Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: 82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda Reply with quote

Picked up a 82 westy with OG 2.0. Unfortunately the FI was swapped to a single carb system prior to me. It had a nasty knock so I put new p&c's in and did a gasket overhaul. I spent far too much time trying to tune the single carb and finally decided to swap to dual Weber 34icts. The shop I bought the duals from suggested that I switch to a svda distributor and ditch the electronic dvda. I have a few questions:

Should I ditch the dvda for a svda? If so just cap the wiring harness for the electronic dvda and hook up the condenser wire to the coil for the svda?

The CB Weber kit comes with a 3/8" barbed fitting for vacuum from thr intake manifold. CB says it's there because the booster needs vacuu.? Where would I find this port?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda Reply with quote

A non leaking dual diaphragm advance is superior to a single advance. If yours is not leaking vacuum I would use it. If the intake runners don’t have a barb, it’s easy enough to add them. Connect both sides and T to the retard side of the diaphragm. Each time you crack the throttle you get instant timing advance. The centrifugal and vacuum advance are slow to respond by comparison.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda Reply with quote

Since there was a knock, did you pull the rods to inspect the bearings?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
A non leaking dual diaphragm advance is superior to a single advance. If yours is not leaking vacuum I would use it. If the intake runners don’t have a barb, it’s easy enough to add them. Connect both sides and T to the retard side of the diaphragm. Each time you crack the throttle you get instant timing advance. The centrifugal and vacuum advance are slow to respond by comparison.

The "balance tube" between the two intakes is typically for the retard side of the distributor?
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Since there was a knock, did you pull the rods to inspect the bearings?

Yes
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda Reply with quote

The short intake runners alone don't have as much intake vacuum as a conventional intake. By "T"ing them, you have slightly improved the intake vacuum.

You still set total advance, but I believe you'll notice slightly improved bottom end with a retard/advance setup.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Westy - Single Carb to Dual 34icts and dvda to svda Reply with quote

while l've not yet done it myself, l think if you were to convert to run the digifant injection system from an 86> vanagon, you would need to keep the intake runners and the plenum.
the only part an aircooled engine doesn't have, that would be required from digifant, is the temp 2 sensor.
if it were wired into an oil temp sensor, it wouldn't be drastically different, yes it would get to running temperature a bit quicker.
with aircooled fuel injection parts, sometime being kind of difficult to find, to me it seems something worth trying.

if l owned an aircooled, l would for sure have fitted one by now.

619 201 0310
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: