Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got the mig set up. Btw I couldnt believe how must easier it is to mig than tig. Its not as pretty but worth it for sheet metal imo.

The car is inside for now which is nice.

Gas tank cleaned up well. Wont take much to make pretty.

E brake and cables are in.

So heres the plan for the car.

1. Fix all rust
2.fix all dents and massage metal to perfection.
3. Prime and undercoat engine bay, trunk, underside of body, luggage tray, and inner fenders.
4. Buy only the nessisary seals.
5. Drive the car around until I have saved up for paint.
6. Buy and install interior
7. Enjoy

I'm also working on an electric trunk latch, and pop outs. A local guy did the pop outs that turned out sick. I'm thinking of a few other neat ideas like that. Like heated seats and steering wheel, bmw e30 sport seats, access doors on the luggage tray for the starter and clutch cable, stuff like that.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Before you have window and seals installed, you are going to want to have it painted and the headliner installed. You can remove the windows after the fact but it might be a pain and something could break. You could probably drive it without a windshield or any other windows if you wear some googles.
I know this is probably not what you would want but if you want to save some $$$, think at trying to mix your own paint color with tractor paint. It can give good results and it is decent quality. It is also only $40 a gallon I think.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

I was thinking I would not install the headliner or even replace the rubber seals until I have it painted. And since I will be undercoating the trunk as well, I could install the wiring.

I will have too look into the tractor paint. Right now I'm researching on undercoat. I was thinking epoxy primer then SEM rubberized undercoat.

Today, I got most of the brake lines done. I just need to install one more line, tighten everything down, install the rubber seals between the chassis, and figure a way to secure the longest section since my tabs are snapped.

I also aligned the steering box so now the steering wheel works and the tie rods dont rub on the frame head.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

well, i didnt make much progress because it rained yesterday. And it rained HARD. So hard, the rain water found its way into the oil pan of my spare TDI engine and push TONS of oil out of the sump and onto the concrete, so i spent the entire day cleaning it up.

however, i nearly got the tranny clearanced.

and the 1600 is nearing completion,

oh and the brake lines are 100% done
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Today I finished dremeling out the bell housing and tested it with the starter.

Now I just need to remove all the flakes.

And I also lifted the body up in the air so I can start metal work.

And I found more rust Crying or Very sad

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Oh, the joys of rust.
Everyday I find some more to blast , grind , treat , paint or throw in the bin.
😀
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Well I nearly got the lock block in however I couldnt get the last throw out bearing clip on. It's so stupid. I was sitting there for 3 hours with several kinds of pliers but couldnt get it. Although I was multi tasking while on the phone the entire time.

I had the clips on before and the way I did it was put the straight wire side in the bearing, and then twist the curved end under the throw out arm. But it's really tough this time.

Am I doing it wrong?

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

engine nearly ready to be fired up. just gotta bolt up the rest of the tins and install carb, exhaust, etc.

I just happened to have these. i bought them for a failed project but ended up needing them today.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Getting ready to fire it up,

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Almost time to drive it around the yard without the body
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Let’s hear it!
Did it run ?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Quote:
bmw e30 sport seats
EXCELLENT choice! I have a set of black vinyl sport seats from an '86 325es in my Ghia Cabrio; installed them in the late 1980's. Have you figured out how to adjust the seat cushion height? And will you install them directly on the pan, or use a type of intermediate adapter rails? You'll find that the seatback release levers on the outboard side of the backrests stick out so far that they'll contact the door panels when you attempt to close the doors. What I did was to remove them, and install the narrower lever from the inboard side of the seatback onto the outboard side.

In the early '90's I had a '72 Standard Beetle in which i installed a pair of E30 non-sport seats; I'm fairly certain that I bolted the rails directly to the floor and still had sufficient cushion height for a comfortable driving position.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Let’s hear it!
Did it run ?

Of course it Will run. I built it Laughing unfortunately, I went to start it, and the starter is hotter than the sun Laughing so its toast. I need find a new one. However the engine did burp a few times. But it was spinning over soooooo slow.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
bmw e30 sport seats
EXCELLENT choice! I have a set of black vinyl sport seats from an '86 325es in my Ghia Cabrio; installed them in the late 1980's. Have you figured out how to adjust the seat cushion height? And will you install them directly on the pan, or use a type of intermediate adapter rails? You'll find that the seatback release levers on the outboard side of the backrests stick out so far that they'll contact the door panels when you attempt to close the doors. What I did was to remove them, and install the narrower lever from the inboard side of the seatback onto the outboard side.

In the early '90's I had a '72 Standard Beetle in which i installed a pair of E30 non-sport seats; I'm fairly certain that I bolted the rails directly to the floor and still had sufficient cushion height for a comfortable driving position.

Sweet. I may have some questions in the future for you. I was thinking about bolted them straight to the pans, and if I need to adjust them then I could shim them with some bar stock or something. Doesnt sound very safe lol. I should be able to 3d print a new lever. Got any pictures? I was only able to find one online.

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Get an autostick starter. No bushing problems. I got one from AutoZone over ten years ago for like 34-40 bucks. Works great.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Get an autostick starter. No bushing problems. I got one from AutoZone over ten years ago for like 34-40 bucks. Works great.

That's what I'm gonna do. I just had o rielly order an autostick starter so I can pick it up tomorrow.

Also, is this an issue? It seems kinda loose?

https://youtube.com/shorts/bXwkrdRxVRo?feature=share
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Instead of re typing everything, I'm just gonna quote myself from my other thread.

Chickensoup wrote:
I picked up the starter today. Works great! Thanks for the suggestion.

As expected, it started right up. But with 4 issues. 1 of which has been solved.

1. It was smoking, but the control ring seated after the second run. I remember one of them being kinda weird sitting in the groove. Engine doesnt smoke at all now thankfully.

2. I have a giant exhaust leak as expected.

So I will be on the look out for a new head. And I really hate the aftermarket muffler so I'm probably just gonna buy a good used merge header and j tubes.

3. Out of all the places it could be leaking oil... its leaking out of the oil filter lip. Wtf? Its tight so maybe I got a faulty seal? Idk.

4. I need to re adjust the rockers. I specs i found for side play are obviously way too large.

Other than that now i just need to fix the above problems, get it tuned properly, not just by feel lol, and make it not look like an incomplete turd Laughing

The first video is me starting it for the very first time, the second video is the second ir third time starting it. Sounds way out of tune but at least it runs. Idk even knowing it has oil preassure yet. A sender unit is in the list.

Right now I have a "german" 009, and a h31/30. I've heard it's an ok set up.

Question- which vacume nipples should be plugged? Where can I find a diagram?

Thanks

Link

https://youtube.com/shorts/uLqYb7mbJk4?feature=share

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Awesome! Actually that doesn't sound half bad. But audio can be a bit tricky over the net.

Now let's get a video of you driving your pan around!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Awesome! Actually that doesn't sound half bad. But audio can be a bit tricky over the net.

Now let's get a video of you driving your pan around!

Your really gonna make me set up the go pro aren't you Wink

Its loud with the noisy valvetrain and exhaust leak but not top fuel dragster loud Smile I can assemble the rear brakes finally and fix the clutch issue.

I remove the steering wheel from the body so I can steer the chassis.
And I cleaned the drum so it would stop dragging on the backing plate.

Heres my next nightmare.

The vw engineer who though this was a good idea needs to be slapped on the back of the head for this one Laughing well, he probably dead by now tho.

And I also touched up the damaged paint

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: ‘65 TOURIST PASS Beetle build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Heres my next nightmare.

The vw engineer who though this was a good idea needs to be slapped on the back of the head for this one Laughing well, he probably dead by now tho.
Laughing that is actually a good design. I think the point is so that someone can’t take it off, free the steering, and steal the car. So it works good then as you can’t get it apart Laughing Good luck with it as it doesn’t look like fun to get apart. Your best bet may be to grind of the bolt and nut from the top side till you get to the sheet metal and it drops free. Then just weld a new nut on.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 41

Jump to: