Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManxMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

I have searched but unable to determine what the hex bolt on the front of the engine is designed for and how much should it be torque’d. The reason I am asking is it appears to be leaking a small amount of oil on my 1972 1600 and am trying to figure out if I can tighten it further. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

Pretty sure that's a plug for an oil galley. Wait for others to respond, but maybe better to unscrew that and add sealant rather than just trying to tighten it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

That's a plug over the cam gear oil scraper passage.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

Dittos on removing it and adding sealant, IF you try to just tighten it and screw it up, its going to be a real mess...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ManxMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone! Any advice on what type of sealant I should use for this?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

yamabond or three bond would be my choice. i forget the part number tho. maybe others could chime in on that.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

Sometimes they are peened in, (punch mark) grind that peened area out before you try to remove.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ManxMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

Great info everyone, thanks!
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

I say leave that one we'll alone unless your 100 percent sure it's leaking
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

Ive neveer seen one that wood budge. if it does eye wood use 518 on it.
ManxMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob...what is this bolt for on the engine case? Reply with quote

I think I will take @garrick.clark advice and leave good enough alone. I have other leaks that need attention Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: