Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Shifting Issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone can help me out in regards to issues I am having with shifting between all gears. Wondering where to start...all gears shift fine when the vehicle is off. I’ve replaced the quick things shift rod bushing and coupling

-Hardest to shift in to first
-Reverse works well and lockout plate holds
-When down shifting have to go through gears in reverse 4-3-2 cannot go from 4-2 if needed or 4 to stop and start in 1. Need to stop and then shift through 4-3-2-1 and as stated typically have a hard time shifting into 1 need lots of force on the shifter to pop in.

There’s no grinding between any gears and I do think it’s the clutch? As once I get it to pop into gear there’s no slipping.

Any ideas?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

1st gear is not synchronized, you are supposed to be at a dead stop when starting off.

As an old school mechanic once commented, replacing a clutch is way more work than brakes, so why downshift to stop?

4th to 2nd? At what speed are you attempting this? Do you pay attention to the hash marks on the speedometer that indicate shift points?

Have you checked the oil level in the transmission? Free play in the clutch?
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
1st gear is not synchronized, you are supposed to be at a dead stop when starting off.

As an old school mechanic once commented, replacing a clutch is way more work than brakes, so why downshift to stop?

4th to 2nd? At what speed are you attempting this? Do you pay attention to the hash marks on the speedometer that indicate shift points?

Have you checked the oil level in the transmission? Free play in the clutch?

Thanks for the response.

As far as first gear it’s hard to get into while even at a dead stop.

Hash marks are paid attention when shifting. When I say 4th to 2nd it’s when going at speed down hill to a turn that goes again up hill. Breaking to make turn and then being able to accelerate up an incline. Definitely not doing that in 4th or 3rd.

I will look into transmission gearbox oil but has been changed in the last 30,000 miles.

There also does not appear to be much if any free play or slop in the clutch pedal? It appears to give the same amount of feedback each time and engages when I am able to in the same position.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Check your clutch adjustment.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Try tightening the clutch wing nut or bolt anyway, at least you'll be able to eliminate that.... but it's likely the cause of the problem... or rebuild the transmission time.
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Try tightening the clutch wing nut or bolt anyway, at least you'll be able to eliminate that.... but it's likely the cause of the problem... or rebuild the transmission time.

Thanks - I’ll climb under and check it out. Maybe time to go freeway flyer.
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

So just a follow up - replaced the shift rod coupling again and adjusted the clutch wing nut.

Was shifting well for about 2 weeks and all of a sudden shift rod coupling broke. Replaced with a new Wolfsburg West one I had and that one broke within 20 minutes.
Ideas on if there is a bigger issue or just rotten couplings?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Your problem sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging properly when you depress the pedal. If the pedal freeplay is adjusted correctly and you're pushing the clutch pedal all the way in before shifting, then one of the following conditions are likely causes: the clutch cable tube has broken free of one or more of its welds inside the tunnel, the clutch disc is sticking on the transmission input shaft splines, the transmission input shaft is binding in the pilot bearing, the clutch fork has a bent or broken finger, or the pressure plate is faulty.
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Your problem sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging properly when you depress the pedal. If the pedal freeplay is adjusted correctly and you're pushing the clutch pedal all the way in before shifting, then one of the following conditions are likely causes: the clutch cable tube has broken free of one or more of its welds inside the tunnel, the clutch disc is sticking on the transmission input shaft splines, the transmission input shaft is binding in the pilot bearing, the clutch fork has a bent or broken finger, or the pressure plate is faulty.

Thanks for the feed back. Any recommended tutorials or reading material I can use to look into these items?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

How is your front tranny mount? If loose or broken, it lets the front of the tranny jump when accelerating, and it might wear out your coupler prematurely. Also, urethane is not a good choice there (at least in the later parts).
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
How is your front tranny mount? If loose or broken, it lets the front of the tranny jump when accelerating, and it might wear out your coupler prematurely. Also, urethane is not a good choice there (at least in the later parts).

Was able to get one without the urethane holding the 2 pieces together from a gentlemen in town. Looks similar to the one Jbugs offers...

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111711175B.html?utm_...wZEALw_wcB

Hope this holds. Hesitating to even test drive around the block again.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Ronix wrote:
Thanks for the feed back. Any recommended tutorials or reading material I can use to look into these items?

This forum has a fair amount of information on the subjects if you search.

For the clutch cable tube, you'll want to gain visual access to the three welded mount points inside of the tunnel via removal of the front inspection plate, shift lever, and the coupler inspection plate. Have a helper pump the clutch pedal while you observe the cable tube to see if it is moving or if you can specifically see any of the three welds broken. The forward attachment point/weld is just aft of the pedal assembly, the center one is below the parking brake lever, and the rear is just outboard of the shift coupler. For repair of a loose clutch cable tube, see the information below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the other possible causes I listed, you'll need to remove the engine to inspect the clutch and inside the transmission bellhousing.
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Ronix wrote:

This forum has a fair amount of information on the subjects if you search.

For the clutch cable tube, you'll want to gain visual access to the three welded mount points inside of the tunnel via removal of the front inspection plate, shift lever, and the coupler inspection plate. Have a helper pump the clutch pedal while you observe the cable tube to see if it is moving or if you can specifically see any of the three welds broken. The forward attachment point/weld is just aft of the pedal assembly, the center one is below the parking brake lever, and the rear is just outboard of the shift coupler. For repair of a loose clutch cable tube, see the information below.

For the other possible causes I listed, you'll need to remove the engine to inspect the clutch and inside the transmission bellhousing.

Awesome - thanks.
Ronix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Just a little follow up after some time. I replaced the clutch cable wingnut, ended up breaking 2 shift rod couplers, and finally replaced the Bowden tube and it appears the issues are currently gone. So knock on wood that’s what it is. While I was at it I also replaced the rear spring plates, torsion bars. and shocks. So win-win.

Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: