Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice quality drums . . NOT
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Just happened this morning, brake drum just crumbled on me.
Lucky this didn't happen on the freeway just 10 min earlier I was doing 70

Was stranded at 8:00am, AAA didn't get me home till after 3:00pm
Whats going on with AAA??? maybe DMV took over.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Is the nut still tight?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Where did those drums come from? I have a new set that looks similar made in Italy. That is the first time I've seen pictures like THAT! Shocked I'd like to avoid installing that manufacturer. Speak to the hand It's not the VW parts house I'm blaming, they just buy the drums like every other parts house. I'm curious about the source.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Is the nut still tight?

Nut is still tight, gonna be fun getting it off.

Don't remember the brand but I think it's Brazilian.
Just to tired to take it off right now, it's been a long waisted day.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Use an impact gun.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

is that a spacer behind the rim?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Looks like evidence of rust in the cracked areas closest to the hub -- that drum has been cracked for a while.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Wow. You see something new everyday. I've never seen a failure like that before.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

The new vented drum. It keeps the brake shoes cool.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

I was going to ask what happened on IG, wow!! Sucks about AAA, 2 months ago I destroyed my diff in orange, AAA was there in 40 min with a flatbed, we did have to ride in another car, covid rules we could not ride with the tow truck driver.

Was that tightened with a impact? when was the last time you messed with that drum?

Sucks you spent the day waiting for something that should of taken no more than 2 hours.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

this is common enough in Formula Vee's , Australian regulations state you must run a regulation steel safety plate , bolts up with the axle nut .
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

While on AAA rant..... I had to have my PU towed to shop to have ECU replaces and the tow company I expected did not show, but one from neighboring community did, driver an helper both dirty (not just from days work), and fender of rig was held on with zip ties, and fuel tank was held up with web straps..... Not what I expected at all....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
I was going to ask what happened on IG, wow!! Sucks about AAA, 2 months ago I destroyed my diff in orange, AAA was there in 40 min with a flatbed, we did have to ride in another car, covid rules we could not ride with the tow truck driver.

Was that tightened with a impact? when was the last time you messed with that drum?

Sucks you spent the day waiting for something that should of taken no more than 2 hours.

Never used an impact wrench, always the torque Meister.

Im really pissed at AAA right now, they gave me the run around all day, never any contact at all, I called several times and got the same BS . . Let me contact my stupervisor .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Im really pissed at AAA right now, they gave me the run around all day, never any contact at all, I called several times and got the same BS . . Let me contact my stupervisor .

Call AAA and really complain.

A decade ago Mrs. Cusser had a blowout in the desert bringing our daughter, the horse trailer, horse back from 110 miles away. She called AAA and it happened to be the day that their phone lines were down. She called me at work, I went home to pick up my floor jack and tools, got the tire changed. I complained to AAA and got a $50 credit.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

My guess is a poor casting, the chunk in your hand almost looks like evidence of porosity. Think
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Seriously, that photo sent a shiver up my spine, that's crazy scary! How did you notice, what were the symptoms? Are there any starts of cracks on the other side?

Is it the drum, the application,...or the user? If it's the drum, we have to find out who makes those things, lives seem to depend on it! Yikes! Also, I wouldn't expect those to be Italian, they know their metallurgy.

As for AAA, people here have the same complaints for the local "AAA", but they probably shouldn't; it's always worse someplace else! Besides, i think the slow service is a way of providing a "cooling-down period" between the crash/breakdown and when they bring you back into contact with society. Many lives saved. Laughing
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Looks like evidence of rust in the cracked areas closest to the hub -- that drum has been cracked for a while.

I agree You have hit something in the past or dropped the hub - rock , kerb and it started cracking. And then finally broke.

Probably not a QC issue might partly explain why VW shifted to a narrower stud pattern when the reduction boxes were deleted, as there is a lot of brittle cast iron in that design.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
this is common enough in Formula Vee's , Australian regulations state you must run a regulation steel safety plate , bolts up with the axle nut .

Any pictures of the safety plate that is required?

I'm wondering if this drum was ever ran offroad or slid into a curb at some point.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
Wreck wrote:

Any pictures of the safety plate that is required?

I'm wondering if this drum was ever ran offroad or slid into a curb at some point.

No sorry I can't find any pictures , it's called a brake drum diaphragm plate . The early Vee's running brake drums were breaking drums . a lot of side load from cornering then bouncing over ripple strips/curbs would crack the drum causing a failure . As mentioned above the wide 5 cast drums were not designed for that sort of abuse .
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Nice quality drums . . NOT Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
No one wants to work when they’re making more money on unemployment.

So, does that mean that's what you would do? Laughing

Seriously, that photo sent a shiver up my spine, that's crazy scary! How did you notice, what were the symptoms? Are there any starts of cracks on the other side?

Is it the drum, the application,...or the user? If it's the drum, we have to find out who makes those things, lives seem to depend on it! Yikes! Also, I wouldn't expect those to be Italian, they know their metallurgy.

As for AAA, people here have the same complaints for the local "AAA", but they probably shouldn't; it's always worse someplace else! Besides, i think the slow service is a way of providing a "cooling-down period" between the crash/breakdown and when they bring you back into contact with society. Many lives saved. Laughing

After getting off the freeway I drove another mile or so and started to hear a scraping sound, like when a spring brakes inside the drum.
So I pulled over to check, felt all the wheels and that one was definitely warming up.
I only had another mile to go so took it as slow as I could then it finally crumbled on me.
This was 8:00 am . . . . I didn't see a tow truck until after 2:00 pm
So much for AAA cool down theory, I was pretty efin hot by then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: