Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for the long haul
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

My fondest memory of CA is driving and exploring the PCH in my buggy on my 50th birthday.

We really enjoyed it too......The Cali coast is really beautiful and there is sooo much to see that we could have done the whole time just on the coast.

Some day we will do a trip down the coast only and take like 3 weeks or more.....with most of the time in California.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Awesome! That was one sweet road!

Nice baking action too by the way!

My wife's question was "Why is his Buggy so quiet?"

"Well dear, it's the turbo that makes it so quiet - should we do that to ours?" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wink
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Awesome! That was one sweet road!

Nice baking action too by the way!

My wife's question was "Why is his Buggy so quiet?"

"Well dear, it's the turbo that makes it so quiet - should we do that to ours?" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wink

It's really not that quiet......It was much quieter with the Supertrapp muffler on. I would prefer it but it won't fit inside the bumper so it had to go.

I never wore earplugs on the trip but I probably should have......

For the cool factor I put the straight pipe back on for the GCVWS, which I went to today........it rained from 10:00 am on so I left at about 1:00 pm and it quit raining about 10 miles from the U.S. border.
The rain pretty well killed the mood at the show and it was quite dead. I never even pulled out the camera.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

We didn't do much for the 2020 season except drive it to work and one 1000 mile trip to the East side of Washington State for our anniversary.
Just east of Roslyn, Wa.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That went really well and I managed to put on 3660 miles for the year even though everything was pretty well shut down with no place to go.

Thoughts for next year are another Long Haul to California. If the Big Bear Manx Meet goes we will go there. The plan this time is to go for 3 weeks and take the coast both ways weather permitting.

I have the buggy apart to check things over and some small upgrades. Not too much is needed but do have an ECU upgrade I might squeeze in and a good check over.

I had some free time so I built a set of Wind Wings to test on our next trip. They are nothing fancy but I don't have too much cash into them but do have a little time spent on them.

From the back.......They are pretty incognito if I can keep them clean and scratch free.

I won't be able to test them until spring. I'll get the buggy back together by April and test once the weather cooperates.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Our year was pretty quiet too. The Findlater event in Saskatchewan was cancelled. We didn't take it to BC due to a transaxle issue. I had planned to do an IRS swap to fix that but the ownership of the parts car came into question so it was later in the summer before that was cleared up. Then I got called to work in BC for the fall.

All I got accomplished on the Buggy was an oil leak behind the flywheel fixed and it looks like it is holding this time. Ya kind of a messed up year. The Buggy sits now until warmer weather as I don't have a heated garage to work in yet.

I like the wind wings! I am thinking of something similar but lower down as in the rain the water tends to come around the hood and lower corner of the windshield and run down your outboard knee. If I could interrupt that airflow path it would make a big difference.

On the earplug issue, yes they are mandatory in our Buggy for a long drive not because of the engine but the wind noise after a while makes your ears ring.
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Clonebug, I just enjoyed reading about you're travels. Thanks for posting you're stories and pics. Great entertainment on a cold Ohio New Years Eve.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Busted Knuckle Garage wrote:
Clonebug, I just enjoyed reading about you're travels. Thanks for posting you're stories and pics. Great entertainment on a cold Ohio New Years Eve.

Thanks for the kind words knuckle........The buggy is a driver and a lot of fun to see the country with.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Clonebug, be careful next time you cruise the Pacific Coast Hwy near Big Sur:

Probably won't get fix'd for quite awhile.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/us/big-sur-road-collapse-trnd/index.html
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Nothing a ramp and WOT won’t fix.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

That won't stop us from going to California......By the way.....it's in the plans for this summer again. I saw that washout the other day and instantly checked the google map for a detour... Wink Laughing Cool
We are going to take 3 weeks this time. We might do the coast both ways but are finding more fun places to see on the Highway 395 section too.
We would really like to see Joshua Tree National Park and Salton Sea then go through Ocotello Wells and Anzo Borrego to the coast.... but not sure if it would be too hot in July. Anybody have any thoughts???

Also wouldn't mind trying to go along the coast from North of San Diego and then travel #1 PCH home if we happen to do 395 to Big Bear on the way down.
It would give us 2 weeks to travel the whole west coast on the way back home.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

The low desert in July is no joke. Temps in the 120s are not uncommon. The coast between LA and Sandy Eggo is likely to be stop and go bumper to bumper.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The low desert in July is no joke. Temps in the 120s are not uncommon. The coast between LA and Sandy Eggo is likely to be stop and go bumper to bumper.

Is the lower coast worth seeing or should we just spend extra time in a few favorite areas north??
In 2019 We went from Big Bear straight west to Ventura and then went up from there.

I was concerned about the desert.....we are not really heat acclimated very well so it is a bit of a shock to the system...We could travel early to stay out of the heat but if it's not safe I would rather go a different route.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

Is the lower coast worth seeing or should we just spend extra time in a few favorite areas north??
In 2019 We went from Big Bear straight west to Ventura and then went up from there.

Dustymojave is exactly right.

The coast south of Ventura is mostly very crowded. I can't think of any geographic landmarks, except maybe Magu Rock which you've seen in lots of car commercials:

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

If you're a surfer, there are lots of beaches famous to surfers between Ventura and San Diego. Some tourists just gotta see Santa Monica and Venice beaches. There are some scenic spots around Malibu, though many of those are privately owned. There are some Spanish Missions Like San Fernando where my wife and I got married (39 years ago!), San Juan Capistrano and Santa Barbara. But along the highways of So Cal, it's mostly developments.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

The countdown continues.....

Our 3 week vacation to California is a go and only a month and a half away.

The buggy engine got a little refresh and cam change to better fit the 1.4 rockers I installed but stayed a 1679. It did have 43,000 hard miles on the bottom end.
It was cheap insurance to go over it..... cheaper than a 200 mile tow.

Plan is to go down 395 with a stop at Crater Lake, Mammoth Lake, Lone Pine, maybe a Mining town southeast of Lone Pine, Whitney Portal and the cool rock formations around Lone Pine where they filmed a lot of movies.
Also Father Crowley's Overlook if it isn't too hot.
Then on to Big Bear Lake for the weekend.......that gives us two full weeks to go up the coast back home.

The Wind Wings seem to be a success and will stay on for the trip. I would say it cuts about 50% of the wind. It's a lot more comfortable especially when you get behind a car or larger truck. The head buffeting is a lot less so the fatigue will be lessened considerably.
For the few bucks I have in them it's worth it.
I redid the luggage rack last year after the rearend hit in 2019 in Mammoth and this spring I added some better hook eyes to be able to strap things to it easier. Need to take some of the comforts of home along........ Wink

Will have a gallon of gas, a few tools, the lightweight camping gear we used on our Sturgis trip.....just in case we can't get a Hotel, a couple chairs, cleaning supplies for the windshield and a few select local microbeers in case one gets thirsty or we need bribing material.
We also have our clothing bags and a small soft ice chest to keep 5 or 6 water bottles in for hydration.

I also added a fire extingisher and mount to the roll bar for safety just in case.

We do look forward to a nice cool hotel room every night....along with a hot meal and cold, cold beverages to quench the thirst after a long eventful day....... Wink

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

I see the words "refresh" and "bottom end", just curious as to what you found and what it needed.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I see the words "refresh" and "bottom end", just curious as to what you found and what it needed.

It was checked over due to the upcoming trip. My builder recommended refreshing it since it was open for inspection.
Over 40 dyno pulls this winter and 43,000 miles along with it's third trip to California.....My builder recommended the refresh. It was too cheap to pass up. It was there for new P/C's and a cam change anyways. I installed a FK-42 cam designed for 1.4 rockers. Same final lift at .522" but slightly more duration and 112 lobe centers.

If it wasn't supporting 26 lbs of boost it would probably been left alone.

Peak hp was at 4800 rpm and peak torque was at 4700 rpm with the W-100 The new cam should move that up a little higher for possibly a higher max hp and torque.

Can't test that since it's going on a long trip...... Crying or Very sad Wink

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

The countdown continues....25 days to launch.

I have the buggy about as ready as I can with 25 days to go. I drive it to work every day the weather is good and keep putting miles on it. I have over 800 miles on it for the season so far, so I'm thinking it's tested and passed for the trip.

Got a fire extinguisher mounted.......

Got rid of my windshield suction phone mount and installed a magnetic one that I bolted to a piece of aluminum and then drilled a small hole in the angle of the dash to mount it. Cleans up the windshield area and I can still easily see the phone through the steering wheel.

Got my luggage rack installed along with a gas can and a couple chairs on the outside and a few essentials on the inside........

It's about as good as it's going to get.....tires are in good shape and it drives like a dream.

Got somewhat of a plan together but the only hotel reservations we made were for the weekend in Big Bear. The rest is however the roads take us.
It should be fun.......We can't wait!!!!!

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Did the engine need an align bore or was it just bearing wear?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Did the engine need an align bore or was it just bearing wear?

Nothing was "needed". It was too cheap to do it since the case was opened for a cam change.
It all cost less than one month car payment.....
Even the cam and lifters were perfect after 43,000 miles along with running 1.4 rockers on a cam designed for only 1.25 rockers....plus single springs with .526" lift.
The cam was changed to extend the power to 5500 rpm if possible in order to increase peak hp since 226 crank hp at 4850 rpm and 255 torque at 4700 rpm isn't enough...... Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

I asked my builder about it because it's always had a little low oil pressure at hot idle like when after climbing a 6% grade for 7 miles. But it was that way for a long time.
It was an uncut case when I first built it....I bought the case at a VW shop auction sitting on a pallet. It was clean enough to build without a line bore.

It was time.......I want dependability when 1500 miles from home. It's peace of mind when traveling through the middle of nowhere in 95 degree weather.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: