Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Wood Panel Templates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

suspencervw wrote:
Hello! I was wondering if someone could possibly tell me if these panels are also the right size for a 1970 Westfalia poptop, and not just '71 and up.
I would be super grateful for any input - I am quite new to this whole rehabbing thing, as well as the vw community in general but am still hoping to start redoing the interior of my bus in the next couple of weeks.
Thank you!

They will fit. However, the long panel down the driver side (where the big table is) will have a different cutout for the shore power connection. I believe yours will be behind the jump seat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to remove the T-channel thing that separates each ceiling panel? I think that they are made from aluminum but I'm afraid to damage them.
Does anyone know if they just snap into the roof's crossbeams or how they are fastened?
Another post mentioned to remove these first before removing the wood.

Thanks
suspencervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Thank you so much @ewdb92

Just waiting on my new wiring harness and then this is next on my list Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

This is fantastic information, and is going to really help me on the interior of my 71 Westy. One question: How thick are these panels?
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Hey All

Garnering interest for one of my creative pivots for 2021

I am planning on CNC'ing Bay Interior Panels

For example, a customer would put in an order for cedar panels or birch and then have them perfectly cut by the computer and delivered to your door

Furthermore, have options for an even more custom laser-cut touch, such as a pattern or quote or etching that can be installed directly on top of the panel

Not trying to hi-jack thread, just trying to gather interest
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

My bus needs wood. I can put it in, in the morning. Morning wood.

Definitely interested.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
This is fantastic information, and is going to really help me on the interior of my 71 Westy. One question: How thick are these panels?

1/8 inch Baltic birch. Just a hair thicker than the originals that were 3mm thick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Just an update/correction for the front ceiling panel. At the front of the panel (the edge that goes near the windshield), I put in a measurement from the edge to the center of the curve. It was slightly off because I inadvertently used a measurement from the edge to a hole someone drilled there.

The real distance should be 63mm from edge to center of the curve, with 126mm across the whole thing (yes, the rear edge is wider as noted in green at the bottom of the pic).

New pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Hi Erik!

Thanks again for providing these dimensions. I managed to get everything cut to shape in the end!

I've only just now managed to find a replacement rear interior lamp, so now I'm cutting the holes in the panel to install it. However, the holes don't seem to quite match up with the parts of the lamp that need to go through them (the vertical measurements).

Is there any chance you could double check the interior lamp hole measurements please, if it's not too much trouble? Smile

This is the panel in question:

ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Hey Ben,
Absolutely. I will try to get to it tomorrow.

Ben Middleton wrote:
Hi Erik!

Thanks again for providing these dimensions. I managed to get everything cut to shape in the end!

I've only just now managed to find a replacement rear interior lamp, so now I'm cutting the holes in the panel to install it. However, the holes don't seem to quite match up with the parts of the lamp that need to go through them (the vertical measurements).

Is there any chance you could double check the interior lamp hole measurements please, if it's not too much trouble? Smile

This is the panel in question:

Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

That would be fantastic! Thanks Smile
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Ok, there were a couple of errors and using Skills' measurement advice, I improved a couple of others. See the below picture for updated info.

Ben: Let me know how it works out this time. And thanks for making me go back over this panel.

Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Thanks Erik! It worked pretty well for me and was much more accurate than the original diagram, but the small holes still didn't quite line up with the lamp screws. I had to file one of the screw holes on the metal a little wider to account for the difference but it's worked well now.

It may be that the holes in the metal are in different positions on every lamp. You could put a warning on the diagram to suggest that people use the holes as a guide for the correct position but use their own lamp to refine the positions of the holes more precisely before cutting.

Thanks again for this wonderful resource Erik. Its been extremely valuable to me and I'm finally finished! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: