Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fading into the sunset, thanks for all the fish...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fading into the sunset, thanks for all the fish... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I haven’t followed this , is this true now? It makes total sense given the two holdouts on the metric system...the USA and Yemen

Yeah no automaker these days uses SAE hardware anymore. Just easier to go to metric what with the global supply chain.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fading into the sunset, thanks for all the fish... Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I haven’t followed this , is this true now? It makes total sense given the two holdouts on the metric system...the USA and Yemen

Yeah no automaker these days uses SAE hardware anymore. Just easier to go to metric what with the global supply chain.

The Chevette was the USA’s 1st all metric car (there were a few exceptions). Every new car design launched after 1976 in the USA was metric.

Note, this way-way before global sourcing. And there are plenty of imperial size fasteners made overseas and shipped here. Metric or inch doesn’t really matter to the fastener producer, they will build what’s on the print.

I prefer metric, mainly because I’m tied to the auto industry primarily, and it’s a bit easier system.

The electronic industry is primarily metric and now a lot of appliances and other industries, as well.
I wouldn’t hold my breath on the construction field, at least residential, changing to metric anytime soon.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fading into the sunset, thanks for all the fish... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

xooOOoox, what the status on Jeff’s old van now?

My educated guess is that this is the new owner, I could be wrong but........

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=502393

Dave[/quote]

Your spidy senses are accurate, Dave. I just got 'er home. I hope the forum is ready for some entirely basic questions.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fading into the sunset, thanks for all the fish... Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams . Nice send-off.

If you were referring to his ‘89 that burned, I’ve been enjoying it since I fixed it last year. It now has a 1.8t with 5 speed Passat transmission. I replaced the cabinets with ones from an ‘81. It’s currently being packed up for a much anticipated getaway to Letchworth State Park with a few other mostly VW guys.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fading into the sunset, thanks for all the fish... Reply with quote

Before you go you have to show interior pics of that T4 wannabe! 😁

All the best on your future life!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fading into the sunset, thanks for all the fish... Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams . Nice send-off.

If you were referring to his ‘89 that burned, I’ve been enjoying it since I fixed it last year. It now has a 1.8t with 5 speed Passat transmission. I replaced the cabinets with ones from an ‘81. It’s currently being packed up for a much anticipated getaway to Letchworth State Park with a few other mostly VW guys.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great waterfalls in Letchworth State Park and the train bridge looked interesting- just needs a steam train!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: