Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
muggermackaye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
So with a lot of help from the samba last summer I got my 76 convertible FI superbeetle on the road. Though it really ran decent, it was super short on power and it gushes oil from the pushrod tube seals. I also suspect I have more than a couple bad seats as my valves need constant adjustment to stay in spec.
I've been through lots of scenarios, and I think I need to take it to a shop to have ay work done. At the end of the day, though I could do it, I don't have the time to work on it and I really want to be able to use it with my family this summer. So my question is this, for those of you in CO, particularly the Denver area
; Where should I take it? The previous two owners included a shoebox of receipts from NuVintage in Arvada. Going through the paper work, I get a feeling they were just putting an expensive Band-Aid on the car every time it came in? I'm not ruling them out by any means. I talked to another guy who seemed really put off by the FI and told me to get rid of it. But I don't want to deal with that swap for many reasons, including money. I'm willing to take it from Co Springs to Fort Collins and even out east if it makes sense. I can go west of Golden because it wont make it up the mountains. Id spend 10-15% more for a good shop who is going to do it right, but I'm also not made of money and don't want to have too much more than the car is worth sunk in to it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

From late 1994 to early 2001 I worked for Vrba's Parts in Fort Collins... a combination of repair shop, salvage yard (used) parts and new parts. As far as I know, the shop is still going. Give Brian a call at 970-484-2011

-Andy Thompson

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

Try Painters Grinding

http://www.paintersgrinding.com/

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boyrcr420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

Second Painters Grinding. Eddie is amazing, and knows his VWs!
muggermackaye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. painters was great. worked with ross mostly. He's a great person and excellent mechanic. Best experience I have had since mile high jeep rebuilders in the late 90's
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

Now after your repair shop time, does the car run like it has 4 real cylinders? Was it relatively simple stuff that was wrong?
muggermackaye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Now after your repair shop time, does the car run like it has 4 real cylinders? Was it relatively simple stuff that was wrong?

3 exhaust valves were shot and the heads actually needed to be replaced.
It runs nice and smooth, but, sadly, it is still impractically slow. The car wont climb even moderate inclines in the front range at the speed limit. Its disappointing but I guess I needed to find out what I was dealing with. I'll drive it as is for a few years and save my pennies until I can build a more powerful motor for it. But still, great experience, both with painters and becasue I learned something.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

muggermackaye wrote:
Rome wrote:

3 exhaust valves were shot and the heads actually needed to be replaced.
It runs nice and smooth, but, sadly, it is still impractically slow. The car wont climb even moderate inclines in the front range at the speed limit. Its disappointing but I guess I needed to find out what I was dealing with. I'll drive it as is for a few years and save my pennies until I can build a more powerful motor for it. But still, great experience, both with painters and becasue I learned something.
That's a shame, Here in New England My F.I. 1975 has no problems with any of the hills around, and some are quite steep...although not like you have. There's a member here from your area actually that is running a 1915cc with factory F.I. He says he has plenty of power for hills. Years ago a friend and myself converted his '77 sedan to an 1835cc. It was amazing. I'm thinking of building one for my '75 convertible when the time comes.
muggermackaye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best Shop for FI Beetles in Colorado Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
That's a shame, Here in New England My F.I. 1975 has no problems with any of the hills around, and some are quite steep...although not like you have. There's a member here from your area actually that is running a 1915cc with factory F.I. He says he has plenty of power for hills. Years ago a friend and myself converted his '77 sedan to an 1835cc. It was amazing. I'm thinking of building one for my '75 convertible when the time comes.

I'm not really talking about the mountains, just the normal ups and downs of the Denver area. It must be the overall elevation.
Lesson learned. Once I register it as a collector vehicle, I will be able to change the engine, and I'll build a mild stroker for it and use a fitech or similar system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: