Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jbwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Hello. Just began our adventure across the US in our 1983 vanagon. She has a 1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5L engine. When we hit Georgia coming from the Cleveland area, we started to have some problems. The engine falls completely on its face when I push down on the gas. We have talked to multiple mechanics and have tried everything. We can get it up to 60 mph on the free way as long as I barely touch the pedal. Additionally, fuel mileage has went down drastically. When we get to about 3000 rpm it sounds like the throttle body is being flooded with fuel. Let the gas pedal off, and it starts to go, kinda.

Thank God for manual shift.

We have tried:

New spark plugs
New coil
New throttle positioning sensor
New fuel pump
Cleaned mass airflow sensor
Fixed vaccum leak that was found by break booster
Cleaned throttle body
Ran a can of seafoam
Unplugged the O2 sensors

Looking for some advice!!
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

when you cleaned the throttle body, did you take a look at the IACV?

do you have an OBDII reader?

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Have you scanned the ECM for fault codes. That should the be first step to diagnosing your problem. It sounds like a possible failed MAF sensor not reading the amount of air entering the intake. Another possibility is that the CAT converter could be plugged causing excessive back pressure. The engine will function ok under light load, but when you step on the gas there is too much exhaust trying to flow through the restriction and the engine bogs down, making lots of noise and little power. A shop should be able to easily perform an exhaust back pressure test through the pre CAT O2S hole.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

I know little more than nothing about Subaru but I'll agree that it sounds like excessive back pressure from a clogged exhaust.

Unbolt the convertor, it will be noisy as all get out but does it have power again?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

An engine needs more fuel to run at 70 mph than say 40. What is the age of the fuel filter and fuel pump? Can you hear the pump running? A fuel pressure test and volume test would be an affordable place to start eliminating the problem.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

sounds like a dirty fuel filter
or
Maybe failing/failed fuel injectors
Rear discs
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

ho-lee-shit

lets stop playing parts darts and throwing stuff at this. lets start to diagnose rather than empty the bank account.

FWIW if you bought an aftermarket coil, get it out of there now. i have yet to see one NOT introduce more problems than it solved.

what are your trouble codes?

running a OBD2 (or any) subaru without o2 feedback is suicide. the ecu defaults to a fail safe mode and runs like epic shit.

lets start with some codes please

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jbwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

I did run an OBD2 and it lead me to the vaccume leak and the throttle positioning sensor. I fixed both of these problems, and nothing changed. Going to run another test here shortly.

We are also going to look into the IACV. Unfamiliar with that.

Catalilac converter has been gutted, and exhausts have been checked for clogs.

Problem with acceleration still.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

when you replaced the TPS did you set it properly?

it's not just screw it on and go. it must be set within a specific voltage range. failure to do so will lead to crap performance

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Fuel pressure test?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help! 1997 Subaru engine problems in my 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
ho-lee-shit

lets stop playing parts darts and throwing stuff at this. lets start to diagnose rather than empty the bank account.

Laughing Laughing

i was gonna vote for wheel bearings. just for fun to add to the list.
maybe dragging ebrake?
or shifter misalignment?

am i helping?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: