Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 SB How to test for spark with no help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Ok great news. It runs.
Now find the clog in the supply to the engine compartment.

Like I said. Change the fuel line from the tank to the tunnel. While the line is disconnected. Check for fuel flow from the tank. If that's good. Your tunnel line is clogged and needs to be cleaned out.

If you're gonna try what you stated above. Leave the filter i place for now.
You don't wanna suck shit into your carb.

Gonna head down to O'reilys and pick up some new hose. 1/4" right? What's the best way to clean the metal line out? I have a air compressor if needed.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

5.5mm fuel line works best. 1/4" may be a bit large and not seal well. Without help.

Depending on the clog. Sometimes you can loosen it up with carb cleaner and compressed air.
If it's really fighting ya. Folks use an old throttle cable chucked up in a drill motor to break up a clog.

Other times the clog is just too hard to break up. Then you have to go through the painful effort to replace the fuel line inside the tunnel.
Notice I keep mentioning the tunnel in my posts? The fuel line runs through the tunnel from just behind the frame head to the rear trans support forks.
I have never had to change one. But from what I read here. It can be done. But it's a PITA!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

1/4 inch is really too large.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Just recently cleaned my metal fuel line...
I sprayed in a bunch of carb cleaner, let it sit then blew it out with an air compressor.
I worked both ways multiple times, front-to-back, then back-to-front. I also put a hose on the exit side of the fuel line going into a bottle to catch the carb cleaner/crud. Really I just wanted to see the crud to justify the effort.

Also, from my experience I thought my line was clogged, because I couldn’t spray the carb cleaner straight through. The line would fill then brake clean would come back out at me.
In reality, it just took the air compressor to totally move the fluid through, I also started with the air pressure low and worked up for fear of blowing the hard line.

Worked well enough, got lots of crud out not really BIG gobs but unwanted stuff out all the same.

Good luck

Ben
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

I found the problem and it was another mistake by yours truly. Man, I remember that hose being a MFer when I put that tank back in. Serious crimp about 2 inches from the tank. Also noticed this hose is 3/8. Previous owner or mechanic must have done that I assume, I know I didn't replace it. I'll get this back together and post an update. I'm 99% sure this is the problem and I'll get to move on to the next problem.

I do realize what I did wrong when I put the tank back in last year and I won't make that mistake now. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

You do realize that the Cubs game started! Laughing

Good to hear that you found the issue. Now go get some correct inside diameter hose and get er done! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Good to hear that you found the issue. Now go get some correct inside diameter hose and get er done! Very Happy

Cubbies are gonna have to wait Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Cubbies are gonna have to wait Laughing

Lol! There's always the DVR.

68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
68IHscout wrote:
I would Leave the front filter where its at , now the one in the engine comp can be moved to under the wheel well left rear for safety reasons

Maybe I misunderstood you...there is no front filter on mine. I have the hose from the tank (about 2 ft long) connects via coupler to another hose that's about 12 inches then that hose connects to the metal line.
maybe cause mine came with one up front from po , i thought they all had one up front .

Glad you found the fuel problem ,good lessons to be had from our mistakes.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Alright alright alright (my best Matthew McConaughey) That was it! I have fuel flow now! Now on to the next problem, it won't idle and dies if I take my foot off the gas pedal. I will tinker with the carb, I have a vague understanding of idle speed. I will start another thread if I run into a problem, although I'm sure I will. Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Hey great progress!

Now just go through some checks.

Valve lash
Ignition timing
Choke set
Choke powered
Cut off valve working/powered
Basic carb settings

And sometimes they just need a few heat cycles to help beat the grumpy out of them!
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Hey great progress!

Now just go through some checks.

Valve lash
Ignition timing
Choke set
Choke powered
Cut off valve working/powered
Basic carb settings

And sometimes they just need a few heat cycles to help beat the grumpy out of them!

Thanks! I did the valve adjustment when the engine was out, did a static timing last week or earlier this week, I forget when exactly. This carb is actually from my 74 standard (new one in that car). This SB came with a pict 30/31 which I know is the incorrect carb for a dual port 74 so I went ahead and swapped it. I know the correct thing to do is send the carb to Tim at Volkzbitz but unfortunately that's not in the budget right now. I'm gonna have to power through this one myself.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

What fixed the issue?

Come on, spill it. We all wanna know!

Don't make me drive up there and hit ya with the hot light in a dark room! Laughing

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
This SB came with a pict 30/31 which I know is the incorrect carb for a dual port 74 so I went ahead and swapped it.

I'm happy with the Solex 30/31 on an adapter on my dual port 1600cc engine in my 1970. I run a vintage German 009 distributor with it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
This SB came with a pict 30/31 which I know is the incorrect carb for a dual port 74 so I went ahead and swapped it.

I'm happy with the Solex 30/31 on an adapter on my dual port 1600cc engine in my 1970. I run a vintage German 009 distributor with it.

Really, should I put the 30/31 back on? It's nasty looking.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
What fixed the issue?

Come on, spill it. We all wanna know!

Don't make me drive up there and hit ya with the hot light in a dark room! Laughing

I mentioned it up thread, I did find a terribly kinked hose.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Can you remind me what distributor you're working with here? I looked through the three, but I didn't see it.

A few overall pictures of the engine, carb, distributor might help us spot possible issues.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Cusser wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Really, should I put the 30/31 back on? It's nasty looking.

I just dug out the 30/31 from the parts box. Looks like something got bent on the linkage.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Can you remind me what distributor you're working with here? I looked through the three, but I didn't see it.

A few overall pictures of the engine, carb, distributor might help us spot possible issues.

009 is what this bug came with. Not vacuum advanced.

rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB How to test for spark with no help Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

I uploaded these earlier this morning but here they are again.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: