Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

I bought a green label ignition coil last year as a spare. As I want to go for some more long distance trips I've been thinking I should go ahead and swap in the new one as preventive maintenance. The one on my '86 Westy looks to be the original. Should I go ahead and replace the coil, or just keep the new one in the van as a spare for that unforeseen day the original gives up the ghost?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Install the new one to make sure it's working, then keep the old one under the bench seat with your other spare parts...

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Install the new one to make sure it's working, then keep the old one under the bench seat with your other spare parts...

Cool

- Dave

that's exactly what i've done. had a NOS coil, installed that and travel with my working takeout as the spare. figured might get a shade more reliability running with the new coil. if the new coil is just kept as a spare without testing, it MAY have issues so best to put it in service, prove it & leave it, and travel with the old one as a spare.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Or you can try the new coil to confirm it works then store it as the spare.

This is the easiest route as there is no need to install the coil to try it -- just secure it near enough to the existing coil (bungees, Velcro strap, what have you) that the wires can be moved to it for the test.

On my other long-distance vehicle I went so far as to mount the spare coil such that I can switch over to it without any wrenching - just move the wires. This was common practice on the Le Mans cars back in the day.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
This is the easiest route as there is no need to install the coil to try it -- just secure it near enough to the existing coil (bungees, Velcro strap, what have you) that the wires can be moved to it for the test.

I replaced mine recently as a preventive measure. After working in that engine compartment I'd recommend if going to the trouble of setting up for that test, just replace the damn thing.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Ya, the bracket is an awful joy to try to put back together... I am very sure there is some ingenious method, but putting mine back in was a two hour curse fest.

Its like the guy who came up with the design meant for it to be hard, or something.

Wasn't there a thread about using a Beetle or KG coil bracket somewhere? I'd pay a few more bucks and find one for the next time I want to take my coil bracket off.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

That is a bitch putting the coil on. I ran bolts through from the outside so now I have studs to just slide on and use nuts to fasten it. Try it you’ll like it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Replaced the coil today. Yep, for something that looks simple it was a pain to remove and replace. I could not get a screwdriver or anything on the nut for the screw clamping the coil into the bracket, so the two bolts holding the brackets on the van had to come out.

A difference between the OEM coil and the new Bosch green label coil was the difference in the negative side metal tabs. The part bolted to the negative post is around 2mm or so longer on the part that bolts to the post than the new Bosch, and that makes putting the big electrical plug with the green wires back on a no-go frustration effort. Swapped the OEM part to the new Bosch, and the plug fit on just fine.

After putzing around with trying to get the bracket on I discovered it was best to start with the top bolt first. I also used a flex 3/8" extension after the failed efforts on the top bolt with my assortment of wobble extensions and a u-joint.

I took the van for my 18 mile test drive circuit. It's a bit too soon to dial in a positive report just yet, but it did seem to run better, and smoother at the higher speeds on the Interstate section of the test route.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
That is a bitch putting the coil on. I ran bolts through from the outside so now I have studs to just slide on and use nuts to fasten it. Try it you’ll like it.

Stacy

Just did a coil today and it sucked
I am totally stealing this idea

Also what is the deal with everyone being out of stock on the Bosch coils?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
Also what is the deal with everyone being out of stock on the Bosch coils?

yeah, i've bought a couple ahead finding NOS coils on eBay. it really is important to get the correct coil, too. the wrong resistance/impedance has been known to throw the ECU into fits causing misfires. here's a chart of Bosch part numbers for coils.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Whew! Thanks for the reminder!! I replaced a coil on my '86 Westy over the weekend, and ordered another new one with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly. Should be in today, so I'll go pick it up!! I bought two from O'Reilly last Summer, and used one on my '87 since then, I've found it to be decent. Thus I felt okay putting the second one in the '86.

Stacy, yes I agree on the bolt from the back side! I did not use that trick this time, but had mulled it over since you replied to this thread back a couple years now. I was able to not drop my new one, and get it installed in about 30 minutes with the help of a longer bolt to hold the bottom in first. Then, I chopped a bit of a pencil (orange color stub) and put that in my socket to keep the top bolt from slipping down into the socket. Also, I put the tip of a shop glove over the end of the socket and then inserted the bolt, which firmly held it in place. After those thinky bits, it was a snap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Do all the folks having epics replacing the coil have AC?

I did not find it particularly difficult but we do not have AC in the way.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Install the best one, store the old one as a spare. why run daily with an old possibly worn and shorted coil?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

2000% this. having a known working coil can save a week long adventure. also adding an alternator voltage regulator to your box of spares is highly encouraged.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

If looking at Voltage regulator, keep this one in mind:

240turbo.com, look for voltage regulators... direct link below (no affiliation, just a fan)

https://www.prancingmoose.com/AdjustableVoltage.html#external

I have been impressed.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

Heading to the White Mountains this weekend, and the van died suddenly at an intersection, minutes away from my intended campsite. Tried to restart it a couple of times, and then VROOM it started and I made it to the site. PHEW. Cooked dinner, relaxed and then began to think....slept on it, and in the am, I checked fuel pump and fuel line T, which had fuel. Then I thought ignition coil and I grabbed my spare, which is an older Bosch green label. Popped that in and Voila I was back in business. So glad I had listened to you folks - I had probably read this thread before as well as others suggesting carrying an extra coil. So satisfying to fix something on the road and not have the trip ruined.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: To Replace, Or Not To Replace The Ignition Coil? Reply with quote

The factory coils are pretty danged dependable. I would not replace one unless it was giving signs of failing. I ran the stock one on my '91 until I did a Subaru swap at ~250K miles and then put the old coil onto my 83 1/2, where it still resides many years later. I might do a temporary install to test a spare coil, but I would then remove it and keep it for the spare.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: