Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Mini-Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The horn was not originally hooked up (they had a bypass ‘button’ horn).

I am trying to hook up the horn properly. Think I have everything except I think there are 2 snap rings that should be attached to hold the bearing and copper piece that I believe goes to the horn. 1 appears to be about 1 ½” OD that goes up to the black piece and 1 that is about ¾” ID that goes around the shaft

I picked up a bunch of sizes at Tractor supply and those sizes seem to be the right size but they aren’t fat enough to stick out of the groove to hold everything together.

Any idea where to get the proper snap rings or make it work some other way?
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113415531
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Awesome. That helps for the lock ring that goes on the shaft. Now I just need a snap ring that goes around the outside. Looks like it should be around 1 3/4" OD. The largest I could find was 1 1/2". Checked Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, 3 auto stores and many online places. Can find it anywhere.

Has to hold the outside of the bearing in place but also go around the notch on the side. If i can get the right side I can work with the notch by modifying it if needed.

diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

this video may help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s02nPu194KM
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

That video did help a lot. I wish I would have seen that sooner. Figured a lot of that out by trial and error and messing some things up.

Still need to find that snap ring. I did take a still pic of what it looks like in the video. And now I understand how it works. Most snap rings are a complete circle. This one is separated where the notch is to accommodate it.

Any help is appreciated.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/front-axle/steering-column-circlip-415-531-113-30740a.html

Is this what you’re looking for?
Or this?
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/steering-shaft-circlip-used-113-415-531/
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

No. Both of those look like the lock ring that go on the shaft itself. (Where the red arrow on the picture below is) What i am looking for is the larger snap ring that goes along the outside to keep the outer part of the bearing/bushing in place.

Those websites do have a lot more parts than the other ones I was looking at so that is helpful just not what i need unfortunately.

I hate that something so small is completely putting me at a standstill here. Like I said previously i have been to Lowes, Tractor supply, Home Depot, Ace Hardware (had the largest selection for future reference), Advance Auto, Napa, Autozone so I am doing my due diligence. Also checked the classified on here and MANY websites for VW parts and parts in general.

I am at a loss.

dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Putting engine back in. Watched a crapload of videos. Got it up and 3 bolts in and the lower driver side stud almost seems like it isn’t long enough. I can see about ½ thread. The engine is tight to the transmission all the way around. The other lower bolt I have like ¾” of threads sticking through. I’m at a loss. Is it possible when we pushed the engine in that a we pushed the stud in n somehow.

Looking for some feedback.

Thank you in advance.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

You could pull engine back far enough to measure studs and compare
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Those studs are removable/replaceable. Possibly it got spun in too far. Can you get it to come out some? Mine were all garfed up so I went to Ace and bought new ones.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

I didn’t realize those start are replaceable so that helped. Took the engine back out and the bolt that was too short I must have accidentally threaded it in when I put it on the engine stand. Took both bolts out cleaned the up and rethreaded them in to the correct place. I Jack the engine up to everything line up perfectly. All 4 bolts are in their location perfectly line up with where they go but now o can’t get the engine to push back far enough to put the nuts on. Didn’t have this trouble last time. It is like it is hitting me n something and won’t allow it to go back far enough.

Any thoughts?
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Here is as far back as it will go.
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Maybe the clutch disk isn't meshing with the input shaft. Try rotating the engine
and see if that helps .
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Tried that. Also jacked it up slightly down slightly. Lifting it up from the back lifting from the front, rocking it. It is like it is hitting something solid that won’t let it go back that last inch.
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Spent about 2-3 hours last night trying to get this engine in. Had all 4 bolts lined up just couldn’t push the engine in the last inch. Tried jacking up slight down slightly, rocking it up and down left and right while pushing it and nothing. It was not moving.

Walked up to it this afternoon. Jiggled it a little and push and it pushed right it. Nothing different than I was doing last night.

It is in but man that is frustrating.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning and maintaining an aircooled VW.
Sometimes walking away for awhile is the key. I don't know why.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Sometimes putting transaxle in 2nd and have the assistant turn rear wheel helps line things up. It also helps to say the word dammit.
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Almost done with the wiring. Having trouble with the new turn signal switch wiring. Seems like the colors really don’t match the diagram I have.

The last wires I have to install are:
Solid black
Red with black stripe
Blue with black stripe
Gray

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Almost done with the wiring. Having trouble with the new turn signal switch wiring. Seems like the colors really don’t match the diagram I have.

The last wires I have to install are:
Solid black
Red with black stripe
Blue with black stripe
Gray

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Almost to the finish line. Putting the tin back on and the heater tubes aren’t anywhere close to the hole in the tin where it would connect to the hose.

I don’t see where there are really much adjustment. It slides a little back and forth but not anywhere close to where I need it. The other side is pretty close o can make that worth.

Any recommendations?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: