Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

I disagree. I think that VOG has been great. I have found solutions to problems there easily, by simply asking. I have had people send me small misc parts for just the cost of shipping. There are many knowledgeable people who are willing to share with out the elitist stuff you some times get here and elsewhere. People will post pictures when they address a question and it is usually in a short period of time. I have made many friends there, real life friends. I think as far a the bickering goes; I see very little. The problem over there was a rebellion related to how things were being moderated and people being silenced and banned for speaking up about something they found offensive. I consider myself a pretty well seasoned Vanagon owner and I find the interaction more fun on VOG then the generally dry sharing of information here on the "old inter web". I have made one or two friends that I have seen in real life here on the Samba, while I have made many on VOG. People I have camped with and spent time with in real life.

vandroid wrote:
Me and the wife are members of many Groups on FB and I will share that, without a doubt, the best Groups are invite only. They don't come up in searches, for very good reasons. It doesn't take much thought to figure out what can go wrong in a group of 14,000 on social media. I find the VOG to be rather stale and void of true technical information. The three Groups I relay on have a few hundred members and not a single bit of bickering, drama or social BS, just straight talk and technical discussions with sharing, mostly PDFs and if you are looking for the hard to find parts, that's where we find them. It's a shame about all the drama. Across multiple other Groups mostly BenT's, quite a few are voicing that they have been silenced and need moderator approval to have their posts seen. Personally, it is 13th grade and too cliquey for us to post. Sure you can see beautiful pictures, but who doesn't have those of their own while out camping in a Vanagon. Our advice, put down the phone, get out and go camping. No wifi needed!
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:
I disagree. I think that VOG has been great. I have found solutions to problems there easily, by simply asking. I have had people send me small misc parts for just the cost of shipping. There are many knowledgeable people who are willing to share with out the elitist stuff you some times get here and elsewhere. People will post pictures when they address a question and it is usually in a short period of time. I have made many friends there, real life friends. I think as far a the bickering goes; I see very little. The problem over there was a rebellion related to how things were being moderated and people being silenced and banned for speaking up about something they found offensive. I consider myself a pretty well seasoned Vanagon owner and I find the interaction more fun on VOG then the generally dry sharing of information here on the "old inter web". I have made one or two friends that I have seen in real life here on the Samba, while I have made many on VOG. People I have camped with and spent time with in real life.

vandroid wrote:
Me and the wife are members of many Groups on FB and I will share that, without a doubt, the best Groups are invite only. They don't come up in searches, for very good reasons. It doesn't take much thought to figure out what can go wrong in a group of 14,000 on social media. I find the VOG to be rather stale and void of true technical information. The three Groups I relay on have a few hundred members and not a single bit of bickering, drama or social BS, just straight talk and technical discussions with sharing, mostly PDFs and if you are looking for the hard to find parts, that's where we find them. It's a shame about all the drama. Across multiple other Groups mostly BenT's, quite a few are voicing that they have been silenced and need moderator approval to have their posts seen. Personally, it is 13th grade and too cliquey for us to post. Sure you can see beautiful pictures, but who doesn't have those of their own while out camping in a Vanagon. Our advice, put down the phone, get out and go camping. No wifi needed!

Well, if you are narcissistic and need a social media Group to find friends, than hey, knock yourself out. That Group is all about flash and what you've spent on your van. As I have said, we have been invited to be in Groups with professionals and vendors, worldwide. Every single question gets answered and what things cost and how blingy they are aren't part of the discussions. I have shared with those Groups that if they do open to more people, please charge a subscription fee, that will keep most of the troublemakers away. The subscription trend is coming, because it works.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

vandroid wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

vandroid wrote:

Well, if you are narcissistic and need a social media Group to find friends, than hey, knock yourself out. That Group is all about flash and what you've spent on your van. As I have said, we have been invited to be in Groups with professionals and vendors, worldwide. Every single question gets answered and what things cost and how blingy they are aren't part of the discussions. I have shared with those Groups that if they do open to more people, please charge a subscription fee, that will keep most of the troublemakers away. The subscription trend is coming, because it works.

You are exactly what I am talking about. I have plenty of friends, FB or not. I don't hide behind fake names and talk keyboard shit.
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:
vandroid wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

vandroid wrote:

You are exactly what I am talking about. I have plenty of friends, FB or not. I don't hide behind fake names and talk keyboard shit.

Exactly, you hang out with your "friends" in Groups on social media that are not fair, lack equality and are all about flashy things, void of any substance. You are well known in the social media arena as a troublemaker, with only basic mechanical skills and one who makes poor decisions. I have discussed you with many moderators. Look who pops up here to talk FB without posting anything else in a long time. Anonymity has it's advantages. Please don't provoke, it just proves my point.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

For those not on FB, Scott Shelley has helped show the utter "toxic masculinity" that is being called out in the FB Groups. Please don't not let it fester here.

Good day.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

Well, I was going to post something so mind-blowingly insightful that it would completely change everyone's thinking about FB, The Samba and entire internet...
But I can see this thread is soon to be locked so I guess I'll keep it to myself. Wink

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

Link

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on at Vanagon Owners Group? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Well, I was going to post something so mind-blowingly insightful that it would completely change everyone's thinking about FB, The Samba and entire internet...
But I can see this thread is soon to be locked so I guess I'll keep it to myself. Wink

Yeah...... I've done some editing already...... we are headed into a downward spiral........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: