Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Change Spudge 1500SP
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marknmelcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Hey all.

I just bought a '67 that has been locked up in a dry garage for 12 years. It was a California car, that was imported to Canada (BC) about 15 years ago. It's in amazing shape. Not a show car, but a solid driver!

It was stuck in a small single car garage, and you couldn't really push it to get it out. I turned the motor over with a wrench - 360deg and the engine was free. Figured it would be pretty easy to start and move.

I thought I would just start it using a small auxiliary gas tank to gravity feed the carb.

I went to start it and nothing. Wouldn't spin. It was hydro-locked. The aux tank dumped about half a liter of fuel into the engine. PFFT!

Long story short, got it home - and got it into my driveway. (I ran it for about a minute.)

About 4 days later, I'm sorting out some of the issues with the car.

-trashed fuel tank due to rust (and the stink!!!)
-fuel lines
-oil change

None of this to this point is really that interesting. It's at this point where I pulled the sump plate and the strainer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What do you make of it? Seen anything like it? First look, it looks like paper towel, but it's not that. Second thought is it could look like a fabric, due to the fibers, but again, it's not that. It's soft & gummy.

My thoughts:

PO used ethanol fuel. Fuel in carb dried up, needle and seat stuck open and flowed the ethanol fuel into the block. That ethanol evaporated as well. When the new fuel got into the block it separated the ethanol gunk from the block and internal components.

Needless to say, I'm pretty concerned about it, but I'm hoping to do a few short oil changes to see if I can salvage what appears to be a decent running 1500SP.

Does anyone else have any ideas about this? Seen anything like it before?

Thanks for your thoughts!

/Mark
'15 Tiguan 4mo - 'Tig'
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Looks like an old rag or paper filter element of some sort
marknmelcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Looks like an old rag or paper filter element of some sort

Yeah - I doubt the old rag, given its so mushy and no real substance to it.
I pulled the valve covers today, and on the floor of the rocker box and in the valve covers, the same "sediment" was there too on both sides. The bonus - no valves were tight. They all had clearance. Somebody must have taken care of it at some point in it's life.

I hadn't considered the paper element. It's got a stupid mini-chrome thing on there. If we ever get past this virus thing, I'd love to find an old oil bath for it at a swap meet. I'm not even a '67 snob Cool , so any later oil bath would even be great.

The PO was driving this thing prior to storage, but anything is really possible.

/Mark
'15 Tiguan 4mo - 'Tig'
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Certainly looks like old-fuel snot. Interesting. Been in there a long time.
Given there is a mystery inside the motor, do your plans include removal and disassembly? Hope so.
'Salvage' may be less than successful by trying to spin up an engine that may wind up with blockages in galleries.
Think you'll be happier in the long run by going to the trouble.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Certainly looks like old-fuel snot. Interesting. Been in there a long time.
Given there is a mystery inside the motor, do your plans include removal and disassembly? Hope so.
'Salvage' may be less than successful by trying to spin up an engine that may wind up with blockages in galleries.
Think you'll be happier in the long run by going to the trouble.

Yep...varnish and solidified oil.

This type of thiing is PRECISELY why I always advise people who are buying "badn find" and garage find cars.....that have not been started in many years......NOT...... to try to start it. Tow it home.....tear down the engine.....and free everything up and clean everything.

If not......far too many times you may turn what was a good quality moderate miles engine.....made of parts whose quality you can no longer purchase.....into scrap.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Not calling anyone out at all by any means. But why would this have any form of structure or shape? My first inclination was a paper element of some sort.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

I vote for the "some sort of paper element".....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Sludge/varnish can form a thick coating, then dry and crack like desert clay soil, flakes off, then look like paper when rehydrated.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

I vote for kelp. Definitely kelp.

Maybe SpongeBob owned it before you. Laughing
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Its bacteria living on the interface between oil and a small amount of water in the sump.
I had this in an engine that had half an inch of water in it, then a film of bacteria then oil.

Its the same kind of thing that actually does the natural cleanup on like the seabed oil seeps near the California Channel Islands.

Similar gets into marine diesel fuel tanks and underground storage tanks where there is more moisture around

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Does it have a full flow oil filter? If not, I would not run it again until it is tore down and cleaned.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
Not calling anyone out at all by any means. But why would this have any form of structure or shape? My first inclination was a paper element of some sort.

Mikedjames did a pretty good job of explaining it.

And....its not just bacteria....but thats a big part of it. Just pure time and chemistry. Not to mention....the addition of moisture and combustion byproducts into the oil. The additives in the oil are minerals and metals. They have differing polarity/charges. Add moisture and you get electrochemical reaction/breakdown. Then you have the oxygen that was in that moisture. From that you get oxidization....with its own electrochemistry.

Some examples of the same process:

Have you ever opened up a 40 year old NOS cylinder set and found the rings literally glued into the lands? Same thing.

Same issues with an engine that was run and then sat for ages.....and the fuel in the oil breaks down into varnish and literally glues the valves into their position in the valve guides. More than a few of these "barn find" gems have died when the new owner gleefully spins the starter.....and a valve glued into the open position....promptly hits a piston.

Same sort of issues with buying NOS rubber products.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Yes I bought a 70 year old tractor that had not run for 20 years. On start up it bent 1 push rod and had 3 stuck valves.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

After pulling the oil strainer and seeing that, if you start this thing up without splitting the case and cleaning it out, you deserve whatever kick in the nuts you receive frankly.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I vote for kelp. Definitely kelp.

Maybe SpongeBob owned it before you. Laughing

wow that was a weird thought Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

haha the 1600 im getting put back together had the same thing. just my engine hadent formed into paper like shapes.

mine was more like strands of snot.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
marknmelcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Thanks folks.

Spongebob and I have decided to tear this engine apart. It's not that much time, expense or effort. The goal of this car is to make a fun, reliable driver while my other bug is undergoing restoration. My wife may drive this one quite a bit, and I'd like to make it as reliable as I can for a 54 year old car. I don't want to get "that phone call".

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, especially Ray. I really look up to your experience. I just wanted to say thanks!

Here is a pic of the outside. I'll share what I find on the inside (of the engine) too!

/Mark
'15 Tiguan 4mo - 'Tig'
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Damn that car is sitting nice! I wouldn't change a thing looks wise but that's just me.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
marknmelcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

So, I can say that I took the helpful advise from everyone that replied and even sjbartnik too. A kick in the nuts is kinda painful, so I did my best to avoid that.

The car isn't roadworthy yet, and I wanted to cross all my "i's" and dot my "t's" and that included pulling the engine apart.

The good news is
- it's a new case - no miles on it (this is news to me)
- main bearings appear new
- crank and rods are acceptable wear
- pistons are KS - I'm going to reuse them
- it's a 1600, not a 1500 as I expected.
- someone spent some quality time building it as at least the rods look balanced, but the factory crank seems like it has some drill marks for balance as well....

The less good:
- the cam and lifters seem to be somewhat galled up
- SP heads need a valve job - badly...

After a cursory analysis and a basic clean - I'm looking at what my next steps are.

As promised - a few pics:

#3 Journal/bearing about to have a bad time.

#4 Bearing - plugged up

Case Sludge

First shot at cleaning up, before I pull out the gallery plugs

/Mark
'15 Tiguan 4mo - 'Tig'
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Change Spudge 1500SP Reply with quote

Great decision to tear it down instead of trying to see if it magically starts and runs.....like so many others! Wink

This should be a case study thread for those in your same position!

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: