Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 21 and under club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

my sister is a nut,I have the same fliperflopers, as for breathing all that stuff over the past59+ years....shit...is that wahts rong with me??and I thought it was the agent orange I played in as a kid daily in the USAF chemical dump..on kadena air base.....also known as kadena middle school.( they built the school on top of it 4 years befor I get there.....splains a lot, donut.
I do know a 80 year old guy thats sprayed his hands clean with breakleen probably since that came out with it. 23 stints, 4 bypasses, nomore veins to use for bypasses.experamentail stints,knees bad, no feeling in leggs,sholders dead, neck dead... daily he still runs his 1 man machine shop/ engine building trans building and drive shaft shop.....waiting for death to finaly win. and building a new racecar. among other things,.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
My son would dearly like to restore and drive the '69 Bus I have that his Grandfather (my Dad) bought new but - and this I believe is one of the universal problems for young guys - the little bit of money he does make at entry level wages dictates a more practical approach to life. He needs money for work clothes and tools, rent, grub, saving for further education etc. There is little room for a car hobby in his life!

By the time he is in a position to restore this old Bus it will be long gone either from rust or sold before it rusts away.

When I was his age I ran a Beetle as a daily driver but they, for reasons of practicality are not a good choice for that now. Distances, speed travelled, parts availability and durability expectations are so different now than they were in my youth. You can get a $1500 used car these days that will out perform, out last and be safer on the road than a VW ever was. This doesn't only apply to VWs but to must older cars as well.

I admire and want to encourage any young person who has room in their life for these cars. So many don't.

I can say that this is very true. You have to be in the right spot at the right time with cash. Or the friend deal. I started with old beetles and buses when I was 13/14 years old. Went to car shows and hitched rides with the old guys. When we could finally drive we would hit up all the VW shows. We were young. that was back in 2004/2005 ish. Having a hobby car when minimum wage was like $7.00 an hour meant we had to work our tails off. We would go to car shows after work. Bring pizza and then leave early to go work nights. We drove to trailbash one year, did the bash, drained the oil in J.Dot yard and drove back to mass for our 10pm shift. The extra $2.50 an hour made it a priority. Plus we had to pay rent, buy food, clothes, insurance, gas....It wasn't easy. Now I'm 32. Sold my bus to buy a house. It took years! Cars come and go but the relationships last forever. Those in the car hobby and those that are not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

Steel toes suck... change my mind. Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Steel toes suck... change my mind. Laughing
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

Thought I’d give this a bump and see if there are any newcomers Smile
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

I was reborn through Christ since I last posted and im still under 21 Laughing add me to the list Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

You can come back again after you sell your soul to the Devil for some decent NOS parts

By the way, when the old timers tell you how hard it was starting out , it’s bull$hit. Minimum wage buying power peaked at 1968, and its the lowest its ever been. If the old timers were Depressionera kids, the poverty stories are real, after that, it’s just old-wanking.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

I'm 35 but it seems like yesterday that I was one of the "kids" in the VW scene. I need to tell my buddy's son to get on here. He just turned 16 and has been working on old cars since he was about 10 or so. He's rebuilding a 1600 for his dad's Bus and working on his 65 Beetle now. He's a mechanical genius and super passionate about old cars.

Just a word of advice, when a fellow VW guy in his 30's comes up to you and starts a conversation, don't call him sir. He probably still sees himself as on your level. Happened to me at a cars and coffee event and I felt like I was about 100 Laughing

And to touch on something else someone said, try to soak up as many stories from old VW owners as you can. They won't be around forever. My great aunt bought a Beetle new in 1958 and I'm glad I asked her about it, why she chose a VW back then and all because recently she's declined mentally and doesn't know who I am or who she is some of the time.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

Hey nice to see a thread like this! I'm 19, so count me in!

I got my first VW in the form of a '61 ragtop beetle with Herbie decals for my 13th birthday. My dad has always been into VW's and the plan was to have the project done by my 16th. It was running and driving and really only needed wiring work and some interior touches. I loved that beetle very much but by my 17th birthday, I had fallen in love with the '71 bus my dad had.

So, for my 17th birthday, I traded the bug for the bus (which my dad was planning to sell) and he sold the beetle instead. Now it's been 2.5 years and this bus is my favorite thing of all time.

This was my Herbie in 2018:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is my pride and joy, Juliett:

And to wrap up my post, here's a picture of a recent camping trip I took with my dad and his '60 bus:

LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

I'm 26. Got my 1980 westy 5 or 6 years ago. Sat for most of that time until recently. Finished college and moved back home. Dad lives in the country on the family dairy with a shop in the back so working on it is much easier here than in town.
I can go to him for some help but he reiterates hes never worked on a VW after he gives me any information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Hey nice to see a thread like this! I'm 19, so count me in!

I got my first VW in the form of a '61 ragtop beetle with Herbie decals for my 13th birthday. My dad has always been into VW's and the plan was to have the project done by my 16th. It was running and driving and really only needed wiring work and some interior touches. I loved that beetle very much but by my 17th birthday, I had fallen in love with the '71 bus my dad had.

So, for my 17th birthday, I traded the bug for the bus (which my dad was planning to sell) and he sold the beetle instead. Now it's been 2.5 years and this bus is my favorite thing of all time.

This was my Herbie in 2018:

And here is my pride and joy, Juliett:

And to wrap up my post, here's a picture of a recent camping trip I took with my dad and his '60 bus:

There you go! It's an age thing - at my stage of life I am doing it the other way around, sold my Bay Window and am fixing up a Manx copy. More interested in a fun car than a "shaggin' wagon"!

Enjoy your youth!
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: The 21 and under club Reply with quote

My club membership is almost up! I had a 3 bus campout with my dad and a friend for my 20th birthday. I got some great pictures I'll probably post up in my bus thread "tomorrow". It's 1am here, time for bed haha
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: