Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Much better:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Lots of wiring progress today, mounted the bus bars, fuse boxes, relays, etc And started pulling wire.

I ended up adding a couple extra fan relays, this harness has two but I have three fans. I connected the lower temp “on” relay to the pusher, and then the second higher “on” relay output to a pair of 25 amp continuous that control the two puller fans. I’m trying to give this radiator set up every chance at success, they’re all on 12 gauge wire direct from the battery and grounded direct back to the battery.

All that’s left to do is clean up and loom, wire all the dash fuses/switches and lights in, then it’s time to test fire!

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Put in many more hours wiring today. Moving, adjusting, etc. to get everything tidy and ready for loom. I *should* be able to start this thing as it sits, just power the ignition wire and touch the starter wire to 12v+. I will finish the lights and test them before I put gas in the tank.

I have taken the time to through bolt absolutely everything on this thing with stainless or Grade 8 hardware so that slowed me down mounting the fuse panel, bus, etc. it’s Hard to hold a wrench on both sides of the firewall alone - I have built some custom wrench extenders to make it happen Dancing

Master cutoff, and dual fan relays. This doesn’t look like much but making all the cables and getting them to fit reasonably was challenging.

Fuse panel and ground bus under the dash. I have every wire run just need to connect the terminals and connect, a picture just looks like a spaghetti monster so I’ll keep them to myself

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Mounted the turn signal switch from motion Raceworks, and built a mount for some Amazon special horns - these things are LOUD. The mount bolts to the top two beam bolts and the horns are hidden behind the front license plate part of the body

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Horns mounted and wired in. I don’t have a provision for the brake failure light so I wired that into the horn circuit... it will be hard to ignore that warning LOL

I’m not sure how well it will work, since the two, 3 wire brake switches could open at slightly different rates and blip the horn each time I hit the brakes... I have never been in a vw with a working brake system warning light to see if it flickers when the brakes are depressed. I will find out pretty soon!

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

More wiring today, just have to tie/loom everything up and install the horn button. Tested all electrical systems today and they are good to go.

I used a whole bunch of diodes to control all the lights and switch color changes. It was quite a bit of work but it was worth it I think. Also heat shrunk everything so it should last a good while. My plug connectors worked too, I wasn’t sure how they would be to install but I didn’t have any issues.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Put coolant in and had a can of gas ready:

Only to find coolant pouring onto the ground. I had cracked an end tank on the radiator, no doubt when I test fit it 25+ times.... dammit.

Time to pull the engine/trans and try again... new radiator is already on the way
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

New radiator arrived today, really not looking forward to pulling the engine and trans again...

Dash is done

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Mounted the license plate (this is an old expired plate) and light, but don’t like how the light looks so I ordered a couple different ones and will give them a try.

Also Made a little mount for a white reverse light (more of a flood light) over the alternator. I don’t need this to be street legal but it will be nice to have

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Sorry to be late commenting on this, but seal up that bellhousing area for Baja. Silt gets inside, gets around the throw out bearing and hangs it up holding the clutch disengaged. Pay close attention to the GM starter block off plate to seal it up too on the now passenger side of the engine.

Since I had to pull the engine and trans out, I did seal up the adapter plate to trans with aviation sealant. I did not seal between the adapter plate and block since that would require removing the flywheel, but that is a much harder path for dirt and I can silicone the outside of that seam if I do make it to an event. The wosp starter adapter plate has holes in it so that’s is another dust intrusion point
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Pulled EVERYTHING back out... what a pain in the ass...

I swapped the radiator for the new one, resealed the brake light switch that was weeping oil, sealed the bell housing, swapped in some longer engine studs to get full thread engagement in the nuts, and took the opportunity with easy access to clean up and loom the wiring.

Ready to stuff this thing back in and fire it up!

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Engine and transaxle back in, all wiring except the battery and grounds on, intake on, fuel line connected, Bowden tube in place, same as last time... LOL but I was able to lay the wiring harness out a bit better and it fits/looks better.

Pics because maybe they will show something that could be useful to someone... but really just more of the same

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

I have to add a muffler to satisfy the inspection Checklist in Texas... well here is my “muffler” Twisted Evil

It’s 2.5” inlet/outlet and 4” long, should fit nicely in the exhaust I already built
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

oh the pain of having to do the same thing 10 times to get it right lol. Glad I found this thread though. Like an idiot I've only been paying attention to the HBB forum. Ive been doing suspension and cage work on my fiberglass buggy this past year and hope to do an ecotec and bus trans this winter. Your thoroughness is great. I'll be coming back to this a thread a lot.

before the work

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Man that suspension is just right on that thing, nice! That is very similar to what I want to upgrade to maybe next winter.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

First drive today!

Welded in the muffler:

Installed an Empi axle kit, but used type 1 CV joints outboard, if/when they go I’ll consider new stub axles or maybe longer arms and a suspension upgrade. The kit didn’t come with and snap rings for the axles so I robbed some off of the pile of type 1 axles I have laying around.

All systems together!

Here is my clutch cable splice... I don’t like it but it works. Stage 3 PP from Kennedy engineering and the pedal is LIGHT, I like it.

DROVE OUT OF THE SHOP!

Took it around the block with a passenger, shifter needs adjusting but otherwise no issues. I didn’t really get into the RPMs but even then it is fast for a little fiberglass tub. With only a driver it’s pretty rowdy, need to figure out how to upload videos (or just YouTube it).

Back in the garage, I installed mirrors, the shift knob and cover, it’s pretty much done just need to loom the dash wiring and cut the belts, put the windshield wiper on, and get it titled!

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Idle:

Link

Rev to ~ 6800:

Link

First drive, a little second gear WOT in there:

Link

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Modified one of the old rear view mirrors to mount a cheap manual wiper, which is required in Texas of you have a windshield.I need to trim the extra arm and mirror off but it works like it is

Fixed a small oil leak on the water pump cover, otherwise it’s running great. The fans don’t shut off once they come on due to the lack of a vss signal so I’ll have to come up with one and pin it to the ecu and tweak the tune, but it’s staying cool so far
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
The fans don’t shut off once they come on due to the lack of a vss signal so I’ll have to come up with one and pin it to the ecu and tweak the tune, but it’s staying cool so far

I'm following closely to see what your temps are at sustained speed so please do post your results.

As for the fan switch - in case you end up pulling the engine again or can get to the hot outlet port on the head, here is how Joe set up my fans to come on at temp and to shut off when it cools down. Sound like your ECM manages the power-on side so this should work for you too. https://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4480&p=29261#p29261

I'm glad to see your progress. Hope to see you at NORRA in 2022.

Bud
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44

Last edited by 1madmanx on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

I am also curious about cooling on the highway, and under higher load at low speed like off-road driving. I am trying to get it titled and insured - then i can really start playing with it.

NORRA ‘22 will be fun if I can make it happen. I will have to do a second “build” to get it race ready.

I almost have the speedometer ready to go back together, miles are reset, cleaned up a bit. I really like the old school mechanical gauge look

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: