Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie w/ a problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Newbie w/ a problem Reply with quote

New to the WBX, had only AC Bays and a working knowledge based off Muir's guide. Not a real mechanic.
Recently driving home from 4 days camping, 5-10 minutes out of camp, the engine dies as I'm driving down the road; I coast to the side of the road. Engine wasn't hot. About 15 min on the side of the road, cranking intermittently but not starting -then it starts back up. Drive ~100 miles, it does it again. Engine quits. Wait 10-15 min. It starts again. Make it the last 60 miles home.
A month ago, while driving, the engine died in a similar manner, and would not start back up no matter how much time I gave it. Replaced the ignition control module; that seemed to correct it. It ran fine.
Now this.
Suggestions for troubleshooting from you experts?
Thanks
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie w/ a problem Reply with quote

You need to determine if it’s a spark problem or a fueling problem. A timing light is a quick clean way to test for spark. When it runs, can you hear the fuel pump buzzing? If so, that’s an indication of a potential fuel problem.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie w/ a problem Reply with quote

Inspect and clean all major grounds. Start with battery, engine (on the left), and tranmission.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie w/ a problem Reply with quote

If you find that you have spark when it dies, look at how the carburetor looks. Any icing? If it fixes itself in few minutes, could be icing.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie w/ a problem Reply with quote

As you're in the Land of Enchantment maybe it was hot when this occurred?

I have had the fuel pump relay fail on mine on a hot day -- only to recover after a brief cool down.

It's in here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can be tested, replaced with a good relay or just jumpered - unfortunately by the time you do any of those things may have cooled down and it will start even if the problem was something else.

As the pic shows, I used to carry spares right in the box but quit doing that as I was concerned they were impeding air circulation and exacerbating the over-heating.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie w/ a problem Reply with quote

I very much appreciate all your suggestions.
I will report back when I've gotten to check all these things. Fortunately, it doesn't die that frequently so I don't have that much opportunity to test it after it has died.
Any further suggestions will continue to be welcomed.
thank you
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie w/ a problem Reply with quote

If you replace the relays, you may as well replace them with fused relays. The fuel pump power is not fused. So that's not great. Easy way to add a fuse and replace the relay.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Fuse-Relay-Switch...NrPXRydWU=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: