Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 sub hatch camper
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yanmori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Few weeks ago, i got myself a 1965 sub hatch camper from Winnipeg Canada. At first I was worried about driving from Quebec without being sure it was worth the ride but i flipped the coin and I hit the road. 28 hours drive later, I’ve got very good surprise on how the frame was rock solid and a very good candidate for a project.

Now, it’s in my garage and I already started removing interior panels, bumpers that doesn’t belong to the bus (bay window bumpers), back lights, flashers etc etc...

So now, I am regarding Mcode options and to tell you the truth, I am a little bit confuse concerning the SO model I have since it come with no interior but do have curtains rails and a hole in the floor for the table leg.

The bus have no port code or westy code, a two tone paint (523309) SWR (L53) and BG (L472) export Kombi with two pop-outs and four solid windows and no louvered windows (M108).

I am pretty sure it’s a European delivered westy thru the tourist delivery program and then sent back home after visiting Europe.

After finding out about the options I have on my Mcode plate, the bus came with chrome hubcaps (M181), steering ignition lock (M056), safety belts (M025, Euro Specs), Eberspacher BN4 (M119), Bulkhead panel, non walk-through (M504), stiffer rear suspension (M531) and the ambulance step and sub hatch that is not list on the Mcode plate.

What make me confuse is the fact that the bus have a sub hatch with wood panels on the roof and grey panels on the walls with the Mcode 430 telling me it’s a SO42 model... But the SO42 should not come with wood panels all over the cargo with pop-top roof.!??

For now, I know it’s not a SO34 or SO35 since it’s not walk trough. Maybe a SO22/Mosaik, SO24, SO33 or SO44 model?

The inner doors handle are chrome and not 036 silver beige... maybe it can be a clue?

I know it’s a subject that has been talked already, but I really want to find out the exact model I have in hand and start hunting for the right interior.

Best regards! Yan Smile
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

If it is a '64/'65 hatchtop with the 1/3 - 2/3 front seat, then it would almost certainly have been an SO-33 from the factory.

Every '65 hatchtop I have seen has been either an SO-33, or and SO-34/SO-35. The SO-34/SO-35 has the flip front seat, and no partition.

They did make SO-42s in '65, but they were all either hardtop, fiberglass poptop, or sunroof. An SO-42 M-code would be A42, B42, etc. 430 is a USA specs package. Your M-codes show that it was an original Westfalia camper. Westies delivered to Europe didn't have the camper package M-code, but the other codes only show up like that on Westies.

Westfalia would do weird spec conversions for people, but those are rare.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yanmori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Thanks Lind for the infos!.. the problem is i don’t have front seats either and I can’t tell you if it is a 1/3-2/3 seats. Can I figure it out with the seat rails in place?

Do you believe it was a bus order from a customer thru the tourist delivery program with specific option like the hatchtop, ambulance step, 2 tones color combination (SWR & BG) and the SO33 package (without wood panels on the cargo walls) and then shipped to USA after their trip?

Is this the reason why there is no port of entry code on the Mplate?
Is the 430 on the Mplate is the USA camper code?

Last edited by Yanmori on Sun May 16, 2021 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yanmori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Any pics of your bus?

It would be interesting to know how many 65 subhatch buses are still running around. I have a velvet green one.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

There's some in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751960&highlight=

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Yanmori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Yanmori&show_results=summary
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

The bus is either a tourist delivery Westfalia, or a serviceman delivered Westfalia. Either way, it is a special order Westfalia that was originally delivered to Germany, but built to USA specs. Special order cars often get extra options. It is most likely an SO-33. It is possible that the original owner ordered it with kombi panels in the back to save a tiny bit on the cost of the westy conversion. It is also possible that it was an SO-22 mosiak with a more spartan kit. The SO-22 kit is just less pieces of an SO-33 kit.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information

Last edited by Lind on Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

are jack stands expensive where you live?
sure stumps are solid, but they're also not always very ... secure/level/stable.

just be careful I'm sure you already know the dangers.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yanmori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

This is previous owner setup... the wheels are back on the bus and well park on jack stand in my garage.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Yanmori wrote:

Side note- is this the youngest known SO33/34/35 (as in the youngest known flip hatch bus)?

The oldest known SO42 (Fabrik-Nr. 14) was built one day before this bus.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Yanmori wrote:

Side note- is this the youngest known SO33/34/35 (as in the youngest known flip hatch bus)?

Interesting. I know Nr. 14 well. Cool observation.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

Wow that is late. Your flip hatch SO33 was produced after at least 900 SO42s were built as Crofty has stated his 4/65 SO42 has Fabrik Nr. 967
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Looking through your gallery- i dont see any holes for the door cabinet bracket.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yanmori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Looking through your gallery- i dont see any holes for the door cabinet bracket.

Where exactly should be the holes? I can take more pictures if it helps finding out wich camper kit was in the bus originally!

Tks
Yanmori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
von_hansel wrote:
Yanmori wrote:

Interesting. I know Nr. 14 well. Cool observation.

You mean for a 1965?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Yanmori wrote:
crofty wrote:

Where exactly should be the holes? I can take more pictures if it helps finding out wich camper kit was in the bus originally!

Tks

Forward cargo door in the indent below the window.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Yanmori wrote:
Thanks Lind for the infos!.. the problem is i don’t have front seats either and I can’t tell you if it is a 1/3-2/3 seats. Can I figure it out with the seat rails in place?

Do you believe it was a bus order from a customer thru the tourist delivery program with specific option like the hatchtop, ambulance step, 2 tones color combination (SWR & BG) and the SO33 package (without wood panels on the cargo walls) and then shipped to USA after their trip?

Is this the reason why there is no port of entry code on the Mplate?
Is the 430 on the Mplate is the USA camper code?

no port code- Germany delivery.
430 - US spec, not a camper code.
no port code westys tend NOT to have the camper kit code on the Mcode tag.
Many US spec no port code westies were ordered by military, and shipped back afterwards.
They were generally whatever kit was available at the time, and many had extra options, that the off the shelf US sold Westies did not get... often two tone paint, could be safari windows, ambo step, etc

I had a 65 SO-42, but add steering lock, two tone paint VG/BW, safaris, TWO striped tents, no jalousies, no electric hookup.
That is a cool bus, and fairly normal for a no port code Westy.

Your bus looks like a special order bus, where they picked what they wanted ala carte from the menu at Westfalia and/or VW.
The grey T panel in back looks original.
Does it have the rest of the grey panels under that shag carpet?

This bus is more unusual than most no port code westies, having the grey panels and a camper kit, it seems like that is what the original buyer ordered.

It reminds me of this bus, which looks like it had various pieces ordered ala carte in ~ 1959.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sub hatch camper Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

It reminds me of this bus, which looks like it had various pieces ordered ala carte in ~ 1959.

According to Michael Steinke the bus pictured was a Homocide Police bus which included a single color canvas. He did a story on it in the Westfalia Register in the past.

Definitely a unique bus from Westfalia.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: