Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible rear window seal installation
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod78vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Convertible rear window seal installation Reply with quote

Hello & thanks to all who contribute on these forums & topics.
I need help trying to figure out how to install the rear windiw seal on my 1972 Convertible. I know it goes on top side of frame, but not sure if there is a specific way to install.
I've searched here & other places & cannot find the info.
If someone can either explain the installation or suggest where to look, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again
Rodney
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible rear window seal installation Reply with quote

rod78vw wrote:
Hello & thanks to all who contribute on these forums & topics.
I need help trying to figure out how to install the rear windiw seal on my 1972 Convertible. I know it goes on top side of frame, but not sure if there is a specific way to install.
I've searched here & other places & cannot find the info.
If someone can either explain the installation or suggest where to look, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again
Rodney

There’s a thread in this forum, I read it and decided to just use my old one which is intact thankfully. Basically it sounded like you have to gently separate the metal frame from the glass and then I remove the rubber and then insert the new one. The metal is way thin and if you distort it it will cause leaks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
rod78vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible rear window seal installation Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
I should've stated that I separated the frame from the window, & that its all apart. Window cleaned, frame painted & ready for assembly.
My problem is the old seal was trashed & pretty much completely missing. I don't know which way the new seal sits in between retainer and glass. This is why I'm asking for instructions or pictures of installation process.
I've searched a ton of threads here, & have seen the videos of Greg's Garage, but I can't make out his glass & seal.
I doubt I've seen EVERY thread so I'll look if anyone can point me in its direction
Thanks again
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible rear window seal installation Reply with quote

Hello Rodney.

Hope these pics will help you a little bit. As you can see the seal goes
on top of the window and ends with an angled cut. The water that find its way thrue the seal that surrounds
the hole in the top collects in the channel (on the bottom of the window frame)
and thrue the draining tubes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod78vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible rear window seal installation Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.
OK this helps. Now I can see how it fits into retainer. Makes sense when u can actually see what was there & how it was put on. I basically had nothing there, which was adding to my confusion Brick wall
I appreciate the pics & help
Thank you
Rodney
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: