Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Melting flasher relay. 1972 1200 beetle UK
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markus250
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Melting flasher relay. 1972 1200 beetle UK Reply with quote

Hi all, got an issue with our indicators. They suddenly stopped working, but when I put hazard lights on, they would flash, only extremely dim. I decided to check the fuses and relay and fuses all fine but relay had melted and was smoking so I switched everything off and removed the old relay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought the relay being old had burnt out or so.ething, so I fitted a new one and that melted too!

Now I'm assuming a short somewhere. But where I don't know. All wires under bonnet look fine even to back of the relay. Nothing seems split or making contact with anything it shouldn't. I decided to start at the indicator switch as it looked to have been replaced at some point with wires joined. All those joins seem fine. My concern it's that when the indicator switch is screwed in place on the cumn, could it's wiring be coming into contact with the screws securing the ignition switch cover? Someone on a beetle Facebook group has said they had that issue.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Melting flasher relay. 1972 1200 beetle UK Reply with quote

I guess I would start by making sure the correct bulbs (correct wattage) are installed. Then with bulbs out, check each turn signal wire with an ohmmeter to ground. The best way would be to disconnect at the junctions in the truck and test from there. Then check turn signal switch to ground if necessary, in both positions, left and right. Also verify correct wiring going to the flasher relay.

See wire diagram in tech section.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Melting flasher relay. 1972 1200 beetle UK Reply with quote

I guess I would start by making sure the correct bulbs (correct wattage) are installed. Then with bulbs out, check each turn signal wire with an ohmmeter to ground. The best way would be to disconnect at the junctions in the truck and test from there. Then check turn signal switch to ground if necessary, in both positions, left and right. Also verify correct wiring going to the flasher relay.

See wire diagram in tech section.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_71.jpg
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Melting flasher relay. 1972 1200 beetle UK Reply with quote

If relay is smoking someone bypassed the fuse block or they put a high amp fuse in so you need to start tracing wires from the relay. If it smokes just with the key on it's probably the 49a wire.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Melting flasher relay. 1972 1200 beetle UK Reply with quote

Pull out the wires at the 49a terminal. For your model* there should be 2 wires on one terminal there - one black with green white tracer and another blue one that goes to the emergency flasher switch (but don't worry about the colors as they changed over the years). Use a multimeter and check for ground on this wire. There should be no ground. If there is ground, then the relay be on all the time - even though the lights are not flashing (as the turn switch and e-flasher switch are off) -- burning up the relay.

* the 1200s used older wiring set up than the corresponding Deluxe models. I've not seen 1200 specific wiring diagrams posted here. But, I believe the 70s 1200s continued to use the 71 turn signal switch - so am referring to that 71 wiring diagram.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: