Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 562, 563, 564 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I washed it! I don't think I have washed it in over a year so it was pretty overdue.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the Vanistan (tencentlife's) excellent fresh/recirculated air control system yesterday.

Note, if you have EPAS then you might think you need to let that down to the floor in order to see what's what with the cable - that's a PITA and not necessary - remove the cluster instead, far, far easier!

Also, when removing the spring-clip for the rear vent cable, ensure it doesn't fly into the black hole of the folds in the chassis. If it does, consider using that cable for the control, rather than installing the supplied one. Smile

I also added some 0.3 micron filter material in front of the intake screen - last years fire smoke was very unpleasant to drive through.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It's such a nice modification! I like your filter idea, I might give that a go. The pollen has been really bad the last week in the DC area.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

This is the filter material (Mrs fxr acquired it for making masks):
https://www.amazon.com/Polypropylene-Filtration-Electrostatic-Efficient-Non-woven/dp/B08L3D73VQ

If you bend back the screen at the top by 1/8" or so then the filter will cling to the spikes. The front grille then holds it all firmly in place.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New radio install. So far liking a lot and looks pretty unassuming. Streams from the phone, good display that's easy to see and make the same color as the rest of the Doka.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dlosey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After owning my 88 Westy for 20plus years I finally got the cruise control repaired. A Ken Wilford video and a 59 cent rubber washer trimmed to fit the switch piston is all it took!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Laughing Cool Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Opened the slider and put in the box of Devcon Titanium Putty I ordered in March. Just arrived today from Estonia. I'll be starting on the Westy's case repair shortly.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Replaced the old destroyed horn ring. Beep beep kids are stoked.

Update: Its been about a week since I fixed the horn and I have yet to use it. All my time driving with a broken horn, I needed it almost daily. But now that it works, the world seems to be driving in perfect harmony.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Blakesinclair wrote:
Replaced the old destroyed horn ring. Beep beep kids are stoked.

Update: Its been about a week since I fixed the horn and I have yet to use it. All my time driving with a broken horn, I needed it almost daily. But now that it works, the world seems to be driving in perfect harmony.

Honk it anyway and wave!
Sometimes I'll just honk and wave at my pretend friend.
Sorta freaks out your passengers...... Laughing Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheatenwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Upgraded starter using Karl's adapter. Night and day difference. Replaced used coil with new Bosch variety. Very Happy
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed an Autovox V5 dashcam that has a front and rear camera. Drivers around here have really gotten out of hand and many years ago having one when my wife was in a fender bender in another vehicle really saved the day as the other driver was not honest about being at fault.

Pretty tedious to get the wires fished up the A-pillar. I will replace the headliner so I wasn't too careful with pushing it back in and making it pretty. It's in a Doka and I ran the cable for the rear camera in some split loom along where the coolant pipes run and into the engine bay. I drilled a 1/2 hole between the tag lights and ran the cable thru a grommet and attached above the tag. I would have rather placed it inside at the top of the rear window but would need to get a new mount fabricated. I might still go that route in the future though.

I've only driven a couple of times so far and having a video feed instead of the mirror is odd. I do not see a way to turn the display off and still have it recording, which would be nice. It seems a little dark in bright sunlight as well to me. Time will tell.

Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the GW alternator bracket support thing yesterday. Turns out the whole orginal bracket was loose. One nut was missing and the other was loose. Getting to those things was a nightmare, but I tightened them best I could with a little blue locktite, and hopefully with the support bracket it’ll be ok.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally installed the DIY Rear Cabinet that I made recently.
Sliding doors, 3 shelves, and a dropped lower section that stores 5 qt oil bottle out of the way of the lowest shelf.
Baltic Birch, 3/4” and 1/2” thicknesses as needed. Doors are actually 1/4” Birch, but I flipped the plywood around since the Laun veneer layer looked more interesting as a contrast to the birch next to it. Made the doors darker as well.
A bit of brown T- Moulding, finish is Old Masters Golden Oak Gel Stain, several coats of Epifanes Rapid Clear and one top coat of Rapid Coat( tinted varnish with Brown tint to it). Interior got several coats of Outdoor Lacquer that I had on hand.
Mounting is 2 steel angle brackets on the floor, and 1 custom setup using the VW rear seat belt welded nut on the back pillars( 7/16 “ fine thread). I used 3/8” pipe nipple as the spacer/bushing around the 7/16” bolt, so the bolt tightens the cabinet up against the body but doesn’t pull it anymore than what’s needed.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

(above)

is that your shop or one of those rent-a-lift places?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
(above)

is that your shop or one of those rent-a-lift places?
My work, out in the Suburbs.
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My high-heat adhesive arrived from Amazon so I was able to finish my driver side interior door panel.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Kudos to you. It looks fantastic. I'd love to be able to get a glimpse inside at all of those wonderful details you spoke of.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

Kudos to you. It looks fantastic. I'd love to be able to get a glimpse inside at all of those wonderful details you spoke of.
. I’ll post some of the build pictures this morning.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 562, 563, 564 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 563 of 630

Jump to: