Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash lights not working
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewarren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

Hi All - long time reader, first time poster.

I am having an issue with the dash lights on my ‘84 Vanagon. I have combed through the threads here - lots of posts on dash light issues, but none that seem to quite match what I have going on here.

Of relevance is that I recently installed a GOWesty circuit board to replace the blue foil. Prior to doing this, everything on the cluster worked except my gas gauge. After doing this, my fuel gauge was revived (happy days), but now my dash lights do not come on WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED. It may or may not be related to the circuit job - based on what I have read, I am suspecting a grounding issue and that I may have knocked some things loose back there when removing/installing the cluster.

A few things of note:

The lights behind the vent controls all still work, so I don’t believe it is a fuse issue.

The dash lights come on when I have the key in the ignition in first position.

When the key is in second position, or when the van is started, the dash lights stop working.

Everything else on cluster works - temp guage, analogue clock, gas gauge, etc.

After installing the circuit, I also noticed that my rear interior dome light stopped working - all other interior lights work - I suspect it is related, but not certain.

In any event, was quite excited to revive the fuel gauge and would love to resolve this issue so that everything on my cluster is in good working order! Any help would be very much appreciated!!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

When you say dash lights, are you talking about the indicator lights or the nighttime illumination bulbs?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

When you looked in the FAQ's what was the prognosis? These issues are widely covered in the FAQ's.

Oh, and welcome to the Forums.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

is the little wheel on the light switch is turn to full ON?
ewarren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

Hi All,

By dash lights I mean the illumination lights that hang over the speedo, temp and gas gauge, not any of the indicators (those are all working).

The wheel is all the way on, yes - the lights behind the vent controls are on and are responsive to the dimmer switch.

I’ll have a run through the FAQs - have read a lot about these issues on the forums via google search, but haven’t gone through the FAQs specifically. I will check that out!

I had in to get the fuel lines replaced recently and mechanic - experienced with Vanagons - wasn’t able to diagnose (though I didn’t ask him to look into it, so I don’t think he spent much time there).

Thanks.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

did you change the light bulbs from OEM to LED?

the LED bulbs has specific polarity and won't work if it's reversed.
ewarren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

I do have the LEDs and have checked polarity, yes. Have done the 180 flip back and forth a few times. I have it now so the lights will come on when the key is in the ignition, but then they turn off and won’t come back on once the van is started.

That’s why I am suspecting some sort of grounding issue, but don’t really know how to diagnose or take some steps to mitigate!!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

try this...

unhook the 14 pins connector (cluster to harness) and connect it back... pin #1 is for instrument light (Bentley 90.18..)

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Sun May 16, 2021 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
try this...

unhook the 14 pins connector (cluster to harness) and connect it back... pin #1 is for instrument light (Bentley 90.1Cool

Yup, you can use a pick to slightly push out the pins
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

warren wrote:
.... ‘84 Vanagon. I have combed through the threads here .... none that seem to quite match what I have going on here.

Of relevance is that I recently installed a GOWesty circuit board .... but now my dash lights do not come on WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

When the key is in second position, or when the van is started, the dash lights stop working.

After installing the circuit, I also noticed that my rear interior dome light stopped working - all other interior lights work

fwiw, your '84 likely does not have a fuse for the dash lights.

The dash lights should work even if key is not turned. i.e. even if key is not in ignition.

Since the lights work under certain conditions, ground is getting to the 58b lighting circuits under those conditions. i.e. a ground is likely not the issue.

Do the dash lights only work with key turned to first position? i.e. to position that turns on warning lights at cluster?

"rear interior dome light". If this is a camper van, this refers to light in kitchen area?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
KarHaus1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

also a long time reader and new account -
ewarren - I also changed out my foil in the last few days but replaced with the Vanagon.com kit. I also have an '84 Westy, water-cooled 1.9. You might be able to answer my question. When you turn your ignition key to 'on' - which red warning LEDs light? In my case it is just Batt and Oil but the Vanagon instructions say the OXS light in the bottom right corner should come on also. All go off when the engine is started. Can't help with your interior lights as I switched all mine to the aux batter last year. Thanks, Kirk
ewarren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

@Vanagon Nut

That’s super helpful to know it’s not a grounding issue - thanks for that feedback!

You are correct - the dash lights work with no key in ignition. They stop working as soon as I turn the key to first position, when the warning lights come on on the cluster. And then of course they still do not work when I start the van.

It is a camper and the other light not working is the regular interior light over the center of the bench seat in the back, not the dome light over the kitchen - that dome light is still working. My apologies.
ewarren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:
try this...

unhook the 14 pins connector (cluster to harness) and connect it back... pin #1 is for instrument light (Bentley 90.1Cool

Yup, you can use a pick to slightly push out the pins

I have done this a few times, and cleaned up the pins/connector. It is actually what brought my fuel gauge back at the end of the day...
ewarren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

KarHaus1984 wrote:
also a long time reader and new account -
ewarren - I also changed out my foil in the last few days but replaced with the Vanagon.com kit. I also have an '84 Westy, water-cooled 1.9. You might be able to answer my question. When you turn your ignition key to 'on' - which red warning LEDs light? In my case it is just Batt and Oil but the Vanagon instructions say the OXS light in the bottom right corner should come on also. All go off when the engine is started. Can't help with your interior lights as I switched all mine to the aux batter last year. Thanks, Kirk

I just checked that out on my van - actually the only warning light that comes on for me in the battery light. I don’t think I have an OXS indicator light though?! Not sure that I am much help there...
ewarren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
warren wrote:
.... ‘84 Vanagon. I have combed through the threads here .... none that seem to quite match what I have going on here.

Of relevance is that I recently installed a GOWesty circuit board .... but now my dash lights do not come on WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

After installing the circuit, I also noticed that my rear interior dome light stopped working - all other interior lights work

fwiw, your '84 likely does not have a fuse for the dash lights.

The dash lights should work even if key is not turned. i.e. even if key is not in ignition.

Since the lights work under certain conditions, ground is getting to the 58b lighting circuits under those conditions. i.e. a ground is likely not the issue.

Do the dash lights only work with key turned to first position? i.e. to position that turns on warning lights at cluster?

"rear interior dome light". If this is a camper van, this refers to light in kitchen area?

I responded above, but just figured out how to “quote” so wanted to send this as well in case it doesn’t notify you otherwise. Again, many thanks!!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

Have you try a new ignition switch?
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

When you installed the blue foil replacement from GW, did you use their connector or hardwire it? Their connector is low quality, it’s recommended that you connect directly.

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
KarHaus1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

Thanks ewarren for the response. The oil pressure indicator should also light up. Your '84 has an oxygen sensor according to Bentley so you should also have the OXS indicator light in the bottom right corner. As you know from replacing your foil the opposite side left hand corner is empty and has no LED. You put in 5 new LED indicator bulbs in the center of the cluster with the GoWesty install.(turn signals, high beam, batt/alt, oil, OXS).

As others have suggested you may not have good contact between your 14 pin connector and the new GoWesty plug. The Vanagon.com site has a nice article on replaceing the foil with their product. Towards the back of the article they show how to open the existing plug and gently pry up the spring pins one at a time while you remove and reinsert the wires. It made a tighter connection and better contact when the new plug was reinserted. It made a difference in what did and did not work in my install and might help you and maybe get your other warning LED(s) to work. Good luck
KarHaus1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

I also like the change ignition switch answer. they do wear out.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights not working Reply with quote

ewarren wrote:
@Vanagon Nut

That’s super helpful to know it’s not a grounding issue - thanks for that feedback!

You are correct - the dash lights work with no key in ignition. They stop working as soon as I turn the key to first position, when the warning lights come on on the cluster. And then of course they still do not work when I start the van.

It is a camper and the other light not working is the regular interior light over the center of the bench seat in the back, not the dome light over the kitchen - that dome light is still working. My apologies.

Oh no problem man. I just wasn't clear on what light you were talking about.

I'd ignore the interior light for now.

Disconnect the cluster. See if issue stops. Check if headlights, parking lights, work normally.

Unless I'm missing a detail(s) in the wiring diagrams, as they show, and as they should normally work, the parking lights, dash lights, work any time the head light is switched on to first position. i.e. I don't see some small arcane detail that connects them to any contacts in the ignition switch. That said, "Ignition switch" did occur to me. Maybe something is running afoul in that switch or, the headlight switch. I doubt it though. (watch me get proven wrong. Wink )

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: