Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1385 Distributor Options (and other things)
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tusk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: 1385 Distributor Options (and other things) Reply with quote

I'm on the last leg of parts gathering for my 1385 build but I can't seem to find any good info on distributor options specific to my setup.

Setup as follows:
Early case cut for cam bearings,
Engle W100 (Still need to check the lifter bores, I've been seeing that issue come up a lot)
Stock crank and rods
Stock oil pump
Porsche Style Fram Filter (Number 1699 from CBP)
Converting to Dog House
1300 SP heads
Vintage Speed Exhaust
Vintage Speed Stainless INOX Oil Filler
Dual Solex 34mm from CBP - I got some different sized jets as well

I do have a ZV/PAU 4R6 but had read that with the dual carbs, the vacuum signal wasn't correct, however it did appear that fellow only had it connected to one carb. So my first question is, would I be okay with this distributor with those carbs if I had the canister plumbed to both carbs or should I find something else? I'd seen a lot of people running 019s. Are the mechanical advance better for this application than vacuum advance? I would also like to have an electronic ignition if possible. I am running 12v.

My next question regards pushrods and rockers; simply, what should I use? I've got a ton of 40hp length rods and a ton of 1600 length rods. I've got many sets of rockers as well, however I can't really tell any of them apart.

My last question; I don't know the square root of jack shite when it comes to cams. I know what they do and how they work, but in terms of the actual difference between one to another for different applications; I'm lost. I'd seen several threads of people using the engle w100 cam in a 1385. Is it too much?

Thanks in advance.
Happy to provide any other information if necessary.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

/T.
1964 Beetle - Rita - Restoration in Progress
1971 Squareback - Joanie - Sold
1961 Beetle - Daphne - Sold
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 Distributor Options (and other things) Reply with quote

The ZV/PAU 4 R 6 is sought after in the bone stock type III world. If the badge is decent they will want it or trade for the more common R 5.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 Distributor Options (and other things) Reply with quote

I'm building a 1385 (probably) for my 62 bug as well, quite similar in specs to yours

1300sp heads
2x32-34SolexPDSIT
Stock exhaust with high flow end pipes

As far as camshaft goes, I do not have any experience with the W100 but have read some opinions here on this forum that the W100 is not the best, and no longer a modern grind, so there are better alternatives.

I will us the stock cam in my build, mostly due to cost, but also since peak power most likely will be well below 5k anyway, and I believe the extra hp you can get with more duration will not be worth the loss of low end with a longer duration cam. I will use 1.1 or 1.25 ratio rockers
Tusk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 Distributor Options (and other things) Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:
I'm building a 1385 (probably) for my 62 bug as well, quite similar in specs to yours

1300sp heads
2x32-34SolexPDSIT
Stock exhaust with high flow end pipes

As far as camshaft goes, I do not have any experience with the W100 but have read some opinions here on this forum that the W100 is not the best, and no longer a modern grind, so there are better alternatives.

I will us the stock cam in my build, mostly due to cost, but also since peak power most likely will be well below 5k anyway, and I believe the extra hp you can get with more duration will not be worth the loss of low end with a longer duration cam. I will use 1.1 or 1.25 ratio rockers

Good to know about the cam know that I've bought it! Dancing I've read alot of conflicting things so I suppose I'm willing to try it...or maybe ratio rockers are the way to go? Do you know how I can identify the factory rockers in terms of their ratio?

Thanks,
/T.
1964 Beetle - Rita - Restoration in Progress
1971 Squareback - Joanie - Sold
1961 Beetle - Daphne - Sold
wokokow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 Distributor Options (and other things) Reply with quote

How about the Engle W90 which is what I got. I'm building two engines at the same time that I'll be swapping in my 68 build.
I'm planning to use W90 on both but one will have a 30 pict 2 center-mount carb while the other is based on a 1385 big bore 90mm spigot dual relief AS 21 case. The later will also incorporate 1.1-1 ratio rockers with 32 PDSITs although on a later date, I'll buy some Spanish weber ICTs for it. Hope this will work out for me.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 Distributor Options (and other things) Reply with quote

In orderr to answer questions regarding distributors with vacuum advance one needs to know something about the vacuum signal from the carburetor. The R 6 delivers about 18 degrees of advance when 50mm/Hg is applied.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 Distributor Options (and other things) Reply with quote

Hello.
You are correct that the Vacum only type distributor is not the best solution for what you are building. Back in the days that was one of the reasons to why people got so hung up on 010 & 019´s.
The simple solution is definitely to go with a 010, or a rebuilt German 009 as the carbs you have chosen do not function with an SVA distributor, only SVDA
If youre interested in playing a little and not go the typical route you can go buy the CSP Bluetooth Pacemaker. (It is really a 123 in disguise, but some people want the "correct" look. With that you can get it black so it aaallmost looks like a 010. Then you can program your mechanical timing and adjust the advance on vacum for the signal you can get.

Wrt cam choice. A W100 will work, but it will give you a somewhat rough idle, which - can - be smoothed out to an extend if you use the Pacemaker.
My first choice would be a CB 2280 or 2232. The 2232 pulls more torque but less rpm.

I´m always chasing power when I´m "in there anyway" so bear with me if I am on a tangent you do not want to go out on. So,,, back when such engines were more normal to build here due to price and availability of cheap sub 15 hr industrial engines I built a few of such engines. I used the 2280 cam along with 1300 sgl port heads which got a 35,5 mm intake seat and valve along with a mild porting to match a 1500 head in port shape&size, but better flowing, 8,5 CR. I used 32 mm Solex early type 3 carbs from the 1500S with the stock 23 mm venturi and ½" balance tube (That actually made them tricky to tune) and with these carbs I used the corresponding PAU4 I believe, large cap distributor. But on most I used the late model 32 w. 24 mm venturi and the corresponding SVDA distributor. (Dont remember the number, but I can look it up is nessessary)
In those days we had more time than money, and some people liked the almost totally stock look, so we took a cheap aftermarket stock muffler, opened it and made a shorty header type out of it with a little dampening inside. Ohh, I also lightened the stock 180 mm flywheel 1 kg and balanced them of course.
These engines ran very well, pulling a solid 60 hp and would easily outrun a stock 1600 dual port.
On one engine I went a little ballistic just to see how much I could get out of it without spending much more than time, So I asked my mates at Westspeed to grind me a cam that was CB 2239 intake and 2232 on exhaust. I spent a little more time on the heads and especially the valve job, bumped the CR to 9, used 1,25 rockers and a regular 1 3/8" header with a sgl quiet muffler. That engine pulls 73 hp @ 4900 and 120 Nm peak torque. That´s a fun little engine.
Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: