Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I think he was snapping his own photo. Maybe he'll post some up here?

I could spend the rest of my life driving behind this bus and not get bored. Props to Greg and Clara for actually using this shiny thing the way it was intended.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AC Mack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Moxee 2017

1966 Westfalia so42 Schiebedach fabrik 4864
1967 Model 231 EZ Kamper # 1940
1978 Westfalia P 31 / 1987 Westfalia Wolfram Grau
Split Bus Club / Lost Coast Bays / North Coast Vans
Long may that Split Bus run!
Always and Everywhere Volkswagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

What. A. Bus.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Thanks!

In July of this year on the way back from the Seattle Vintage Meet we had some monkey rear end us and do some minor damage.

I was just creeping along in traffic going about 5mph and he was going about 6mph and not paying attention. It broke both reflectors, creased the corners and D-pillars slightly. Scratched the bumper a tiny bit and put a few scratches in the decklid and a few almost not noticeable dents there. The guy refused to pull over and since traffic was so slow Clara stuck the camera out of the window and started taking pictures of the driver and the guys truck.

Eventually we managed to get him pulled over, and then he refused to give me his license, proof of insurance, or registration card. He told me it was my fault, that my brakelights were out (I checked while he watched, they worked fine) and I told him that's because I wasn't using them. I told him I was calling the cops. He then offered me $500 (I should have taken it!) and then fled the scene of the accident. It was a little hairy, I was reaching into his truck trying to grab his keys to prevent him from leaving and my friend Patrick was standing right in front of his truck when he started the ignition. The guy was ready to run Patrick over, so he jumped out of the way and the driver nearly took out Parick's wife Rachael in the process of trying to get away.

The cops came about 20 minutes later, took a police report, showed us a mug shot of the guy to confirm who was driving, and said they would do their best to find him. They said he had a suspended license from a DUI which automatically meant he had no insurance. I never heard back if they caught the guy or not. Oh well, I was insured and got a check to cover the damage. I haven't got it fixed yet but I did track down a new pair of reflectors to match the cracked ones (Thanks Danny!). Hope my premiums do not go up too much next year.

After the Yakima event I decided it was time to yank the transmission out again. I had it "rebuilt" about 8 years ago by Jack at Wolfsburg Motorwerks in Seattle. I dropped it off after he quoted me it was a three day job and could have it done quickly. Three days came and went, he said he needed a part which I found. Ultimately he had it for a year and three days exactly, during which we had sold the bus it was intended for. After that the trans sat on my shelf for 8 years before I installed it in this bus this past April before the Kelly Park event. It immediately started popping out of third gear going down hills which was fairly irritating. Jack had moved to Utah a few years ago, so I pulled the tranny and took it to Gary Zink yesterday. It doesn't look like Jack did anything except for install the NOS first gear slider I had bought from Vintage Parts and brought him. Anyway, both third and fourth gear syncros were seriously worn, and the third/fourth shift fork was super worn as well. We then proceeded to install new syncros, and replaced the 3/4 shift fork with a nice used one. We also replaced the 1/2 shift fork, and adjusted the gear engagement properly - for some reason the NOS first gear was adjusted so it only had about 60% engagement - it worked, but who knows for how long it would have lasted like that.

Anyway, I just finished assembling the reduction boxes (I hate doing the same job twice) and am in the process of installing it back into the bus today. Hopefully I have better luck with it this time.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Damn.. glad the damage from the accident wasn't worse than it is and that nobody got hurt.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Dang that sucks Greg, on both counts. Glad everyone is ok.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

We were going home in stop and go traffic, when the guy behind wasn't paying attention and hit us. I took these pics right after it happened.
You can see the reflection of the guy who hit us the bus, he's wearing a baseball cap.

I'm glad I quickly grabbed the handy camera and took pics of the guy who hit us clearly showing liscence plate number.
After the officer said he guy had lost his driving licence for DUIs, then Rachael asked,

"Is he a douche? I mean, is he a scumbag?"

Greg did not have his brakes on when the guy hit us, we were not stopped. The guy was going a few mph faster than we were and just ran into the back of the bus. Crying or Very sad
The corners were actually somewhat wrinkled when we got the bus. I had just been enjoying that things were getting better on our ten+ year restoration project. I have driven ratty buses for so long, it's enjoyable to have a nice one. Now they are wrinkled again, and those were the og reflectors to the bus. Well, at least it's not worse. No one was hurt and the bus was still fully drivable, just dinged.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

This is my new favorite pic of a hit and run driver.

The bus is awesome, and made even better by how you guys use it. I know it'll get fixed up real good soon enough.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Dang... that guy is a real tool.
Glad to hear/see it was low-speed... but hard to believe at the same time.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Rachael asked,

It's your fault for taking that old bus, getting it all cherry, then taking it out onto the road where real cars do real things. If you hadn't restored it so pristine then the dull-ass-ugly-wrinkles wouldn't have faked him into thinking there wasn't anything in front of him.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Everyone enjoys banging in a bus, NOT getting bang from behind...wait, what..

Sorry about the ordeal. That’s a pickle. From behind. Uh oh, here I go again.
I’m 12 today, please proceed further with your regular programming.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

What A ScumBag!!!!!! Sorry to here this has happened. Glad you guys are ok. He probably doesn't even know the true value or sentimental value of a 10 year resto like yours. I am sure you guys will have it fixed in no time and back on the road to enjoy. Again glad your ok God Bless!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Clara wrote:
Rachael asked,

It's your.... in front of him.

I'm being facetious.

There is a very powerful force at work in the universe that somehow targets onto cherry things with scungy arrows. How many things have gone unmarred until you gave them some love and detail? Then, out of the blue, they got nailed somehow.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Well, it's been driven a few miles since the shiny paint.
Somehow I have avoided many accidents. I had a shiny 65 westy I daily drove for years w/o a crunch (knock on wood). It got some rock chips and a door ding or so, but no accident damage.

FWIW, here are some old pics showing the corners on the '56
~ 1974:

2005:

2017:

so it is still better than pre-Rafferty, even with the douchebag's 'help'. Rolling Eyes

We've put over 43,000 miles on it since the 2005 pic.
Resto is still in progress. Laughing

New transaxle was buttoned up Monday morning, we popped the motor back in, and the bus is tucked into storage till spring, or we have time to mess with it.
duhbrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Any updates on this beaut? I hate that the last update was getting rear ended!

pondoras box wrote:
We complain about people "flipping" cars on here but we have no problem hitting up Amazon or Walmart for flipping cheap foreign junk!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

I haven’t made any improvements to the bus, but thanks for asking. In 2018 Clara & I relocated to Petaluma (Northern California) and have taken the bus to a number of Bay Area events.

I’d like to get back on the woodwork one of these days.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

God, I love this bus.
It was a pleasure to be it's East Coast caretaker during it's various stages of restoration.
I only got to drive it around 3500 miles Cool

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
God, I love this bus.
It was a pleasure to be it's East Coast caretaker during it's various stages of restoration.
I only got to drive it around 3500 miles 8)

Come visit. Let’s go camping. I think the bus misses you driving it.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
God, I love this bus.
I only got to drive it around 3500 miles Cool

Come visit. Let’s go camping. I think the bus misses you driving it.

I could always drive another bus that we know about cross country. Very Happy

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
duhbrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Any chance it'll be in attendance at Red Barn this year?

pondoras box wrote:
We complain about people "flipping" cars on here but we have no problem hitting up Amazon or Walmart for flipping cheap foreign junk!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 51

Jump to: