Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi venturis
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Looking for some info on the 51 Empi carbs. Want to downsize the venturis from 48 to 44, are the Weber venturis the same and fit in my Empis? The Weber venturis from CB Performance look to be much higher quality than the Empi ones I saw on other web sites. Any help would be appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

I have Weber 48 IDAs and EMPI 51 EPCs and the parts are interchangeable.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

I have a set of 42/46 berg vents, I will sell them for a deal if you want them..

I used them once on the dyno then went to straight 46's

These are suppose to be great for street use, they are the ones with the grooves.

PM me if you are interested. what ever berg sells them for I will take off 40%
rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, discussing this with my engine builder, we may try the Berg venturis if they’ll fit, waiting for a call back from Berg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Ivkings4, did the venturis not give good results on your dyno test? I have a 2332, 10.5 compression, cb ultra wedge ports, .585 lift, 1 3/4 a1 sidewinder exhaust. Wasn’t dynoed but estimate approx 235 to 240 hp.
rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Ok guys, I have the new venturis and the top of the carbs off, can someone tell me how to get that air horn or aux Venturi out so I can get to the venturis? Thanks for the help.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

rock25rock wrote:
Ivkings4, did the venturis not give good results on your dyno test? I have a 2332, 10.5 compression, cb ultra wedge ports, .585 lift, 1 3/4 a1 sidewinder exhaust. Wasn’t dynoed but estimate approx 235 to 240 hp.

Think he told me once they just weren’t big enough for his engine. I went from normal 37’s to 35/40 berg in the 48’s in my bay bus and they made a massive difference, pulls a lot stronger in the low & mid range and top end power is up a a bit too.

As with all things depends on the application I guess
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

They should pull straight up and out. You have to remove the pump jets first.

Also, Did you check geersengineering.com Shawn makes venturies. I just got a set from ACN.
Quote:
Ok guys, I have the new venturis and the top of the carbs off, can someone tell me how to get that air horn or aux Venturi out so I can get to the venturis? Thanks for the help.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

What are the pump jets and I went with the Berg 40/44 grooved venturis, but the damn aux Venturi or whatever the hell it is won’t come out with any reasonable amount of force.
rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Ok, the pump jets are out, they just pull out.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

rock25rock wrote:
Ok, the pump jets are out, they just pull out.

Just grab the aux ventury and pull it straight up and out of the carb throat.

The venturies you're trying to replace will just slide out.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

rock25rock wrote:

They were ok, I did just need bigger ones, K@rlos was right. I run straight 46's now. I will go bigger once I have 54 intake valves. Won't need the berg ones

They do what they advertise, stronger signal at lower rpm's.
rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Thanks for everybody’s help, turns out the aux venturis were twisted on the one carb, once I straightened them out they popped right out. The other one was good and took about 10 minutes to change. I’m wondering if that was part of my low end issues with those aux Venturi holes not being exactly lined up. Gotta change the rest of the jets and we’ll see!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

That makes sense. If the aux vent is not aligned with the inlet. How can it get fuel?

I haven't run mine yet. Waiting on parts sux!

From what I understand. The venturies should be 2mm smaller inside diameter that the intake valve diameter.
What size intake valves are you running?

rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

I have the CB ultra wedge ports 44 x 37.5 valves, damn things were expensive, lol, Jaycee shorty manifolds with the Empi 51’s and Jaycee polished stacks and foam filters. Don’t remember what the cam is but has 585 lift.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

rock25rock wrote:
I have the CB ultra wedge ports 44 x 37.5 valves, damn things were expensive, lol, Jaycee shorty manifolds with the Empi 51’s and Jaycee polished stacks and foam filters. Don’t remember what the cam is but has 585 lift.

Well based on the above description. 42mm venturies would be a good selection.
I don't know how the 42/46 vents work. So I'm no help with them.

On a side note. Have you installed the carbs and manifolds on your engine yet?
I too am using the JayCee shorty intake manifolds. I found that the manifold to head nuts cannot be tightened, without modifying the manifolds for some clearance. The head studs are quite a precise fit. Meaning it's difficult to get the manifolds on and off the engine.

Also, The carbs come into contact with the doghouse FS. The fuel inlets contact the FS. How, if you have them installed. Did you tackle this issue?

I ordered a Scat 36hp doghouse FS yesterday. Due to the above interference.

rock25rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Yep, same issue, my engine builder is a machinist by trade so he machined the manifolds in order to get a wrench on the nuts, the carbs and manifolds had to come off to get the engine in the car so putting them back on was a task even with Webber windows installed, had to modify a wrench to get that job done. I run an external oil cooler with a 36 horse shroud. Stuffing a 2332 in a 57 is a challenge so we went with 5.4 rods to keep it as narrow as possible and when the metal work was being done I had that shop put in late model engine shelf’s which are a bit narrower as well.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Empi venturis Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.
I don't have a mech or machinist here that can modify my bits Sad So I'm forced to do mods in my garage with simple tools on hand.

I also found that the #2 spark plug is inaccessible with the manifold in place. I suspect #3 will be the same deal. And this is with the engine on the stand.

All good fun, getting things mocked up and fit.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: