.

Okay! I had thought it was supposed to "click" and stay in when you push it, but one click and the light is off.

Many thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: