Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex dual carb issues - 32 PDSIT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZippyTWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted. Smile

1971 Squareback w/ dual carbs~~Zippy (Main project)
1969 Fastback~~McNasty (Haven't started this one yet)
1965 Ford F100~~Betsy (Husband's main project)
1993 Dodge Dakota SLT~~Ole Red (Runs when nothing else wants to)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Russ.

My '66 is more like 45 degrees too:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Excuse my repro fuel pump, the original one with a cap failed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZippyTWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, folks, I'm making some great progress. I got the rods all adjusted as they should be and all of the base line settings where they should be. Very Happy I had a couple of trouble spots though. First, when I disconnected the 3 arm linkage, I noticed that the whole shaft was crooked. It was like the PO had whacked it to lean to the left about 15*. So off that came and went into the garage to get straightened out. Upon taking all of the bits and pieces off of it to run it all on the wire wheel to clean them up, I noticed there was no grease or anything slick between the shaft and the cylinder that it lives in. Just some really sticky gooey nasty grease. I cleaned that all off and put on some Anti-seize and then a little grease from the grease gun over that. It moves great now. Put it on the bench and pounded the crookedness out of it. It now sits at a perfect (to the eye) 90*. You should let people know that this needs to be greased when they are in there tinkering. I can't imagine it never needing lubrication. Also, when I first took that all apart, the throttle cable snapped. Well, not 'snapped' it just kind of fell apart. I'm glad it was in the driveway when that happened. Anyway, I am to the point where I need to start and warm up the car to get it all fine tuned and therefore need to replace the throttle cable. I can't seem to find anything in my books (the book I ordered isn't here yet, s/b here tomorrow or Friday?) and in the forum, I've only found a bazillion stories about when the throttle cable broke and how they got home. Not how to replace it. All I know is it has to be well greased and goes from the gas pedal to the engine compartment. Do I need to jack up the car? Is it obvious when I get under there? Do I need to get under there to do it?

Good job guys on getting me through the first stretch. All of the linkages etc fit together great now. YAY! Hope to hear from you soon.
~~Sheri

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZippyTWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!!! I got it figured out! I crawled under the car to look and see what I could see. Nothing resembling a throttle cable. So I just had to sit still a minute and think. What is the other end connected to? Aha! The gas pedal! DUH! Pulled back the new carpet that I put in this fall and found it! Just thought I'd let you know that we're still moving ahead. Just a temporary brain fart. Very Happy lol ~~Sheri

ZippyTWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, another update. I now know why the PO tweaked everything so badly. The throttle cables that are supposed to be for this car are too short. When I pulled the broken one out and measured it against the new one that I had bought 'just in case' they were the same length and both had the S connector to the gas pedal. After feeding it all the way through, UH-OH, it doesn't reach the 3 arm bracket in the middle. Instead of shopping around and trying to figure out what cable I'm supposed to have, we machined a fully removable bracket that connects the 3 arm bracket to the end of the throttle cable with the full mobility of the original set up. I'll load pics tomorrow of this bracket.

Now, I just wanted to start her up and see if she'd run. YAY! She started first try and sputtered a little (she had some oil in the exhaust--what does that mean?) then she idled up and was revving pretty high. I turned the idle adjustment screw down on left first then right with absolutely no discernible difference. After the 1/2 turn counterclockwise, there is no adjustment on that screw left. It's just adjusting empty air space--not touching the throttle valve arm. I am too tired to try anything else tonight, but I made some real progress. I didn't want to do any adjusting on the volume control screw until I had the idle down some. I don't have a tach, so I couldn't tell you what the RPMs were. I just know they sounded pretty high. Oh, and there is no pressure on any of the linkage rods or the throttle cable. I could connect and disconnect without any change in engine speed.

I'll check in the morning to see if anyone has any hints for me, but it won't be until after work that I'll be back out in the driveway working on Zippy. I'll be glad when this is all adjusted right. Then she might be my little 'zip drive' Very Happy

Thank you, ~~Sheri

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZippyTWS wrote:
Instead of shopping around and trying to figure out what cable I'm supposed to have, we machined a fully removable bracket that connects the 3 arm bracket to the end of the throttle cable with the full mobility of the original set up. I'll load pics tomorrow of this bracket.

I turned the idle adjustment screw down on left first then right with absolutely no discernible difference. After the 1/2 turn counterclockwise, there is no adjustment on that screw left. It's just adjusting empty air space--not touching the throttle valve arm. I am too tired to try anything else tonight, but I made some real progress. I didn't want to do any adjusting on the volume control screw until I had the idle down some. I don't have a tach, so I couldn't tell you what the RPMs were. I just know they sounded pretty high. Oh, and there is no pressure on any of the linkage rods or the throttle cable. I could connect and disconnect without any change in engine speed.

With your new machined cable adapter, is the cable still slack now that you've backed both idle screws out? I'm only asking , because the cable could now be holding the linkage open, and keeping the idle speed high. If the cable's tight, check to see if the carpet is holding the throttle pedal down too (this is common), as that will also keep the idle speed high. If the carpet isn't holding the cable tight, and you've still got slack in the cable in the engine compartment, then you'll probably have to adjust the air control screws a little to help get the idle down.
One of the many carb experts might chime in here pretty soon, but this might give you a starting point to look.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ZippyTWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
ZippyTWS wrote:
Instead of shopping around and trying to figure out what cable I'm supposed to have, we machined a fully removable bracket that connects the 3 arm bracket to the end of the throttle cable with the full mobility of the original set up. I'll load pics tomorrow of this bracket.

I turned the idle adjustment screw down on left first then right with absolutely no discernible difference. After the 1/2 turn counterclockwise, there is no adjustment on that screw left. It's just adjusting empty air space--not touching the throttle valve arm. I am too tired to try anything else tonight, but I made some real progress. I didn't want to do any adjusting on the volume control screw until I had the idle down some. I don't have a tach, so I couldn't tell you what the RPMs were. I just know they sounded pretty high. Oh, and there is no pressure on any of the linkage rods or the throttle cable. I could connect and disconnect without any change in engine speed.

With your new machined cable adapter, is the cable still slack now that you've backed both idle screws out? I'm only asking , because the cable could now be holding the linkage open, and keeping the idle speed high. If the cable's tight, check to see if the carpet is holding the throttle pedal down too (this is common), as that will also keep the idle speed high. If the carpet isn't holding the cable tight, and you've still got slack in the cable in the engine compartment, then you'll probably have to adjust the air control screws a little to help get the idle down.
One of the many carb experts might chime in here pretty soon, but this might give you a starting point to look.

To be honest, I don't remember since it was so late last night, but I will check those things first. Thank you Bob.

ZippyTWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to let you know:

ALL IS WELL! WE'RE BACK ON THE ROAD AND RUNNING SMOOTH!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bob, There was still slack in the cable, the carpet was fine, and all was as it should be. We adjusted the air screws and lowered the idle. Then My husband helped me do the final adjustments on the synching. Oh, and so far, the new fuel filters (2) are still clean. Smile

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You've all been a great help and if you were here, I'd give you a big plate of Christmas cookies that I'll now have time to make!

P.S. I'll load the pics of the new bracket on my gallery soon. Promise!

Thanks to all!
(Not such a dumb girl after all. Surprised )
~~Sheri Very Happy

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should start adjusting the idle speed (900-1000 rpm) with the long rods off. Adjust the idle speed and the mixture screws. The left carb should be considered the master carb. Start with it first, and then set the right carb to sync with the left.
Get the carbs syncronized at idle. Then put the left link on. The speed should not change.
Now put the right link on. The speed should not change. Now, bring the engine speed up to about 2400 rpm, and check the synchronization of the carbs. They should be pretty close at this rpm. If they are not, adjust the right long rod to get them matched.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZippyTWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
You should start adjusting the idle speed (900-1000 rpm) with the long rods off. Adjust the idle speed and the mixture screws. The left carb should be considered the master carb. Start with it first, and then set the right carb to sync with the left.
Get the carbs syncronized at idle. Then put the left link on. The speed should not change.
Now put the right link on. The speed should not change. Now, bring the engine speed up to about 2400 rpm, and check the synchronization of the carbs. They should be pretty close at this rpm. If they are not, adjust the right long rod to get them matched.

Russ, Yep, check, check, check. Did all that. I'll drive her for a few days and double check to make sure it's still synched. Very Happy My hubby came out to lend a hand if I needed one and between us, got it set right. Thank you for all your help. Having the manuals and all the other info right here on the site was a genius idea! Glad they thought of it. (Was it Everett?)
~~Sheri

B1zzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is zippy now! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Twitter Classifieds Feedback
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex dual carb issues - 32 PDSIT Reply with quote

It's a very good post, I learned from it. Can any one give me the length of the right side rod because I need to make another one as it's bended badly and I can't get it straight as it should be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: