Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex Heater in EVC
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Propex Heater in EVC Reply with quote

I have a 1997 EVC (Winnebago) Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has replaced the original Suburban heater with a Propex? I'm hoping to make this upgrade if feasible. The old Suburban propane heater is struggling in the cold at altitude. Of course it works just fine when I'm at home (and we live at 7200 ft. above sea level). The current heater just wont work at higher altitudes or when the outside temperature gets in to the single digits.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater in EVC Reply with quote

FeMatt wrote:
I have a 1997 EVC (Winnebago) Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has replaced the original Suburban heater with a Propex? I'm hoping to make this upgrade if feasible. The old Suburban propane heater is struggling in the cold at altitude. Of course it works just fine when I'm at home (and we live at 7200 ft. above sea level). The current heater just wont work at higher altitudes or when the outside temperature gets in to the single digits.

An LP furnace can have problems lighting and consistent flame at 10k ft. It's all about air/fuel mixture. High altitude LP house furnaces and water heaters have problems with consistent lighting and consistent flame also.

I have an LP-powered Yamaha generator that has a Garretson regulator. It has a "load block" that requires adjustment depending on altitude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd9yRVkAGco

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-352373--.html

People have found Propex can be inconsistent at high altitude, that's just how it is unless you can adjust the air/fuel mixture. Gasoline furnaces/generators are the same, you may need different jets for high altitude operation.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
julieelinl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater in EVC Reply with quote

Has anyone had one of these heaters installed? I have a 1999 Eurovan and would like to upgrade the furnace but I am not sure where to have it installed.....
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater in EVC Reply with quote

julieelinl wrote:
Has anyone had one of these heaters installed? I have a 1999 Eurovan and would like to upgrade the furnace but I am not sure where to have it installed.....

In a camper or a van.

There have been a lot of post (search them out) about adding a "Chinese Diesel heater". Seem like the way to go.
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater in EVC Reply with quote

i vaguelly looked into it (I am in the UK and suburban isn't really easy to get parts for here)
The challenge as I see it, is that the exhaust venting and pipework is in a very different place on the propex, so I can't see how to do it easily.
Be inerested if you manage.

What I did find recently, which looked more viable to me (and quieter, which is my issue with the suburban) is an under floor propex which might be easier to adapt.

https://propexheatsource.co.uk/heaters/whale-heatair-4g
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater in EVC Reply with quote

My van is a 1992 Eurovan CV. This is the Westfalia full camper that was sold in Canada, but not in the USA. It is similar in most respects to the California campers of that era sold in markets other than the US, but is quite different from the Winnebago conversions - the EVC models - sold exclusively in the US.

Nonetheless, EVC owners considering installing the Propex HS2211 underneath their vans might find my experience installing it in my van helpful. Below is a link to a 9 page PDF hosted in my Dropbox which includes text and some pictures of my installation. If the link does not work or is lost, please message me and I can send you the file by email, if I cannot fix the link. (TheSamba.com does not have a place where one can upload such files.)

I am very happy with my Propex. It worked well in Yellowstone at Norris campground in freezing (snowing) weather at 7500 feet - the highest we have used it.

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sza1hqky9mnxvmk/AABhm1LPwqHw2KXiv5ZIIxwMa?dl=0
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater in EVC Reply with quote

Good write up, and see you went the same route I was talking about, albeit with a slightly different propex model (i.e. under van). Thanks for sharing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: