Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter failed?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Ok so I have a genuine bosch starter rebuilt professionally a few year back. I have been using it on the test stand to fire up my engine and it was working until now. Currently, I hit the start button and literally nothing happens, no sound or movement of any sort. Checked my switches and wiring with a multimeter and am good on that.

Couple facts:

- Right after the moment when it seemingly failed I touched the starter and it was hot to the touch.

- When I take big screwdriver and short both posts on the bendix drive/solenoid the starter WILL SPIN but it does NOT kick out and engage the flywheel.

Is this easily fixable or is the starter done pretty much? I tried a hammer already...

....of course this would happen in the middle of trying to work out tuning issues... lol Brick wall
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Seems like it bit the dust. Oriellys sells a remanufactured one meant for auto stick that does not need a bushing in bell housing. It is $54 and they have lifetime warranty on those things. I bought one for my test engine stand and it seems solid. Even if it dies, they will give you another under warranty.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

I'll planning to put whatever new one I buy back on my car. Would the cheaper auto trans one work for a 1967 beetle manual trans?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

The solenoid's job is twofold: kick the starter gear outward to mesh with the flywheel/flexplate, and to connect two internal heavy duty contacts which sends power to the starter motor so it'll rotate. Since your starter motor will spin when you bridge the two heavy external terminals on the solenoid and the bendix doesn't kick out, we can safely say the solenoid's toast. You can either replace just the solenoid or swap out the entire starter.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Check the braided strap between the solenoid and the starter. If that is ok you can always remove the solenoid and clean the contact areas and resolder
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531782&highlight=solenoid+rebuild+solder

Make sure you are getting full voltage to the starter first though!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

always check power supply first Wink battery terminals
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I'll planning to put whatever new one I buy back on my car. Would the cheaper auto trans one work for a 1967 beetle manual trans?

To answer that question, yes it will.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Have you tried tapping the starter and solenoid while trying to start
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

As an update I got a second bosch remanufactured unit and must have got unlucky because that one failed too. Only lasted half a day, the first one just flat out died. The problem with the newer one is it won't stop cranking even after you turn the switch off. Only way to stop it is pulling off battery ground.

So basically two starters failed back to back. Both the original starters would crank my brand new 9.5CR 2180cc very slowly. They would work but it sounded like it was working very hard.

Therefor I bought a IMI-101N high torque starter. I was only going to get the plain 101 model but I found a local shop who only had this left in stock and gave me a great deal. Plus they are local and open yesterday.

Haven't had time to try it yet but I'm hoping it will crank I faster and at least not die on me like the last two have.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Sun May 16, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

I really like the autostick starters. They are a bit bigger than the normal non-self supporting starters. IDK if they have a higher crank power, but it seems to me it does. The other great benefit is you don't have to worry about the stupid bushing in the bellhousing.

Oh, and you can actually test it out of the car without damaging it.

I got one at AutoZone like 10 years ago for around 35-40 bucks. Works a treat.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I really like the autostick starters. They are a bit bigger than the normal non-self supporting starters. IDK if they have a higher crank power, but it seems to me it does. The other great benefit is you don't have to worry about the stupid bushing in the bellhousing.

Ya funny thing, the second one that failed (the one that just keeps cranking on endlessly) will actually work properly on the bench when tested. It only runs on when under load.

Ya I was thinking about trying that one but just bit the bullet and got this IMI one. Its supposedly very powerful and also uses less battery. It is self supporting as well so no bushing either
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

If the IMI fails. You better have a good look at how you are using the starters on you test stand.

A few years ago I killed 6 timing lights. Shocked This was based on electrical connection procedures recommended here.
I ran a stand alone battery to power the light. And haven't burned one out since!

Moral of the story is, Check your stuff and make damn sure that you are using it in the safest manner possible.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

Does this one look like the self supporting starter you have? Ive been tempted to try one out.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjrs...amp;adurl=

This is slightly off topic, but how many cranking amps should be running for a 12v stock compression 1600? I have a 800 or 900 and something amp battery. will i burn the starter with that much power?

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

The possibily that I screwed up wiring or maybe had a switch fail occered to me, but I've already checked all that and also wire up the failed starters separately on the bench and also with separate direct wiring to it.

Basically it sounds bad, lol. But after a process of elimination I'm sure that the two starters failing was not due to anything I did or the wiring.

Also the clarify stock starters did work fine (when the were functioning) but they just cranked my new higher compression a bit slow for my liking.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Quote:
I really like the autostick starters. They are a bit bigger than the normal non-self supporting starters. IDK if they have a higher crank power
I do remember a difference, and just confirmed it in my 1971 "Without Guesswork" technical specs booklet: Manual trans: 0.7 hp; auto trans 0.8 hp. The A/T starter also has a slightly different sound when it's cranking.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

This IMI starter has 2HP apparently

Last edited by evanfrucht on Sun May 16, 2021 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
[

Does this one look like the self supporting starter you have? Ive been tempted to try one out.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjrs...amp;adurl=

This is slightly off topic, but how many cranking amps should be running for a 12v stock compression 1600? I have a 800 or 900 and something amp battery. will i burn the starter with that much power?

thanks

That’s the same starter I got from oriellys for about $10 more but with a lifetime warranty and, of course, no shipping.

No matter how many CCAs your battery has, the starter or any other device will only draw what it needs. It I will not burn out. The only time a device will draw more than what it needs is if it is shorted. Think about it it like this, you have 0.25 amps led light bulbs on 15 or 20 am circuits in your home. They don’t burn out. They only draw what they need.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

thanks for the info! so i guess the better question is, how many cranking amps does my starter need?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

The solenoid will draw upto 30 amps and the starter motor will draw upto 300 to 350 or so amps under load.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter failed? Reply with quote

sweet. thanks!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: