Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Warning Light
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsilverman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently finished my new wiring harness on my 1970 Bus. Brake warning light is now on whenever the ignition is on. Is this more likely to be an actual problem with my brake system? Or something I screwed up in the wiring?

Thanks,
Larry
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

The only actual brake problem that could cause that would be a stuck-on brake light switch.
Assuming you have stock system with 2 3-terminal brake light switches.
The only unambiguous part of the '70 wiring diagram is at the warning light in the dash.
There, brown ground wire connects to middle terminal, which is part of removable bulb holder.
Black wire (switched power from ignition switch) goes to terminal 15 on warning light.
Red wire from switches at m/c goes to terminal K on warning light.
The terminal labels are tiny as can be, but they are there.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Low fluid in the reservoir triggers the light....or do you mean emergency brake lite.?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Low fluid in the reservoir triggers the light....or do you mean emergency brake lite.?

There's no brake fluid level sensor in a '70 vw bus, nor an emergency brake light.
In fact, any turn-on of the brake warning light normally requires pressure to be developed in the m/c, so never
just from turning on the ignition switch, unless one of the switches is defective.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Remove your warning module and send it to Telford Dorr. You’ll get a good one back in return mail
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Hi
Recently, the brake warning light in my 73, is on all the time.( Engine running)
Checked grounds, checked connections to the MC, and warning light, no fluid leaks, alt. charging normally, all other lights function normally.
Brakes work normally.
Is the above advice from Aeromech my next step?
A quick search of several sellers turned up blank for these.
Can I drive without the light as may be?
Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Try unplugging one of the brake light switches, if that does nothing plug it back in and unplug the other.

Exclamation This assumes you have confirmed both front and rear hydraulic circuits are actually funtional. Exclamation

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

BD
I just tried this, and there is no change. Light on dash still glows.
This happened on a re-start, half way through a 100 mile drive.
Brakes and brake lights work as they should.
I am not real clear on how the warning light works. But it sounds like the units go bad. Mine is 50 years and 24 days old @.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
This happened on a re-start, half way through a 100 mile drive.

Does the charge light in the fuel gauge work?, and the oil light too?, sounds to me like it's constantly self testing, is the bus getting harder to start?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

All dash lights work as they should. Checked alt. voltage at the battery, all good.
Starting bus is no problem, lights right up at the turn of the key.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

here's whats inside your brake warning light:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, there's not much to it. When the brake switches apply 12 volts to the 'K' terminal, the light illuminates. When you press the indicator, an internal switch sends 12 volts from the 15 terminal to the light and it illuminates. The diode D1 prevents power from pressing the indicator from backfeeding to the brake switches, and causing the brake lights to illuminate.

If you were to swap the 'K' and 15 wires, the indicator would light all the time, so check for this.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Thank you!

I am looking at my warning light. Part #113 919 233 B, four wires. Late,9-73 bus. No "push to test"

61-blue
31- brown- grd
15- black- 12v
K-red
That seems correct according to the w. diagram.

Module is in good shape, wire connections look good.
With a diode, current passes in one direction. Correct?
So, a test light should turn on one way, but not the other?
Could this be the issue?
Which two terminals on my light should I check? Is that the right way to do it?

Again, this problem just started recently. Warning light on (with ignition on ) all the time. All else appears normal.
The OP was the only post( I searched ) I saw that the light was on all the time. Aeromech suggested you rebuild these. Still the case?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Here's your indicator:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a little different than the previous indicator: the center pin (15) is 12 volts from the ignition switch fuses instead of ground; ground is pin 31. The 'K' terminal goes to the brake light switches. When it has 12 volts applied, the transistor turns on, illuminating the light. Pin 61 goes to the parking brake switch. When it is grounded, diode D2 turns on the light. Diode D1 tries to protect the transistor if you hook it up wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Ok
But my bus doesn't have a parking brake switch.
What should I check next?

Thank you!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

- Make sure that there's no connection to the indicator 61 terminal. If there is, remove it and see if the problem goes away.

- Unplug the 'K' wire. If the light stays on, the problem is the indicator (which is repairable). Otherwise, it's in the brake switches or wiring from them.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Hi
The blue wire in my bus goes to the blue wire at the VR. I unplugged it at the indicator and light stays on. I have a fuel pump relay wired to the blue at the VR, unplugged the relay, and indicator light stays on.
Checked voltage on K ,and got zero. Unplugged K and light stays on
Checked voltage at 15, black, and got 14.4 running.
I will add that when the key is turned to on, warning light shines bright. When engine is running light glows dimmer.

So is the indicator bad?

Thank you!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
The blue wire in my bus goes to the blue wire at the VR.

OK, that makes sense. This would light the indicator when the key was on but the engine not running (sort of an indicator bulb check function).

Quote:
Checked voltage on K, and got zero.

That's normal and expected.

Quote:
I will add that when the key is turned to on, warning light shines bright. When engine is running light glows dimmer.

So is the indicator bad?

Check the voltage on the blue (61) wire and on the black (15) with the engine running. They should be (roughly) the same. Otherwise, sounds like (best guess) the diode D1 has failed. It can be replaced with a general purpose 1N4148 diode.
Yes, I can rebuild it.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

I will check the voltage at the blue wire and see how it compares to the black.

I looked for these units at several retailers, a quick search found none. Are these available new? " Brake warning light" -what else would it be called?
I think

If I pull the indicator and send it to you, can I still drive the bus? Mask off the loose wire ends with tape?

Do we contact you through your website?

Thanks for helping( us all ) out! I admit I'm not good at electrical,(or computers), but I have a little more understanding of this.

Another question: Can you explain how this light detects a brake problem? If, say, a rubber brake hose fails, and there is a pressure loss when the brakes are applied. How does the light know that?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Another question: Can you explain how this light detects a brake problem? If, say, a rubber brake hose fails, and there is a pressure loss when the brakes are applied. How does the light know that?

The 'third' (center) tab on each of the two brake switches are tied together. If one brake switch gets pressure and the other doesn't (leak in the front or rear) the difference in pressure will trigger the light. If both switches get pressure, no light.

But if both switches get no pressure, no light AND no brakes!

Most people live without a working warning light because anyone who drives their bus enough learns what the brakes feel like, and you'll notice the feel change before the light turns on USUALLY.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Warning Light Reply with quote

Yes, you can still drive the bus. Just position/insulate the wires so they can't short to anything.
For repair, send me a PM.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: