Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

I'm looking for any opinions on what you guys would suggest. I'm not going to buy a welder so if there is any welding to be done I'm taking it to a professional.
I've wire-wheeled it a bit but not extensively. I'm thinking of just cleaning and priming and putting the windshield back in but I thought while the windshield is out I should look into all my options.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

Take it to a pro. Best thing to do unless you want to deal with it again when the rust get worse and the time and money you spend to do just as you said. Not including the money to do it right again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

Aggressively wire brush,
coat it in epoxy,
sand to a smooth-ish finish.

That big hole looks like it needs to be fixed, but I might leave the smaller holes.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

I recently did this same repair. There were areas of slight corrosion up to complete rusted areas. I just bent up some new metal and cut out large sections of that channel and welded it in. Around the corners I used straight pieces with pie cuts in it because I don't have a shrinker/stretcher. Came out really well and no-one see the vast majority of it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

The “right” way for longer lasting best results would be to buy the actual replacement panel and use what you need. There was a usually more damage once you start cleaning it up. It also gives you a chance to clean and coat the inside. If you wanted to settle in, it would be a good time to pull the top of the dash and deal with a bunch of stuff that is easy to get through with the windshield out.

I also understand that it’s more fun to drive than make it a museum piece. You might be able to get away with patching the rusted out areas. This is basically what I did and it came out well and was a solid repair.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: