Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poptop Condensation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Any tips to minimize condensation? Should we crack the skylight to let the van breath?

Here’s what the last trip looked like with my wife and daughter sleeping upstairs

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

How big is your data set? I’ve only seen my roof like that once when dew point was super high. It’s not Even that bad running a little buddy with me my wife and two dogs. Wonder if there was a Lotta morning fog or anything like that?
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
How big is your data set? I’ve only seen my roof like that once when dew point was super high. It’s not Even that bad running a little buddy with me my wife and two dogs. Wonder if there was a Lotta morning fog or anything like that?

We’ve only camped with the upstairs occupied a handful of times but it’s happened every time. Our family has grown and now we need both top and bottom space. Pictures were from our last trip and it was definitely worse. We were costal but it wasn’t a foggy/wet day by any means.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Yeah, crack a few windows. That amount of moisture looks insane. I live in an arid climate but can get loads of condensation on my windshield if it’s cold out. We usually open the front door vent windows and the skylight.
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Yeah, crack a few windows. That amount of moisture looks insane. I live in an arid climate but can get loads of condensation on my windshield if it’s cold out. We usually open the front door vent windows and the skylight.

Got it. Thanks for the info!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

i live in the humid midwest... with high dew points. whether a tent or westy, one must sleep with ventilation open. in the Westy, keep a bottom window somewhat open and the top vent lifted a skooch. creates a natural draft that removes breath/cooking moisture. and because it's Minnesota, bug screens mandatory.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Shocked

holy crap...that's a lot.

were you sleeping with NO windows/screens open?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Yeah, you need air flow.

Unzip a window up top, unzip more if you have a newer three window canvas.

The other alternative is to give up breathing.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Quote:
The other alternative is to give up breathing.

Don’t tempt skills with that. After his last post about crappy parts I was worried he was out on the Vanagon ledge...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Does the flocking exist on the inside of the pop top or was it removed by someone?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Does the flocking exist on the inside of the pop top or was it removed by someone?

i removed mine. my 71 bay doesn't have it and at the very worst the interior had what i would call morning 'dew' on the pop top and the windshield.

that's why i asked if he had any windows open...never seen a camper rain inside like that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

There was a You Tube video I saw a few yrs. ago where the narrator was showing 2 people inside a small RV could create almost 2 liters of condensation over a weekend. Boring as hell video, but the guy knew his stuff.

Here's some more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjNeXbl1rU

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Flocking is still there but pretty worn.

This was top up. Zippers closed and a little cracked behind the stove. My wife is forever cold so opening more is met with resistance. We are camping this coming weekend and will test opening the van up a bit more.

Thank you all!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Mike760 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Flocking is still there but pretty worn.

This was top up. Zippers closed and a little cracked behind the stove. My wife is forever cold so opening more is met with resistance. We are camping this coming weekend and will test opening the van up a bit more.

Thank you all!
You might want to consider that the inside of your body panels are all soaking wet like that in the morning, too!! The moisture then puddles into the yellow fibreglass and rusts your van out from the inside. Shocked

Open the windows! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Sounds like time for a romantic gift of sleepwear.

Warm fuzzy flannel and a sweat shirt with a hood.

Thick socks too!

Then open up the windows!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

One tip: Do all Hot Yoga outside of the Van.

But seriously, we have previously camped in driving rain in the days when we still had a canvas pop-top tent and never got condensation that bad. It almost looks as though you were boiling a big pot of water on the stove. Was cooking before bedtime the culprit?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Mike760 wrote:
My wife is forever cold so opening more is met with resistance.

consider a CDH or like. I love how mine dries out the van and my wet stuff even in moderate temps.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
One tip: Do all Hot Yoga outside of the Van.

But seriously, we have previously camped in driving rain in the days when we still had a canvas pop-top tent and never got condensation that bad. It almost looks as though you were boiling a big pot of water on the stove. Was cooking before bedtime the culprit?

No cooking prior.

We do have a propex but was not running it that night.
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Mike760 wrote:

consider a CDH or like. I love how mine dries out the van and my wet stuff even in moderate temps.

We have propex and it seems to work okay with our mild temps here is Southern California. Are you leaving an window cracked while winter camping with the heater?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Condensation Reply with quote

Mike760 wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
Mike760 wrote:

We have propex and it seems to work okay with our mild temps here is Southern California. Are you leaving an window cracked while winter camping with the heater?

no

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: