Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New To Me Type3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to make a little difference in look...and make me want to take those KYBs off the front Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by JohnJohn on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnJohn wrote:
joey1320 wrote:
That is one beautiful squareback you got there. Those wheels look super cleeeaaaaannn!!!
I would go two/one combo on the suspension, that's the plan for my rust bucket lol.

Keep the pics coming, loving the wagon Smile

Btw, your R60 CountryMan will burn the clutch if you are not careful, those are really sensitive. Also the oil pump solenoid has been known to leak oil, which can cause a wiring failure. Last thing, keep an ear out for the engine cooling fan, it's ok if it runs up to 10min cooling the engine after shutting it off, but not longer than that. If it runs much longer you can have an issue with the thermostat or the engine temp sensor. Nice car btw, those are fun Smile

Joey, the R60 is in right now, trying to get MINIUSA to replace the '12 clutch with the new '13 clutch pack. Had an R53 and R55 before. Here is that car.

and the build thread: http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23218

Nice build!
While they are there, you might as well pay for a rear main seal to get installed. Also keep an ear out for a light clicking/swooshing noise while moving. We have had a few front wheel bearing housings crack.
JohnJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Nice build!

While they are there, you might as well pay for a rear main seal to get installed. Also keep an ear out for a light clicking/swooshing noise while moving. We have had a few front wheel bearing housings crack.

after the R55 turbo went out and I bought this car I extended the bumper to bumper to 100k. It's only got 16k on it right now.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnJohn wrote:
joey1320 wrote:
Nice build!

after the R55 turbo went out and I bought this car I extended the bumper to bumper to 100k. It's only got 16k on it right now.

The main issues with the N14/18 engines is the oil consumption. BMW says 1qt per 750miles is perfectly normal. Check the oil twice a month and change it every 7.5k miles.

As far as the rear main seal, they wouldn't just replace it, even when doing a clutch, so it's up to you if you want to pay for the extra repair. One thing to note, it will be the cheapest rear main seal you ever pay for in your life Smile

Back to the vw, that's a beauty!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnJohn wrote:
That's going to make a little difference in look...and make me want to take those KYBs off the front Wink

If the KYB's are gas shocks, you'll want to swap them to an oil shock anyway (it'll ride a lot nicer). I use lowered link pin bug shocks, in the oil style, versus the gas charged. Make sure you re-set the tire pressures (see the glove box sticker for recommendations, or do a search of the forum), as that can affect how the car rides and handles too. Shocked

Yes, the tire size WILL change the speedo reading, however, IF you use the GPS app while you're driving, you can find out how close/or off, the existing unit is with the "correct sized" tires. Most of us wait until after we've done the change, so we know what our reading is with the given tire.

The chart you gave above assumes that the speedo reading is "on the nose" right now, but most read a little fast to keep you from getting a ticket. When you go to the smaller diameter tire, it'll actually get pretty close some times.
The speedo in my old 71 Notch was like this, in that it read slow with the stock sized tire, but right on the money with a 195-60-15 combo. Shocked My 65 Notch was the opposite, in that it read fast with the larger tire size, and even faster with the 195-60 combo. That's why I suggested using the GPS app after you make the change, to "re-calibrate" your speedo. Then you'll know what the "real world" reading is. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
JohnJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an automatic...no need to worry about speeding really. Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnJohn wrote:
It's an automatic...no need to worry about speeding really. Very Happy

You haven't caravaned with Jim Adney going to an Invasion, have you? Wink They'll run 80mph or more with no trouble. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
JohnJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Type3 Reply with quote

It's only been 8 years and I'm finally putting this back together.

What the heck is this part and where does it go?

69 Square Auto

lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Type3 Reply with quote

JohnJohn wrote:
It's only been 8 years and I'm finally putting this back together.

What the heck is this part and where does it go?

69 Square Auto

That goes in the door. It's kind of a theft inhibitor and I think it also guides the back edge of the window when its being rolled down. Where in Austin do you live?

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
JohnJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Type3 Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:

That goes in the door. It's kind of a theft inhibitor. Not sure that it serves any other purpose than that. Where in Austin are you?

Thanks!

I'm in Leander.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Type3 Reply with quote

JohnJohn wrote:
lawn ninja wrote:

That goes in the door. It's kind of a theft inhibitor. Not sure that it serves any other purpose than that. Where in Austin are you?

Thanks!

I'm in Leander.

Nice. I'm over in Round Rock, right on the Georgetown border.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Type3 Reply with quote

JohnJohn wrote:
lawn ninja wrote:

Thanks!

I'm in Leander.

Covers the lock and door mechanisch but also holds the felt channel for the back of the door, inside glass regulator.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Type3 Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:
That goes in the door. It's kind of a theft inhibitor and I think it also guides the back edge of the window when its being rolled down. Where in Austin do you live?

Thank for calling it a theft inhibitor! That really helped me get it back in and help me figure out the angle I had to use to get it in as well. It went in pretty easy thinking that is had to cover something… not easy but easier.
JohnJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Type3 Reply with quote

Took back the 1” of rear leg room that the VW marketing team gave us in 1969.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: