Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Rockers / Out of the Box
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

I picked up a set of Scat 1.4 rockers. As I have never messed with these I have a few questions right out of the box.

I'm going to disassemble the arms, shafts, shims just to get friendly with the assembly. While everything is apart I plan to clean everything, check for burrs and blow out any holes. I read so much about aftermarket parts having poor Q/C and the need to "correct some issues" before they are ready to install.

Are there any specific things to check before reassembly? I have a set of old heads I'm going to "practice" setting the side play for when I put them on the actual engine.

I will be putting these on ACN L-3 heads, stock cam. I will check for spring bind but I don't expect it to become a problem. I bought the SCAT push rods: These are the proper length to install SCAT's great 1.4 Ratio Rocker Arm onto your engine, IF you had original length PRs to begin with! (and I do)

This may or may not be the best idea but it sounded good.

Are the kit lash caps trustworthy?

Use the star washers form the kit or new lock washers?

All the shims have surface rust. I'll go after that with some 300 git paper and some oil. I can see the obvious, it's my first time here, what am I missing so far?

Thanks,

dgsaz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bo and I working on our respective puzzles.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

With those rockers. Use the supplied lash caps.
Don't be surprised if you have to but some new push rods. The geo setup will tell ya what you need.

Sometimes the slipper foot end of the rocker will be over the top of the center of the valve tip. Once you try the rockers on. This might become clear to you.

When I installed mine. I had to shave 0.060" off the rocker blocks to get the geo corrected.

Be prepared for an adventure getting these setup correctly.
This should help ya! Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706356&highlight=slipper

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

Laughing Enter Mark: "I flame harden em, spiral groove the bores, cryo treat em, true up the tips so they're perpen-tick-tackular to the valves, polish the tips, deburr, shot peen, crack test, micro-polish the shafts, groove those, file the shims, then DFL coat it all. Then on the caps I.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

A word of caution.
When removing the rocker blocks from the shafts. pay attention as to where your fingers are gripping the blocks.
The first time I pulled them off. My fingers were touching the shaft. As the block slid, violently off the shaft.
I lost a bit of skin as the block slid off. This was caused by the sharp rocker stud penetration through the shaft

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Laughing Enter Mark: "I flame harden em, spiral groove the bores, cryo treat em, true up the tips so they're perpen-tick-tackular to the valves, polish the tips, deburr, shot peen, crack test, micro-polish the shafts, groove those, file the shims, then DFL coat it all. Then on the caps I.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's funny shit there Tabari! Laughing

dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

Another question:

Should I send the rocker blocks to our local machine shop and have .060 milled from the bottoms.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

You can. But mock um up first.
Then determine if you need to send them out for machining.

I tried a couple of shops in my burg. None wanted to touch them.

I ground the blocks down on a belt sander. But measured carefully while doing so.

Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
Another question:

Should I send the rocker blocks to our local machine shop and have .060 milled from the bottoms.

Highly unlikely that you need to. The more lift you run the more shaving plays a role. Stock cam does not have a lot of lift. You should still mock it up.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

They are nice rockers, but a couple items.

The shims provided will not get you to the proper side play. Scat supplies a bunch of .030” shims (which have sharp edges that need to be cleaned up).

Sides of the rocker blocks will probably need to be cleaned up (wet sand on a flat surface with 220 to 400 or 600).

The tips should already be polished
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
You can. But mock um up first.
Then determine if you need to send them out for machining.

I tried a couple of shops in my burg. None wanted to touch them.

I ground the blocks down on a belt sander. But measured carefully while doing so.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockers / Out of the Box Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
They are nice rockers, but a couple items.

The shims provided will not get you to the proper side play. Scat supplies a bunch of .030” shims (which have sharp edges that need to be cleaned up).

Yes, the extra shims needed to be deburred and then sanded as you spec below. I ordered a pack of various thickness shims that will get the same treatment. I set the rocker shaft on an old S/P head and found everthing to be within shimming specs side to side.

The head has valves, but no pushrods, that said, the rocker blocks look flat and square, with the foot on the valve it looks similar to other set ups at Zero lift. There will be a lot more to this in the future.

Sides of the rocker blocks will probably need to be cleaned up (wet sand on a flat surface with 220 to 400 or 600). The rocker blocks are very clean, no edges, they appear to be square, nothing to do really.

The tips should already be polished
Yes they are. I washed out the inside with break cleaner and blew them out with compressed air.

Overall I'm impressed with the whole assembly. Reminds me of the Campagnolo Nuevo Record bicycle component gruppo. Just beautiful, simple machinery.

Any other suggestions or items to address before mock up? Thanks

dgsaz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: