Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bulletproofing the cooling system
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
my hang up with the current self bleed deal is that clear tubing. pounding the internetz it doesn't have a very high temp rating or psi rating. most are good for 5psi @ 70*

granted, you can get plain old coolant hose in 1/4" but it's not clear.

i'm not bagging on the inventor, in fact i think it's a great idea. i'm just not a fan of adding a potential failure point with the clear tubing not rated at a minimum of 20psi @220*

1. Would the banjo bolt, with it's little tiny hole through it, act like a turbo oil feed restriction and reduce pressure?
2. If the coolant at the top of the radiator is 220F, the coolant at the motor has to be something like 320F. RIP.
3. If you want a clear observation tube, you could use 1/4" extruded acrylic tubing. It wouldn't be difficult to flame the ends and squash them for a ferrule. Just like people did for show cars in the early 2000s F&F era.
4. I remember going over this last time and the clear hose is well inside tolerance specs for its use. I don't think it's an issue. If it is in the future, you can be sure I will post about it.
4a. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Foot-HPS-1-4-ID-6mm-Hig...1195.m1851 Clear silicone hose that states it meets SAEJ20 standards for ethylene cooling systems
4b. https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Tubing-Foot-Piece-...4&th=1 Clear silicone tubing that states it is safe to 500F.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

Don’t forget that there are at least 2 plastic couplers in line if the heater hoses that join the long lengths to the molded hoses. Those always seem to be fairly heat cycled by the time you replace them. It’s a small part but you’re looking for reliability.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Don’t forget that there are at least 2 plastic couplers in line if the heater hoses that join the long lengths to the molded hoses. Those always seem to be fairly heat cycled by the time you replace them. It’s a small part but you’re looking for reliability.

And spend the big bucks, get the metal ones.

Dorman 5/8” x 5/8”

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-he...17190830-p

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

Whoa whoa whoa.. Nine dollars and 25 cents?

Slow your roll big spender! Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

wanted to update this.

i wanted to replace my front heater core hoses. they are available but of questionable quality.

everything in my cooling system is new...down to a NOS vw/audi radiator, the only exception is the front heater core, as it seems to be just fine (here's to hoping)

anyway i got down to business trying to figure out the front heater hose situation. 37 year old coolant hoses are nothing i personally want to trust. and Taiwanese hoses i'd trust even less

so after hours of digging i came up with Gates 28472 hose

it's a 90º Molded Heater Hose that is 5/8" x 52" or a 4" leg and 48" length after the 90

it's claim to fame is being SUPER flexible, which it is.... it's not stiff ass hose like normal 5/8 heater hose. you can tell by it's weave....much like a chinese finger or fishnet stockings.

you can literally almost tie it in a knot without kinking

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can see it here on the top

now both

if you do the Ferd heater valve it's almost like it was meant to be. it will work with the sucky VW valve as well.

photo here makes it look like it's close to the fan, but it's about 3/4" away...plenty of room and i haven't zip tied anything off yet

basically i trimmed the leg down to the length of the OE hose and went to town. they do sell this hose a bit shorter....i forget the p/n but wanted as long as i could get for wiggle room and honestly, it wasn't much of a price swing.

so for 20 bux you can get your ancient hoses the fuck out of the cab and not blow 25 bux a piece for taiwan junk

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
wanted to update this.

i wanted to replace my front heater core hoses. they are available but of questionable quality.

everything in my cooling system is new...down to a NOS vw/audi radiator, the only exception is the front heater core, as it seems to be just fine (here's to hoping)

anyway i got down to business trying to figure out the front heater hose situation. 37 year old coolant hoses are nothing i personally want to trust. and Taiwanese hoses i'd trust even less

so after hours of digging i came up with Gates 28472 hose

it's a 90º Molded Heater Hose that is 5/8" x 52" or a 4" leg and 48" length after the 90

it's claim to fame is being SUPER flexible, which it is.... it's not stiff ass hose like normal 5/8 heater hose. you can tell by it's weave....much like a chinese finger or fishnet stockings.

you can literally almost tie it in a knot without kinking

you can see it here on the top

now both

if you do the Ferd heater valve it's almost like it was meant to be. it will work with the sucky VW valve as well.

photo here makes it look like it's close to the fan, but it's about 3/4" away...plenty of room and i haven't zip tied anything off yet

basically i trimmed the leg down to the length of the OE hose and went to town. they do sell this hose a bit shorter....i forget the p/n but wanted as long as i could get for wiggle room and honestly, it wasn't much of a price swing.

so for 20 bux you can get your ancient hoses the fuck out of the cab and not blow 25 bux a piece for taiwan junk
Thanks for the info- hopefully it stays available and doesn’t disappear like so many other parts... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

according to Gates it's a very popular hose, doubt it will go anywhere. used on lots of classic stuff as well as RV's

Gates actually offers an amazing assortment of hoses if you can stomach searching for them.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: bulletproofing the cooling system Reply with quote

Few years back I found a Ford heater valve that when the heat was shut off the coolant was cut off from the core and routed back to the block.

At the time it seemed like a good idea because it stopped most of the coolant volume fluctuations from turning on or off the heat.
Seems to me that the heater circuit is also plumbed to involve the coolant bottle and was, for me causing the dash light to flash from coolant level in the bottle.
Flashing coolant light in a swapped van is a mandatory stop and look event.
Nothing bad ever happened to me but there's no way I could just keep driving.

I bought one but never had a chance to install it and around that time my project got parked into storage for reasons totally unrelated.

Anyone remember that or try it out ? The valve was vacuum or lever actuated. Would also require a little fab work to tie in to the control cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: