Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose Reply with quote

I have a spare split window Popes nose that has the rivets removed and I would like to source rivets to attach the inner structure to the skin.
Can a direct replacement or close facsimile be used? I would like to make this whole to combine with my deck lid.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose Reply with quote

in this thread virtanen says he has rivets...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9019643&sid=6f1833288c9d589926df8bdb30a6daf0

http://restorationpanels.com/

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose Reply with quote

Nice thanks for the tip
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose Reply with quote

I might have some brass brads that I have used as rivets before.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose Reply with quote

Were the originals brass or aluminum ? If I cannot source any I may checkout what you have .
Thanks
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose Reply with quote

Pretty sure they were aluminum. You can probably find aluminum ones. I have made many a rivet with nail stock, sometimes spinning it in the drill press and shaping the head with a file or Dremel.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sourcing rivets for a split window Pope's nose Reply with quote

Have you looked into rivets used for aircraft?
AN470 are domed
AN426 are countersunk.
They are SAE sized, no metric dimensions.
You can get them in soft aluminum. Strong enough to probably do what you need. Stronger alloys are available too.

Cheers,
Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: